Author Topic: Reliable non gps computer.  (Read 2234 times)

Reliable non gps computer.
« on: 19 November, 2017, 10:18:25 pm »
I’m looking for a reliable computer to use with a route sheet as a backup to GPS on audaxes.

My current Sigma one conks out in the rain, which is suboptimal!

If I can programme the odometer with my current mileage that would be ideal, but not a deal breaker. Wired or wireless is fine, but if wireless it must work with a dynamo running!!

Any suggestions??

John

dim

Re: Reliable non gps computer.
« Reply #1 on: 20 November, 2017, 04:26:39 am »
buy a used garmin Edge 500 off Ebay ....
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #2 on: 20 November, 2017, 06:51:53 am »
If it had a battery life of over a year I’d buy one like a shot.... I don’t think it does...

John

« Reply #3 on: 20 November, 2017, 08:23:11 am »
IME, the wireless computers get affected by certain models of cars when they pass you (totally scrambles the readings).

Wired computers all suffer in the rain. Slavering vaseline over the contacts helps prevent this.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 20 November, 2017, 08:26:44 am »
I use the basic Wilko model. Can't program an odometer reading, I just make a note of the readings on the instruction leaflet when changing the battery. Haven't had any problems.

« Reply #5 on: 20 November, 2017, 09:27:04 am »
Mmm, if cars affect wireless that’s another reason to avoid. There seems to be an awful lot of radiation floating around these days, so I’m leaning heavily to wired.

VDO M3 (wired) looks to be ticking boxes with a few nice extras (thermometer, extra trip counter to measure legs etc), anyone any experience of that?

I might just try Vaseline on my current one, might be a cheaper option...

John

« Reply #6 on: 20 November, 2017, 09:42:20 am »
Mmm, if cars affect wireless that’s another reason to avoid. There seems to be an awful lot of radiation floating around these days, so I’m leaning heavily to wired.
BMW seem to be the worst. You are sitting in a queue of slow moving traffic, a BMW comes alongside, your speed shoots up to 999 - all measurements are shot to heck.   >:(

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 20 November, 2017, 01:07:15 pm »
Wired computers all suffer in the rain. Slavering vaseline over the contacts helps prevent this.

I've never had a wet contacts problem with any of my Specialized Speedzone computers (which is why I have 5 of them).  They have occasionally misted up after prolonged exposure to heavy rain, but continued working and dried out without long-term issues.  Thinking about it, they're relatively unusual in that the computer slides upwards/forwards into the bracket - this is annoying as they're prone to being kicked out when mounted on the derailleur post of a recumbent, but thinking about it, it probably does a fair bit to protect the contacts from rain.

Of course, they've completely changed the design.  The new ones are probably rubbish.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 20 November, 2017, 01:15:46 pm »

There's wireless and there's wireless.

The cheap ones use nearfield induction, and it's so marginal that it's impressive that they work at all.  They're horrendously intolerant of non-standard bike configurations resulting in longer signal paths to the sensors, and tend to object to strong EM fields, including but not limited to those generated by power lines, traffic-sensing induction loops, and some bicycle lights.

Somewhat better are the posh ones using Ant+/BluetoothLE.  This is proper frequency-hopping radio, so doesn't have the same range and interference problems, which is why I've used them on The Red Baron (to get around problems with positioning traditional speed and cadence sensors).  It's expensive, and there's a tedious wake-up-the-sensor-and-pair-it process every time you set off.

Wired computers, on the other hand, are fit-and-forget.  Change the battery every few years, maybe take extra measures to keep the contacts dry if necessary.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 20 November, 2017, 01:23:01 pm »
Wired computers, on the other hand, are fit-and-forget.  Change the battery every few years, maybe take extra measures to keep the contacts dry if necessary.
2nd-ed.

until last year's drastic venture into the world of GPS, I've happily used wired computers for centuries - just the occasional WD40 squirt on the contacts. I have stuck with fairly basic models with good reputations, which probably helps. They are so cheap you could stock 2 spares and still not notice the purchase on your CC bill.

