Author Topic: Android/Smartphone GPX tracking/navigation Apps  (Read 1960 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Android/Smartphone GPX tracking/navigation Apps
« on: 30 January, 2018, 10:05:36 am »
I'm increasingly thinking that smartphone navigation/tracking apps are the way to go for riders not particularly interested in the training bells and whistles (HRM/Cadence/Power Meters, Strava Integration, whatev.) and simply want to follow a preset route and record their progress.

Advice/Recommendations on GPS Apps and phone mounts welcome. :)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: Android/Smartphone GPX tracking/navigation Apps
« Reply #1 on: 05 February, 2018, 11:29:19 am »
Have a look at AAT.  I only use it for recording a gpx of rides (for which it works well) so I can't comment on it's other features.  Available from f-droid and it has a light set of permission requirements.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2 on: 05 February, 2018, 02:58:26 pm »
For android apps look at Osmand or Locus Maps.  I've used both and prefer the paid for version of Locus Maps (a stunning £6).

My current bike mount is one of these which allows a plastic bag as rainproofing should the situation require it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-MTB-Bike-Bicycle-Handlebar-Mount-Mobile-Phone-Holder-GPS-iPhone-X-LG/112667147513?_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170912102017%26meid%3D2dd07dfb35df4a24b0b40e1e725d459a%26pid%3D100706%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D112667147513&_trksid=p2045573.c100706.m4781

I have used plastic holders in the past and they are fine but usually die due to stress failures from poor design.

This specific model fitted by needs well as I have a large phone (Huawei Honor Note 8 = 6.6 inch screen)

« Reply #3 on: 05 February, 2018, 03:53:27 pm »
Yesterday with no navigation req'd, instead of my usual Etrex, I thought I'd log a ride just on my phone using the resurrected MyTracks.  What could possibly go wrong I thought.  mid ride - stopped and took some  photos using phone, then looked down and phone was restarting!  Don't know if it was a crash or i fumbled buttons to cause it.  Anyway fortunately the logging had autosaved somehow.  I have definitely had previous Strava crashes (and lost all) when taking pics, and gave up 2/3yrs ago with OsmAnd due to the ease of of messing up navigation display by fumbling something, and inexplicable crashes.  I do like the OsmAnd display/functionality, and it may be more stable on Android 7.  Etrex for the moment.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 05 February, 2018, 05:57:50 pm »
You don't have to use the same app for everything. You can use several apps to do different things.

For logging a track, I like GPS Logger for Android. It is simple and reliable, and lots of options to tweak if you want. You can decrease the recording frequency to save battery life. https://code.mendhak.com/gpslogger/

OsmAnd is pretty good for maps and navigation, it has quite a lot of features. Though can be a bit confusing.

Maps.Me can be good for quick and easy maps, and simple routing.

« Reply #5 on: 06 February, 2018, 12:11:17 am »
I'm a hardcore phone GPSer. So much so that I've written (shameless plug) my own app for navigating. I simultaneously use Strava for logging and find it very reliable, at least if you have a phone with enough RAM that launching the camera doesn't cause Strava to be killed.

The Quadlock cases are very good and have a great range of mounts. I leave my Quadlock case on all the time as it does a great job protecting the phone without making it bulky.

I recommend using a waterproof phone, which includes the iPhone 7/8/X and a subset of Sonys and Samsungs. Charging the phone in the wet is solved by Vaselining the plug thoroughly (don't do this with a phone where the charging port isn't sealed from the phone innards!).