Author Topic: ventoux trip.  (Read 1941 times)

ventoux trip.
« on: 20 September, 2017, 09:12:46 pm »
I have been trying to find out if you can fly to Avignon from the UK to cycle the mountain. Is this the best airport to use ?. It appears that Marseille is well served with flights but seems a long way away. Any help or advice welcome.It would be a summer 2018 trip. Is Avignon a summer only destination?

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: ventoux trip.
« Reply #1 on: 20 September, 2017, 09:39:04 pm »
Take the train?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2017, 10:03:58 pm »
Take the train?

This. Eurostar to Avignon is brilliant

« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2017, 10:11:30 pm »
You could fly to any nearby airport and then tale a train to getas close as you can.  Avignon is fine for a trip to Ventoux but you end leaving your bike to the care of baggage handlers. I like the train as the bike tends to be safer.

« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2017, 10:28:12 pm »
Or you can rent a bike in the area as well

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2017, 11:02:48 pm »
I last went in 2010 so my information is a bit out of date.  However:

Eurostar to Paris, ride/taxi from Gare du Nord to Gar de Lyon, catch the TGV.  It'll take you to either Marseilles or Avignon.  The TGV takes about two and a half hours and is a million times as spacious as a plane.

If you want to rent bikes, they have lots of decent road bikes in Bedoin, which went for about 30 euros per day when I was there - it'll presumably be a bit more now.

« Reply #6 on: 20 September, 2017, 11:55:14 pm »
Eurostar runs direct to Avignon now, at 185mph:)

Leave St Pancras 0720 and arrive Avignon TGV c1400 local time.

« Reply #7 on: 21 September, 2017, 10:15:58 am »
But I don't think they take bicycles on the Avignon service.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 21 September, 2017, 10:25:13 am »
But I don't think they take bicycles on the Avignon service.

Correct - hence Karla's suggestion of changing onto the TGV.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #9 on: 21 September, 2017, 10:35:46 am »
You can also do Eurostar St Pancras -> Lillle then TGV Lillle -> Avignon.

You only have to change platform at Lillle so its much more convenient than having to change stations in Paris.
Be aware that the TGV station in Avignon is a special new TGV station built on the outskirts of town not the old one in the centre so plan accordingly.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 21 September, 2017, 10:51:39 am »
Avignon is beautiful, the most attractive town of its size (ie, rather big) that I know.  However hop off the TGV at Orange, it's significantly closer and pleasanter onward trip to Malaucene, or Bedoin, for Ventoux.  From Avignon it's not too good by bike, owing to Carpentras being in the way.  I have detailed laney GPX from Orange to Bedoin via Beaumes, should you want.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #11 on: 21 September, 2017, 05:09:23 pm »
There is a new train service from Avignon to Carpentras for a tenner or so return. Bike friendly. Buses take bikes in the baggage hold. Hire of a 'sports tourer' is nearly 50E a day (ouch) June 2017. Have a look at OUIGO rail fares from Tourcoing - from 10E each way atm but no bike. If you book the direct Eurostar well ahead reasonable fares are to be had. Ps be aware that the ES booking fee when using a french travel pass is huge. 95 Euros for two, almost a fare in itself.

There are flights from Brum amongst others from £90 odd return. Avignon taxis are expensive. Beautiful city and good cycling.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: 22 September, 2017, 03:08:05 am »
Carpenters also has an excellent market, although that can be said of all the towns and villages provided you arr Be on the right day. Lovely area. Last time we went out didn't take abike, but ran most mornings around 9am in 25 to 28 degree temperatures - through vineyards and olive groves

« Reply #13 on: 16 November, 2017, 07:40:05 pm »
After a few weeks looking and learning as a group we have decided to fly Liverpool to Geneva and then cycle over two or three days down to the Ventoux area.My request this time is info on cycle routes from Geneva to the Ventoux area. Just a list of towns and villages to get a general direction without getting stuck on main roads for any long miles. Are there two routes ? somebody suggested one way down and another back. Or any towns that have good accommodation en route. Thanks.