Author Topic: Anyone considered home generation of leccy?  (Read 5308 times)

Re: Anyone considered home generation of leccy?
« Reply #25 on: 13 December, 2017, 08:46:03 am »
Non-metered water supply - just run a turbine powered by your mains water supply.  :demon:
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #26 on: 13 December, 2017, 09:36:25 am »
Hmmm.  the more I think about CHP the more I like the idea.  We primarily use the heating from November through to April and these are the months of least sunshine.  A CHP, some PV and a storage battery and we'd possibly be covered for electricity year round.   

I know that you get nothing for free so I'm wondering whether having the Sterling Engine in the 'boiler' affects the efficiency of the boiler at heating water for the central heating and domestic hot water at all.

When our boiler comes up for replacement I might just consider this.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 13 December, 2017, 02:11:08 pm »
Non-metered water supply - just run a turbine powered by your mains water supply.  :demon:

In the days before ubiquitous electricity, this was ocasionally done to power small appliances.  Until it was banned.

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2013/09/power-from-the-tap-water-motors.html

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #28 on: 13 December, 2017, 06:45:13 pm »

How about using the wind.......crap idea?

« Reply #29 on: 13 December, 2017, 07:43:07 pm »
How about using the wind.......crap idea?

For the OP, yes - Ham's in London. Far too turbulent airflow to make it sensible, and that's before the planners express an opinion.

Elsewhere, I think it sometimes makes sense, but only at a scale much bigger than the rooftop turbines that were all the rage a few years ago (and that CMD installed - or said he was installing - in Notting Hill).

« Reply #30 on: 13 December, 2017, 09:21:37 pm »
Some examples of small hydro electric systems. http://www.derwent-hydro.co.uk/our_sites/  The owners are friends of ours but I know little more than this

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #31 on: 14 December, 2017, 08:45:44 am »
If you have access to a stream, you could always use a system similar to a ground source heat pump for home heating.

Not if you live in Stratford, London, Obvs.

« Reply #32 on: 14 December, 2017, 09:25:27 am »
I've not looked at costs of micro-hydro or small wind power recently but 10 years ago when I was selling small wind turbines and solar etc the costs for both hydro and wind were both in the order of £5k+ per kW of generation capacity and both involved a good deal of hassle with permitting either from the Environment Agency or the local planning authority or both.  I am a renewables enthusiast but except for charging leisure batteries for your boat or other remote use small wind power is very poor value.  Within the built environment turbulent wind flow combined with the low efficiency of tiny turbines renders them next to useless.  With the complexity of installation and relatively low volume of units I don't imagine costs have changed substantially for the better in the intervening years.  Solar PV by comparison is at least 70% cheaper since the FIT was introduced in 2010 and £5-7k should get you a 3-4 kW roof mounted array.

re: using water as the source heat for a ground source heat pump this is an option, either via a closed loop/heat exchanger or open loop system.  However, surface water probably runs colder in winter months than the ground at 2m depth so it'd be a trade off between install cost and system efficiency.

« Reply #33 on: 14 December, 2017, 10:13:10 am »
If you have access to a stream, you could always use a system similar to a ground source heat pump for home heating.

.....although there is an underground river somewhere directly below me, getting it might be a little disruptive.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #34 on: 14 December, 2017, 10:41:49 am »

.....although there is an underground river somewhere directly below me, getting it might be a little disruptive.
How does this work? I'm on a committee responsible for a building, medium-sized house, which has a small stream running through its cellar. This requires constant pumping to prevent a flood – when someone turned the pump off for a week without telling anyone, water level rose to about 1m – which uses a lot of electricity. The stream is small and there's no vertical head so generating electricity is probably not possible. I had thought about getting the stream to drive its own pump mechanically – needs to be looked into – but heat pump might be interesting too. I know nothing of how it works though?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #35 on: 14 December, 2017, 10:53:31 am »
Usually you need a stretch of stream so you can lay a good length of pipe in it, in a loop. It works like a fridge in reverse.

You can't really work from just a point - it would be very inefficient and the water would probably start to freeze.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #36 on: 14 December, 2017, 12:07:24 pm »
It goes all round the cellar and under the garden, I think it length might not be a problem but expect the stream is just too small.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #37 on: 14 December, 2017, 01:36:46 pm »

How does this work? I'm on a committee responsible for a building, medium-sized house, which has a small stream running through its cellar. This requires constant pumping to prevent a flood – when someone turned the pump off for a week without telling anyone, water level rose to about 1m – which uses a lot of electricity. The stream is small and there's no vertical head so generating electricity is probably not possible. I had thought about getting the stream to drive its own pump mechanically – needs to be looked into – but heat pump might be interesting too. I know nothing of how it works though?

I doesn't and wouldn't work for me either.

FTR, the area I'm in is called "Aldersbook" - there's a hint somewhere there - which was an edwardian development,  in the grounds of a 18th century mansion and country park, which included landscaping and substantial water featurage by Bloody Stupid Johnson or some such. Whatever, the brook that fed into the Roding is long since underground, and as we are sat on gravel, makes little difference. Little difference that is, apart from a select few houses in our road whose cellars flood, indicating where it probably still flows. I dug a sump and lobbed a float switched pump into it, it only has to work occasionally for stretches of a few days at a time.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #38 on: 14 December, 2017, 03:20:46 pm »
I watched with interest Red Dwarf's Robert Llewellin's Youtube channel about his own Tesla Powerbank. He charges it though Solar and off peak lecky, and uses it to then power the house and car charging during peak hours.

He also looks (later on, links below) at a small new build scheme in Shetland who have wind and solar to charge Tesla Powerbank's attached to each house.

If I were to build myself a new house, I'd be looking to install a Tesla Powerbank along with Solar and Wind generation.

Locally a stream runs through our house, and I see a house with it in it's back garden which is crying out for a small power generation scheme, run along the lins of a 4 inch Downpipe tube with an impeller charging batteries.

Dave C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB6jyy0Joq8 (Tesla in Robert Llewellyn's garage)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEh7V9_uIqM&t=352s (Orkney - Building the Future)
http://www.powerspout.com/
http://www.home-energy-metering.com/micro-hydro.html
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #39 on: 14 December, 2017, 05:51:06 pm »
It goes all round the cellar and under the garden, I think it length might not be a problem but expect the stream is just too small.

If you google “energy blades” you’ll eventually find (after various light sabres) a series of suppliers of finned metalwork designed for submersion as water source heat collectors. There are some quite architectural ones.