Author Topic: Inguinal Hernia ... How Long before you can ride again?  (Read 1469 times)

dim

Inguinal Hernia ... How Long before you can ride again?
« on: 01 April, 2018, 08:21:02 pm »
about a year ago, whilst standing and cycling up a very steep hill, I felt a pain in my groin. (left hand side) ....

I thought that I pulled a muscle.... pain went away but from time to time, I still got a slight discomfort, especially when climbing hills ... I ignored it

a few weeks ago, whilst at work, I lifed a heavy object, and it felt like I got a cramp in the muscle right next to my nuts (I actually doubled over in pain and the best way that I can explain it, is that it's like a bad cramp in your calf muscle, but it also feels like a hot knife being stabbed into the muscle (if that makes sense)  :)

I went ot the GP, and he diagnosed it as a inguinal hernia .... 5 months waiting in Cambridge NHS to get it sorted

some day's I'm fine .... some days I suffer bad . I still have to cycle to work as I don't have a car, and I work at several sites during the day (self employed .... no work = no pay) .... I average approx 200Km/week just commuting to work .... I start work at 05h30 and get back home at 19h30 .... public transport is out of the question, so I have to cycle .,.. I'm cycling slow and no pains from cycling

my GP is going to try and get the surgeon to do the surgery quicker

my question: How long do I have to rest before cycling again? (I have to make sure that I have enough spare money to pay rent and put food on the table)

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Inguinal Hernia ... How Long before you can ride again?
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2018, 08:43:06 pm »
Have you searched for previous hernia threads on yacf?

You are NOT alone!

dim

« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2018, 08:45:10 pm »
Have you searched for previous hernia threads on yacf?

You are NOT alone!

thanks  :thumbsup:.... I will search this forum

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2018, 10:27:25 pm »
Can you rent/lease a car until you're through this medical situation? Expensive, but under the circumstances it might make life easier.

Best wishes for a thorough recovery.

simonp

« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2018, 11:14:27 pm »
I was advised no cycling for 6 weeks.

dim

« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2018, 10:59:06 am »
Can you rent/lease a car until you're through this medical situation? Expensive, but under the circumstances it might make life easier.

thanks .... problem is that I work at several sites in Cambridge city, and parking is scarce. At 2 of my sites, I need to get parking permits from the house owners.

I may look for a cheap used motorbike (Honda C90 or similar), as I do have a motorbike licence, or even a decent e-bike

I had big plans for cycling this year, and even went so far as buying a  gravel bike for Audax .... I've had my bike for 3 weeks now and am riding at slow pace (average 17km/hr) ... I cannot wait to see what it's like when I'm able to ride at speed  :'( ....

I've been reading some older threads on YACF where people have had hernia surgery .... looks like the concensus is that one should not cycle for at least 6 weeks after surgery