Author Topic: Euro Tour 2018  (Read 3105 times)

Euro Tour 2018
« on: 14 April, 2018, 09:47:35 am »
I appear to have just booked myself and my bicycle onto a ferry from Portsmouth to Santander in early June.

I aim to ride home through Spain, France, Andorra, Monaco, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium and The Netherlands. Then ferry back to Harwich.

Best go out and get some miles in...  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Re: Euro Tour 2018
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2018, 10:38:21 am »
Why ?   You'll be fit enough by about day 4.

:-)
Rust never sleeps

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2018, 12:04:16 pm »
When in early June?  I'll be staying round the Tourmalet on the 2nd-3rd and riding to Porto for probably the 9th - wanna say hi?

« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2018, 12:30:53 pm »
When in early June?  I'll be staying round the Tourmalet on the 2nd-3rd and riding to Porto for probably the 9th - wanna say hi?

My ferry leaves on the 9th I'm afraid. Got any tips for riding through the Pyrenees?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2018, 01:08:25 pm »
Take some gears...

Oh, and make sure you have some warm gloves if you are intending to ride the highest roads. There was an awful incident a year or two ago in which a woman, quite a fit cyclist, started off in hot weather but the mist came down at higher levels and her hands become too cold to operate the brakes. she went over the edge.

Edit: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/devoted-mother-plunged-death-mountain-12226715

That report doesn't mention cold hands contributing to her loss of control ,but I'm pretty sure I read a report at the time in which that was mentioned.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2018, 09:22:03 pm »
Enjoy it. I'm not jealous. Not at all.

Honest . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2018, 10:41:34 pm »
Enjoy it...... envy deep envy.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2018, 11:25:10 pm »

My ferry leaves on the 9th I'm afraid. Got any tips for riding through the Pyrenees?

Dunno, I've never been.  I'll tell you on the 8th shall I?

« Reply #8 on: 17 April, 2018, 10:17:25 am »
How long have you set aside for this Bobb?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: 17 April, 2018, 10:35:21 am »
How long have you set aside for this Bobb?

As long as it takes!

My last Euro tour was a bit over 2000 miles and took 5 weeks. This could well be a little shorter, so maybe 4 weeks.

« Reply #10 on: 17 April, 2018, 10:45:44 am »

How are you thinking of doing it? My recommendation (FWIW) is to stay in Spain for as long as possible, head out on the coastal camino and then down through Lugo/Ourense. When I did it (only from Asturias) I skirted the Picos to the west, you may prefer to find your way over. (BTW, I would change some elements of my ride, but the overall shape I enjoyed). I definitely preferred Spain to Portugal: Drivers, roads both, although if you prefer pave to tarmac, YMMV.

(oh, and there's a lot of flat boring in Spain if you go straight across)

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #11 on: 17 April, 2018, 12:13:52 pm »
How?  I'm not sure yet, so presumably by winging it!  I've got some clubmates arriving at the Tourmalet on the 2nd, a flight booked out of Lisbon on the 12th and the plan is to stop off at the Primavera festival in Porto on the 9th - and yes I know that means a couple of epic days to Lisbon from there, so that bit will definitely be on the flattest and most boring route.  Thanks for the info, it sounds useful.

« Reply #12 on: 17 April, 2018, 12:32:40 pm »
Got any tips for riding through the Pyrenees?
Since you have plenty of time, why cross them when you can ride along them?  Head north into France and pick up the Raid Pyreneen route somewhere towards the west.  Leave the route before you reach the Med since there's no point in going to the end of the route which has only a couple of very low cols (200 odd metres) at that point.  Early June is a fabulous time of year because there is still the snow melt, so lots of running water and spring flowers.  The prevailing wind should also be behind you.

« Reply #13 on: 17 April, 2018, 03:54:43 pm »
I suppose I do want to ride along them, but I don't want to do every single col available. Sure, some of the famous ones, but I'd rather avoid some of them so that I can make steady progress. I don't want to spend ages slogging up massive mountains fully loaded!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #14 on: 01 June, 2018, 05:40:03 pm »
I'm looking forward to the blog!

« Reply #15 on: 01 June, 2018, 05:51:20 pm »
It's here if anyone is interested. It will start to fill up with lots of maps and stats and stuff once I get going on Thursday...

« Reply #16 on: 01 June, 2018, 07:16:23 pm »
I suppose I do want to ride along them, but I don't want to do every single col available. Sure, some of the famous ones, but I'd rather avoid some of them so that I can make steady progress. I don't want to spend ages slogging up massive mountains fully loaded!

Raid Pyreneen route does Aubisque, Peyresourde, Tourmalet, d'Aspin and some other biggies but avoids many others. There are 18 named cols on the route but some of them are so insignificant you wouldn't even know you were on a col if it wasn't for the roadside sign. It's a fantastic route.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #17 on: 01 June, 2018, 09:06:03 pm »
I've downloaded the GPX. On paper screen, it doesn't look too bad. I may find the reality somewhat different! I have plotted a wonderfully flat route along the Med to follow though  :)

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #18 on: 01 June, 2018, 09:40:16 pm »
Looks fabulous and it will be great to see your progress.  I love how disinterested your cats are  :)
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #19 on: 01 June, 2018, 09:58:31 pm »
Two thirds of the cats aren't even mine! They just like to visit from next door  :)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #20 on: 02 June, 2018, 06:08:29 pm »
Looks fabulous and it will be great to see your progress.  I love how disinterested your cats are  :)

Cats who give fucks are rare animals indeed!