Author Topic: Just funny  (Read 1773 times)

Just funny
« on: 02 February, 2018, 09:43:13 pm »
We don't have a thread for this I think so I'll start one.

Just now on Twitter:

The first rule of Jacob Rees-Mogg Fight Club is non loqui de pugna clava.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Re: Just funny
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2018, 09:59:39 pm »
And now I'm conflicted.

Laughing at the MP for the 17th century - good
Laughing at a Latin joke - bad for working class credentials

Best have a another drink and ponder.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2018, 10:03:58 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2018, 10:02:25 am »
And now I'm conflicted.
No, no, _no_.  It _is_ funny and since when did knowing Latin or anything else for that matter make anyone a "class traitor"?  Think on the Workers' Education Association and Ruskin College (1) and $deity$ knows how many working class auto-didacts.   There are many, many things wrong with British attitudes, but the, "I am working class therefore I have no right to be intelligent nor to be well educated and furthermore I must work resolutely and unceasingly to remain uneducated and fit only for the most menial employment." mindset must be one our very worst failings.  That attitude makes my blood boil.  Almost as much as the decades long and persistent underinvestment in state education and the recent gutting of the arts and creative subjects in state schools makes me want to visit mediaevel levels of violence on those responsible for it; especially that arch-hypocrite and enthusiastic promulgator of austerity, Gideon.

[1]
This from Ruskin's web-site.
"Our founders understood that education is power.

Founded in 1899 at a time of ferment in political and educational ideas, Ruskin College aimed to provide university-standard education for working class people to empower them to act more effectively on behalf of working class communities and organisations such as trade unions, political parties, co-operative societies and working men's institutes."
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #4 on: 04 February, 2018, 01:18:23 pm »
If people want to intimate that they are well educated, it would be a good idea if the Latin they use actually means something.

« Reply #5 on: 05 February, 2018, 09:47:56 am »
And now I'm conflicted.
No, no, _no_.  It _is_ funny and since when did knowing Latin or anything else for that matter make anyone a "class traitor"?  Think on the Workers' Education Association and Ruskin College (1) and $deity$ knows how many working class auto-didacts.   There are many, many things wrong with British attitudes, but the, "I am working class therefore I have no right to be intelligent nor to be well educated and furthermore I must work resolutely and unceasingly to remain uneducated and fit only for the most menial employment." mindset must be one our very worst failings.  That attitude makes my blood boil.  Almost as much as the decades long and persistent underinvestment in state education and the recent gutting of the arts and creative subjects in state schools makes me want to visit mediaevel levels of violence on those responsible for it; especially that arch-hypocrite and enthusiastic promulgator of austerity, Gideon.

I totally agree and was just being humorous.
It was also a dig at some of the Momentum and assorted left wing idiots that keep tweeting about how Labour is for the true working class and not the middle class (which they define bas anyone who goes to university) whilst being lead someone who went to private school and Camrbidge but that really belongs in POBI.