Author Topic: Any other moonies here?  (Read 1123 times)

Any other moonies here?
« on: 03 February, 2018, 12:22:34 pm »
No not the cult, the moon saddle https://www.moonsaddle.com/

(apologies to anyone offended by the subject, I know that cults are not really a joke)

Why on earth would I want to?  Well, medical circumstances dictate.

About 5 or 6 years ago, the pad on my worn out, discount store winter types started to come unstitched and caused a small abrasion wound between the top of my thigh and the adjacent scrotum.

Lots of sudocrem and I kept going but it never really healed.  A year or more later I went to my GP who tried titanium barrier cream, clotrimazole 1% hydro-cortisone (in case it was a fungal infection), zeroaqs cream for washing, but again it never really healed.  I persisted with a couple more GP visits but kept on cycling, using lots of Assos chamois cream.

Last year I went back to the GP and got sent of to a urologist (!).  When I saw the urologist, the first thing he said was "why didn't the GP send you to a dermatologist?  Ah, I see.....".  Diagnosis was a persistant ulcer that need to be surgically removed, probably no cycling for at least 6 weeks.

Had the surgery, but after 6 weeks the wound still felt very fragile and I didn't risk cycling (finaly some common sense!).  Then a follow-up after 2 months and the surgeon agreed it still needed longer.

After about 3 months, I did some 15-20 minute gentle turbo trainer rides, but after 2 days in succession there was definitely swelling and inflammation.  I really want this to be cured!

As at least some of the problem is due to chubby thighs,even with the narrowest of racing saddles, I thought I would research alternative perches.  The most radical solution is the Moon Saddle so I ordered one from the US (no dealer in France and crazy shipping prices from the UK European dealer).

I put the Moon saddle on the Kona hybrid that I had planned to use for my 8km commute mosty through a forest.  The zero layback was intensely uncomfortable.  Cycle fit was going to be interesting, as all my usual reference points were missing (tip of saddle, etc.).

Tried a Kalloy 20mm setback post from a nearby emporium, still left me with knee about 2.5cm in front of pedal spindle - KOPS is only a guide at best, I know.

So splashed out on a gorgeous Nitto S84 steel lugged seat post with 45mm setback.

After a week in transit from Roisy airport just NE of Paris to my place, just SW of Paris, it was delivered this morning by a nice lady from La Poste on a bicycle!

So out to the garage and a seat post swap.  The S84 does weigh 440gm and will be very handy with intruders, if it doesn't work out on the bike :)

Almost instant comfort, 30 minutes turbo time, with a couple of short breaks to adjust height and angle, but zero adverse reaction or discomfort.

Now waiting to see what happens if I do the same tomorrow and the day after, but I am confidently optimistic.

It will be interesting to see what the Moon saddle is like on the road.

Please don't be like me, there are situations where it is really best to stop and let things heal properly!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Any other moonies here?
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2018, 01:22:55 pm »
Looks a  bit like a Proust saddle.  I know a bloke who uses one of those - he has thighs like barrels.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Samuel D

« Reply #2 on: 03 February, 2018, 01:39:11 pm »
I’m not a moonie but I live in Paris and wonder where you ordered the Nitto S84. I’ve been thinking about one of those as a cure-all for the steep seat tubes on nearly every bicycle on the market.

With the saddle in the photo, how do you stabilise the bicycle laterally? Friction alone?

« Reply #3 on: 03 February, 2018, 02:40:43 pm »
I got the post from Planet X in the UK.

I haven't tried the saddle on the road yet and other users do comment that it it takes a while to adapt to, particularly not being able to press against the saddle to control turns.  Fortunately, there are some off road tracks around here (78860).

The angle of the seat is not quite as extreme as the picture shows.  The front of the lugged top is pretty much horizontal.

I believe the frame in the picture has a 74 degree seat tube.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 03 February, 2018, 02:54:15 pm »
I can relate to this.  Several years ago I acquired an abscessy thing at the edge of the thigh due to cycling for too long in damp civvies, which took forever to heal because the scar tissue kept breaking open whenever I rode my bike.  Eventually resolved it by switching to alternative (badly fitting) underwear for a while which didn't irritate the area quite as much, a strict "no saddles without cycling-specific shorts + arse lard" policy and a few months of sticking to a recumbent for everything more than ride to the shops.

I'm generally of the opinion that bike saddles, while occasionally necessary, are a fundamentally silly idea.  Is half a saddle half as silly?  Sounds like it might be, at least for road riding (I think I'd miss a saddle nose too much on the MTB).

I'm sure controlling the bike is fine once you get the hang of it.  I'd guess you just have to get used to using the handlebars more for fine control like you do on a recumbent, rather than shifting your weight around.