Author Topic: Manchester-Blackpool FNRttC 1st June 2018.  (Read 6625 times)

Manchester-Blackpool FNRttC 1st June 2018.
« on: 03 May, 2018, 11:11:35 pm »
This year, the most Northerly FNRttC is going to Blackpool but fear not, the most popular parts of the previous route are still in there. That means that we'll be using the quiet moorland roads between Haslingden and Blackburn and we'll ride along the lovely lanes from Ribchester to Garstang.

If all goes according to plan, there will be a flatter departure from Manchester (some of which is traffic free), breakfast in a proper cafe and a ride down Blackpool Prom. The (almost) inevitable beers will follow once we're in town.
Sadly, we won't be able to use the Knott End-Fleetwood ferry since the tides aren't favourable.

Useful info:-

the maximum distance will be 74 miles (I'm still fine-tuning the route)

it's very hilly to Longridge, undulating to Garstang and then very, very flat

we'll stop at the 24 hour McDonalds in Whitebirk again; it's just before half-way

the ride is on Friday 1st June and it leaves at midnight from Albert Square in front of Manchester's town hall

Transport info:-
Most trains to home run from Blackpool North Station. Some are direct to London. For other destinations (or more choice of London trains) change at either Preston or Manchester. Trains from Backpool South Station go to Preston then on to Blackburn, Burnley and Colne.

All Virgin train sevices will require cycle reservations unless you're bringing a folder or are prepared to dismantle your bike (wheels in a bin bag, frame in the bike space has been known to work). It's advisable to get bike reservations with all the other train companies except Northern Rail where you can't and it doesn't matter anyway.
Cheap Virgin Trains tickets have only just gone on sale.

I'll post sign-up info later.
Please feel free to ask if you need more info.

ETA: The CC thread is here:- https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/manchester-blackpool-1st-june-2018.233646/

Re: Manchester-Blackpool FNRttC 1st June 2018.
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2018, 07:44:40 pm »
Not to put a damper on the transport arrangements. The electrification of the line from Preston to Blackpool is not quite finished (promised for Easter) still waiting for more than 1-2 an hour. Lots of driver training going on. Having said that I think there is a regular timetable for travel from Blackpool South which is handy for the Velvet Coaster spoons.For six months I have been looking how miserable people look whilst waiting for the rail replacement buses outside Poulton station on my dog walking sessions.

« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2018, 09:06:00 pm »
Yes, we were caught by this on a recent recce and ended up going from BPool South to BBurn then back to MCR via Todmorden.
AIUI, the Virgin trains are running OK, it's Northern that are having the problems.

If you're a local, can you recommend a pub for post-ride rehydration and bull-shitting ?
Ideally a choice of real ale, somewhere to park the bikes where we can see them, easy access to the station and open fairly early.
On the Manchester-Morecambe ride we've ended up in a Wetherspoons in Lancaster.

« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2018, 08:18:44 am »
Hi, hoping to make it to the one.
What are the options for trains north to Carlisle?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2018, 08:54:01 am »
It'll be good to see you again yoav.
I think you'll neeed to get a train to Preston from either Backpool North or South then use TPE or Virgin to Carlisle, what ever's cheapest.
I'd be tempted by Virgin just because they have a dedicated bike space that is much less likely to be full of suitcases and push-chairs.
It's worth noting that I'm going to try to find a pub for the post-ride drinks near to BPool North which is near the Tower.
BPool South is an easy ride away; South (yes, really) down the Prom then it's a left through a dodgy looking neighbourhood to the station. From memory, it's fairly well sign-posted.
BPool South is like a bus shelter so use the loo before you head off. There isn't a ticket machine so you can't collect pre-booked tickets.

It might be cheaper to book split rather than through tickets eg BPool-Preston, Preston-Carlisle or BPool-Lancaster, Lancaster-Carlisle.
Play around on one of the train company's web-sites.
I tend to look at times on Trainline because I find it easier to use then book on TPE so that I can get a bike space and avoid the booking fee. TPE also give Nectar points.
I'll be looking at trains later this pm after a bike ride. I'm going to aim to leave at 12.00(ish).

« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2018, 08:07:26 pm »
It's hard to recommend a eating/drinking establishment in that part of Blackpool. Social depravation has taken it's toll on the whole town but I'll keep thinking where might be suitable other than the Wetherspoons. I'm just outside town and very rarely go into the centre.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2018, 08:19:33 pm »
Hi, hoping to make it to the one.
What are the options for trains north to Carlisle?
Change at (de)Preston. For some reason the Blackpool North trains mathed up better than the South ones when I was booking mine a couple days ago. I'm on the 1103 from Blackpool North, then booked on the 1141 from Preston (which is a Pendolino so would be going to Carlisle, but I'm only bumping up to Lancaster to meet my connecting train).
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2018, 09:35:15 pm »
I've booked myself on the 12:17 out of dePreston.  Hopefully that should give enough margin for error.  These rides have a habit of being ...eventful.

I should tell Hanananananah The Astronononononomer that I've infected other people with her dePreston notation (she did her PhD there, for values of there which involved spending most of the time up mountains in exciting places with killer wildlife and statistically improbable amounts of cloud, interspersed with boring data analysis in a UCLan office shared with Fish Boy).

« Reply #8 on: 07 May, 2018, 09:42:14 pm »
...............................  These rides have a habit of being ...eventful.

Yes.
I'm hoping that this one won't be.

ETA: I did a business course at UCLan. I still call it Preston Poly but that shows how old I am........

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 07 May, 2018, 09:48:14 pm »
...............................  These rides have a habit of being ...eventful.

Yes.
I'm hoping that this one won't be.

We're probably overdue for a traditional Mancunian downpour...

« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2018, 07:19:43 pm »
The sign-up form is on the FNRttC web-site here:- https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfxCBadVZFEENdWCH9WnWAB0rjbiN_lUegj1ciwJWDb57oSGw/viewform

In the ride description, please ignore the bit about the ferry, the tides aren't suitable when we'll get there so it's not running.
Next year, hopefully. It's a lovely trip.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #11 on: 11 May, 2018, 07:43:31 am »
I’m going to try and join you on this one. Will attempt to book tickets later today.

« Reply #12 on: 11 May, 2018, 05:43:01 pm »
Yay ! And good luck with the tickets.

« Reply #13 on: 18 May, 2018, 02:00:27 pm »
I'm on the 12.38 from Blackpool North back to MCR.
I'm still working on the route and trying to find breakfast and/or drinks venues.

The mid-point stop is the usual McDonalds at Whitebirk.

« Reply #14 on: 18 May, 2018, 02:44:44 pm »
I'm on the 12.38 from Blackpool North back to MCR.
I'm still working on the route and trying to find breakfast and/or drinks venues.

The mid-point stop is the usual McDonalds at Whitebirk.

The only place I can think of that I'd recommend, meets your requirements and might be persuaded to open for you is the Rose and Crown on Corporation Street. Caveat: It's a helluva long time since the chef was my house mate but judging by the fact that the The Tache Rock Club (the scene of oh so many sins) is now above it I suspect at least the clientele hasn't changed.

Maybe seasider can offer a more up-to-date assessment.

« Reply #15 on: 20 May, 2018, 01:45:30 am »
I'll have a look at that place Si, thanks.
If you've got any inside info, that'll be welcome.

Current thinking is to use a cafe in Fleetwood for breakfast and then ride into BPool for post ride rehydration before we head for our trains.
I'm doing another recce on Monday so I hope to sort out the route into BPool and the breakfast venue then.

« Reply #16 on: 20 May, 2018, 11:55:36 am »
Just posted on CycleChat:-

Time for a list.

