Author Topic: Reflective ankle straps.  (Read 3652 times)

Re: Reflective ankle straps.
« Reply #25 on: 17 February, 2018, 06:04:12 pm »
The sprigy slap wraps fail by the reflective plastic cover splitting and coming off. The velcro ones last much longer

« Reply #26 on: 17 February, 2018, 07:01:31 pm »
I don't know if I've got fat ankles, but slap bands with trousers never seem to be long enough, and I've had them fall off.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #27 on: 17 February, 2018, 07:07:07 pm »
Wasn't there a report recently saying that HiVis on the lower leg was the most effective position for visibility?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 17 February, 2018, 07:18:50 pm »
Wasn't there a report recently saying that HiVis on the lower leg was the most effective position for visibility?

That's certainly my anecdotal experience of spotting cyclists on the road at night.  Altura Night Vision tights are outstandingly attention-grabbing in a way that screams 'cyclist' (I'd say more effectively than flashing rear lights), and you can identify a ninja BSOist by the motion of a single pedal reflector at surprising range.

I'm sceptical of how much this stuff actually reduces accidents, but the way I see it, if you're going to make cycling-specific longs, cycling-specific shoes, trouser-retention straps, etc. they might as well have some reflective on them.  (FWIW, I consider pedal reflectors to be a Good Idea where the design can reasonably accommodate them.)

Requiring participants in a cycling event wear reflective ankle straps is another matter entirely, but it seems somewhat more evidence-based than requiring them to wear hi-vis bibs.

« Reply #29 on: 19 February, 2018, 01:39:43 pm »
I make my own reflective Velcro leg bands.
Sports Direct sell cheap yellow reflective 'Sam Browne' belts, which I cannibalise. Buy self-adhesive Velcro from John Lewis.
Ideal length: 32cm (leg band) with 9cm Velcro. I also have some slightly longer arm bands for winter worn over my jacket: 36cm band with 9cm Velcro.

rr

« Reply #30 on: 20 February, 2018, 12:54:35 pm »
Aldi/Lidl regularly do them with the addition of LEDs.
Fabric inside yellow or white retro reflective outside. I've got some spares available for cost if you're in a hurry.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk