Author Topic: Source of larger size cycling caps/casquettes?  (Read 3566 times)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Source of larger size cycling caps/casquettes?
« on: 05 April, 2018, 07:56:36 pm »
I usually wear a cap under my helmet on the 'bent, largely to keep rain out of my eyes, and occasionally (ha ha) the sun.

I have 3 -and all were a bit small when new, but having been washed a few times, they all now give me a headache because they are all too tight. They were all "one size fits all" because there were no other options. Buying another and not washing it is not an option.

I've consulted the interweb and people seem to complain routinely that the "one size fits all" really doesn't and that no-one seems to stock them in a larger size.  That seems to agree with my own researches.  Does anyone know of a retailer/manufacturer that has larger sizes?

I've tried a baseball cap - but they are a bit too warm now that the mercury's gone  up a bit.

Re: Source of larger size cycling caps/casquettes?
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2018, 08:13:31 pm »
There’s a seller on eBay called smith-London who makes caps. The XL ones are good...

John

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 05 April, 2018, 08:26:06 pm »
Walz caps are available in a large/extra large size. They fit my big head anyway.
Their technical polyester caps are good because they are a bit stretchier. Plus thinner, good for warmer weather.
https://www.walzcaps.com

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 05 April, 2018, 08:35:02 pm »
Vulpine have/ had cycling caps in three sizes. Rapha have several sizes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #4 on: 05 April, 2018, 08:52:57 pm »
Prendas have just added a large one to their range, always great vfm and quality. https://www.prendas.co.uk/collections/headwear/products/prendas-il-grande-black-cotton-cap
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 05 April, 2018, 09:32:36 pm »
Vulpine have/ had cycling caps in three sizes. Rapha have several sizes.
I've got a couple of Vulpine cotton caps in large. They are bigger diameter, but not really any deeper. So they just sit on the top of my head, not around it, and can blow off in the wind. I also have a Vulpine winter cap in large, it is a better fit for me. It is deeper, with ear flaps which keep it in place.
Not sure if Vulpine are still making any caps anyway.

« Reply #6 on: 05 April, 2018, 09:47:55 pm »
Prendas have just added a large one to their range, always great vfm and quality. https://www.prendas.co.uk/collections/headwear/products/prendas-il-grande-black-cotton-cap

We have created these il Grande cotton caps for people with head circumferences larger than 58cm who sometimes struggle to fit our one size fits all caps.

Err...I've just measured my head, about 60cm, but my standard one-size-fits-all cap goes on my without a problem. It's the elastic at the back that holds the cap onto the head.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 05 April, 2018, 09:50:28 pm »
Walz caps are available in a large/extra large size. They fit my big head anyway.
Their technical polyester caps are good because they are a bit stretchier. Plus thinner, good for warmer weather.
https://www.walzcaps.com

Second the recommendation for them being good in warm weather and a bit stretchy.  (The wool ones are good for winter, too, if you can avoid accidentally machine-washing them.)

Can't vouch for the size - I have the opposite problem and found the smaller Walz caps had the novel feature of actually staying on my head when riding a recumbent at speed.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #8 on: 05 April, 2018, 10:03:27 pm »
Thx for the suggestions - I've ordered a Prendas Il Grande to try out.

Andy

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #9 on: 09 April, 2018, 05:50:04 pm »
Il Prendas Il Grande e perfetto.  Mille grazie a tutti.

« Reply #10 on: 09 April, 2018, 08:16:37 pm »
I've consulted the interweb and people seem to complain routinely that the "one size fits all" really doesn't and that no-one seems to stock them in a larger size.
As the owner of a 66cm head, I'm inclined to prosecute such clothing manufacturers for breach of the Trades Descriptions Act.

I got several CTC cotton caps made up some years back. I'm trying to remember who used to make the CTC clothing - was it Impsport? Anyway, they made 25% larger than "one size fits all", and I don't think they even charged me extra.

« Reply #11 on: 10 April, 2018, 09:51:06 pm »
As the owner of a 66cm head, I'm inclined to prosecute such clothing manufacturers for breach of the Trades Descriptions Act.

... wow and there was I thinking my 62cm swede was outsize :o 

I've tried Walz caps before and although they sort of fit... the overall effect is just too comical to wear on its own :-[  Following Andy's feedback I've just ordered a Prendas il Grande to try as they claim it will fit up to 62cm... let's see!
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #12 on: 10 April, 2018, 11:04:56 pm »
Pah. It's barely more than medium.

I've mentioned elsewhere that my LBS took ten years to find a helmet that sort of fits. It's too precious actually to wear, of course, so it stays in a helmet case, except for things where helmets are mandatory. Prior to the LBS coming up trumps, my club had offered to hold me upside down in a vat of molten polystyrene.

My first club got me a winter hat, again 25% larger than one-size-fits-all, as part of a clothing order. I still have it, forty years later.

Story goes that when my father joined the army for national service, there wasn't a beret in the stores large enough. I know my Scout berets were made as a special order - they had to hand-write the size label because they didn't have printed ones in 8 1/8.

« Reply #13 on: 10 April, 2018, 11:42:59 pm »
Story goes that when my father joined the army for national service, there wasn't a beret in the stores large enough. I know my Scout berets were made as a special order - they had to hand-write the size label because they didn't have printed ones in 8 1/8.
I reckon that story was true... I did service with the RAF and the largest head wear available was 63cm or 7 5/8" IIRC.  Hooray for Baden Powell for accommodating the cranially well endowed, those were the days :thumbsup:
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #14 on: 11 April, 2018, 08:00:43 am »
Brilliant, have you got more of those?

Fortunately, I do mean berets, because my head is also aerodynamically-shaped compared to the norm (longer and thinner). Berets, cycling caps and the old leather hairnets just shape themselves accordingly. Those traditional Scout hats, and cycle helmets, come pre-formed in the "normal" shape, which just adds to the problem...

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #15 on: 11 April, 2018, 11:58:59 am »
Following Andy's feedback I've just ordered a Prendas il Grande to try as they claim it will fit up to 62cm... let's see!

Not entirely sure I like the Prendas logo splattered large all over the peak, but if it keeps the rain and sun out of my eyes without giving me a headache from compressing my skull, I suppose it'll be worth it.  Lets' hope it doesn't shrink too much after it's been wet.

FWIW, I was in Tweeks Cycles at the w/e, and idly tried on a Sportful cap - that was a generous size too, not as big as the Prendas, but may be an option - if you want to pay that price!

« Reply #16 on: 11 April, 2018, 01:23:49 pm »

« Reply #17 on: 11 April, 2018, 10:47:36 pm »
I meant the cigarette card with Scouts on???