Author Topic: Android phone and gmail weirdness  (Read 1400 times)

Android phone and gmail weirdness
« on: 17 November, 2017, 05:08:13 pm »
I have a problem with Gmail on my phone.

Fairly recently all the e-mails older than about a week stopped being displayed on my phone.
I was completely unable to scroll back past a certain date.

I searched everywhere, looking for solutions to sync problems etc. but found nothing that described the problem I was seeing, so eventually it proved so frustrating that I reset the phone.

Several weeks later and I have the same problem.

I have got a fair bit of data on the phone and have 1GB of storage left, so don;t think it's likely to be a storage issue.

Any ideas?

Re: Android phone and gmail weirdness
« Reply #1 on: 17 November, 2017, 06:07:35 pm »
If the problem is with the app, maybe use the webmail website using a browser.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 18 November, 2017, 12:15:33 pm »
I have a problem with Gmail on my phone.
Fairly recently all the e-mails older than about a week stopped being displayed on my phone.
I was completely unable to scroll back past a certain date.

Sounds like a blessing to me, not a problem.
However I'm fairly sure it's a setting in the app, how much is displayed/accessible.  And what inbox is your default view.
Of course a recent update to the app may have removed or buried these options, such is progress.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 18 November, 2017, 04:23:15 pm »
First check on the webmail, to see if the messages are still in your inbox. Maybe they have been moved or archived for some reason. Check if you have any filters setup.

For Android, you could try K9 Mail. It works fine with Gmail accounts, and has lots of options to tweak, for how many messages to load etc.

« Reply #4 on: 21 November, 2017, 10:28:57 am »
All the messages are accessible via the webmail app, albeit in font too tiny to do anything useful with.
There seem to have been a few tweaks rolled out in Android apps over the last few weeks that have made subtle changes all over the place.

It's maddening!

« Reply #5 on: 21 November, 2017, 12:58:18 pm »
Are you using the gmail app? (not just the gmail server).

If you are using the stock android email app (with a yellow coloured icon), then this has a setting for each mail service of "sync emails from" with a default of "Last week".

If that's the case then you can change the setting to "All" or maybe use the Gmail app.

Just a thought.

« Reply #6 on: 22 November, 2017, 09:53:20 pm »
Using the Gmail app..

« Reply #7 on: 23 November, 2017, 10:01:52 am »
Using the Gmail app..

Gmail app has a similar configuration setting for each account/server.   Under Settings | (e.g.) xxxx@gmail.com | "Days of mail to sync"