Author Topic: Removing tar from clothing  (Read 2067 times)

Removing tar from clothing
« on: 05 June, 2018, 03:07:21 pm »
In the hot weather last week my father leaned against a telegraph pole1 whilst at the tennis club and got a smear of tar/bitumen on the back of his (white) tracksuit top2.
The top is mostly polyester; any ideas on how to remove the mark without dissolving the fabric?

(1) No, I don't know why there is a pole anywhere near where he was playing either.
(2) He's particularly fond of this garment as it's the one he got last year when playing for the over 85's tennis team and has 'Team GB' in large letters.

Re: Removing tar from clothing
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2018, 04:33:37 pm »
It is probably creosote. (Which is still available for professional use).

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_4709529_remove-creosote-clothes.html
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2018, 07:26:40 pm »
Start with cooking oil or mayonnaise, working this into the fabric with a clean cloth.

This might at least soften the stain without dissolving the fabric, work up to white spirit if needed.

Stronger solvents may be needed but are more risky.

Wash in machine.

« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2018, 08:46:12 pm »
Thanks Helly.
We didn't have any mayo, so cautiously tried cooking oil (mrs graculus was concerned it might leave a grease stain afterwards). This didn't seem to have any effect, so tried WD40 as suggested on some other Q&A sites. This did remove some of the isolated spots but was ineffective on the main streak of tar.
What really did the business was swarfega aided by a nail brush then laundry liquid with nail brush. It's been on the line drying today and it is a vast improvement. You can still see the streak if you know what to look for, and it's a bit more noticeable in the ribbing but to a casual glance I think it will pass muster.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 06 June, 2018, 08:51:37 pm »
Glad you've mostly shifted it!

« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2018, 11:06:52 pm »
Swarfega is the answer to almost anything. 39 years ago I was replacing pistons on a triumph herald and had to remove the engine tog get it rebored. I was offered a 500ml tub of Swarfega or a 5 litre today. For the same price. Unsurprisingly I took the 5l version. It is just about finished having seen the servicing of multiple cars numerous bathrooms upgraded, kitchens installed, etc. Probably my. Eat DIY purchase ever.

« Reply #6 on: 06 June, 2018, 11:19:57 pm »
I was going to say Swarfega too. I had to crawl around under my Heapster years ago (rustfree downstream of the very leaky engine) and my best t-shirt was, I thought, ruined. A heap of Swarfega stippled into it and a wash in the machine and it was as clean as a clean thing.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #7 on: 07 June, 2018, 07:51:49 am »
We had a 50l tub of Swarfega at school in the metalwork shop.

It was an excellent hiding place for pencil cases. What japes.

At home I always forget to get it out before doing works that will get my hands dirty, meaning I have t go digging in the back of the cupboard with grimy hands. I wasn't allowed to keep the (small) tub on the kitchen windowsill with easy access.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."