(this reliability is a big reason I have been put off using GPS for so long - practically NO-ONE uses a GPS for long without a hitch. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 20 November, 2017, 01:42:46 pm »
In my mind they're different things.  GPS for navigation is often useful and occasionally infuriating.  GPS for logging tracks is lovely, if you care about such things, and hard to get really wrong.  Bike computers are for giving you a simple display of your speed, the time of day, and maintaining a bike-specific odometer.

It's a bit like the difference between a watch and a smartphone.  Yes, in both cases there are products that usefully blur the boundaries, but doing one thing well is a sound philosophy.

More critically, and as the OP is asking for, a traditional bike computer is a useful backup to a GPS for navigation when combined with a routesheet.  On that basis, I think it's right to prioritise reliability over fancy features, and reckon they'd be wise to avoid anything that requires remembering to press a button to wake it up before you start riding.

Samuel D

« Reply #11 on: 21 November, 2017, 01:31:32 am »
My wired Cateye Mity 3 hasn’t missed a beat in rain, and I’ve not so much as greased the contacts. (Maybe I’ve been lucky and should.) No other problems either, and the battery has lasted 18 months and counting.

It just works. I agree with Kim on the usefulness of a basic computer alongside a GPS receiver and furthermore that wired ones have certain important advantages over wireless.

« Reply #12 on: 21 November, 2017, 07:07:08 am »
Thanks for all the reply’s. I’m definitely sticking with wired.

I used to have a Cateye, many moons ago, but replaced it after it started jumping out of it’s mount. Are they more secure now?

John

« Reply #13 on: 21 November, 2017, 08:07:34 am »
I purchased a catseye enduro heavy  duty wired computer ( it's wot it says on the box ) about 6 months ago .  The cable is really thick  compared to other computers I have used .  The head unit is very secure .  . Its fitted to my longer distance bike so I don't remove the head unit. I think removing computers for tea stops / swooping bikes  weakens the mounts. I am weird and have it mounted under the seat so its out of the rain and sight of thieving $hite   Colin
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #14 on: 21 November, 2017, 08:11:46 am »
Thanks, the enduro is on the short list...

John

Samuel D

« Reply #15 on: 21 November, 2017, 08:20:02 am »
I used to have a Cateye, many moons ago, but replaced it after it started jumping out of it’s mount. Are they more secure now?

Not sure. My Mity 3 is an older model, and I help the little tab spring up to lock the computer in place. I take no chances with that and haven’t had a problem.

« Reply #16 on: 21 November, 2017, 08:27:43 am »
Cateye Mity 2. Best bike computer ever! I just wish I could find the head unit. Then only need to move the sensor and wires over to my current bike.

Seriously good. Never had issues with contacts, never had any issues full stop. Plus IIRC every time the battery went I seem to recall the memory wasn't lost. If that's still the case I'll have my max speed of 58mph still on it!  :)

BTW what mity number are they up to and are they any good still? It was given the best bike computer in a cycling mag review too! So it's not just me who rates it.  I could be behind the times. BTW what Mity number are they up to now?

Samuel D

« Reply #17 on: 21 November, 2017, 08:41:39 am »
Cateye Mity 2. Best bike computer ever!

Probably true. There was some discussion about this model and others in my old thread here. When I dug into the details, no current Cateye was as useful to me as the Mity 2 (or the old Mity 3 I ended up finding on eBay. The 3 is similar to the 2 except for a second trip computer, a less intuitive but arguably faster operating method, and cheaper construction quality).

They got up to the Mity 8 before the line was discontinued, but that doesn’t mean there were loads of models. I think there was the original, the 2 that we both liked so much, the 3 that I have now, and finally the 8.

The Enduro, mentioned above, is perhaps the best of the current lot. But it’s no Mity.

« Reply #18 on: 21 November, 2017, 08:51:41 am »
I thought I saw a mity 5 when I last looked. A few years back there was one on ebay I think new.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #19 on: 21 November, 2017, 09:39:31 am »
I use (and like) the VDO M series cycle computers. (I have M4 models ~£40)
They are not expensive for what you get. (£15 for M0 to £85 for M6) I have found them reliable and interference free on the wireless one I have.
Up to M4 are wired or wireless.
M4 and  above have altitude functions built in.
You can set the lifetime odometers for two bicycles.