Signed up:-

Barry M
George W
Jane D
Jennifer B*
Kim W
Nasir M
Peter H
Sonia W
Yoav T

Expressions of interest:-

Ali C*
Andrew Bu
Cathy G*
Dave L*
Gordon P
Marcus C
Mark Mc*

*Chorlton CH massive

If you are still interested in coming on the ride, please fill in the form:-
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfxCBadVZFEENdWCH9WnWAB0rjbiN_lUegj1ciwJWDb57oSGw/viewform

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #17 on: 20 May, 2018, 12:04:17 pm »
Sorry, I've filled the form in now. I had to find my CTC membership card first :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #18 on: 24 May, 2018, 11:31:28 am »
Time for an updated list.

Signed up:-

Barry M
Cathy G*
George W
Helen T
Jane D
Kim W
Marcus C
Mark Mc*
Nasir M
Peter H
Sonia W
Yoav T

Expressions of interest:-

Andrew Bu
Dave L*
Gordon P

*Chorlton CH massive

I'm planning to go for breakfast in Fleetwood at this cafe:- https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...eetwood_Wyre_District_Lancashire_England.html

I didn't get chance to visit when I was there on Monday since it was closed but it gets good reviews, has lots of space outside for bike parking and it's open early.

Drinks in BPool at The Albert and The Lion:- https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/lancashire/the-albert-and-the-lion-blackpool

It's on the sea front, there is outside seating, it's open early and it's handy for Blackpool North albeit road-works make it a faff to get to the station.
Please make sure you have an idea where the station is so that you can find it since we'll be leaving at different times.

« Reply #19 on: 24 May, 2018, 01:49:37 pm »
Distances:-

Albert Square- Whitebirk (McDonalds); 42km
McDonalds-Fleetwood (breakfast); 64km
Fleetwood- BPool (pre-ride drinks and station); 16km

As previously reported, we're taking a new, flatter, route out of Manchester.
It's very hilly from Bury to Blackburn.
There's one long climb after Blackburn then it rolls as far as Garstang.
From Garstang to Fleetwood it's very, very flat.
Fleetwood to BPool is also flat and it's, mostly, off-road on an excellent cycle path.
Headwinds could be an issue on the Garstang-Fleetwood-BPool section.

« Reply #20 on: 25 May, 2018, 01:17:49 pm »
Thanks that. Me and Mrs Y will be arriving in Manchester at 21.30. Is there a plan to meet up somewhere beforehand?

Booked on 11.03 train from Blackpool the oop north from Preston.

Is there a GPS route, or is it more or less the same as the Morcambe ride as far as Longridge and then a more westerly approach to Fleetwood rather than north to Lancaster?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #21 on: 27 May, 2018, 09:44:40 pm »
Have you thought of scheduling a Northern ride like this one  the week before the York Rally: then some could use as first leg of cycling there?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 27 May, 2018, 09:57:06 pm »
Last year the York-Hull ride coincided with the rally.  This seemed like a good idea at the time, but actually meant we missed most of the Saturday due to getting back from Hull and being 3/4 asleep.  This year it's safely on another weekend.

More generally, I'm not sure how a ride to the cost would help you get *to* the York rally, unless it started in the East Midlands and headed to the Lincolnshire coast or something.

Traditionally carrying full camping kit on a FNRttC would have been frowned upon, too.  Unless you're teethgrinder.  But they have Fridays branded mudflaps these days, so that's probably okay as long as you can keep up.

« Reply #23 on: 27 May, 2018, 10:11:00 pm »

I thought it might make sense for people starting from liverpool/manchester and essentially going on a   north then west dogleg to York (ie what happens of you follow the canal towpath to Colne or little roads 'beside' it). 

ie. the nightride forms the north dogleg,follow by rest day, followed by cycling west to York, possibly in a zig zaggy tourist fashion given 5 days...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 27 May, 2018, 10:30:00 pm »
Ah, I see.

Other problem is that
a) FNRttCers...
b) ...from The North West...
c) ...who want to go to the York Rally...
d) ...by bike
are going to be a vanishingly small group.  So you're probably the first to have thought of it.