Author Topic: Garmin 510 Turn by Turn  (Read 3143 times)

Garmin 510 Turn by Turn
« on: 12 June, 2018, 06:38:56 pm »
Hi

My first post.

I recently bought a 2nd hand Garmin 510.

The first time I used it (Peaks and Troughs Audax) TBT worked fine, but since then nothing.

It will tell me when I go 'off course' so I then have to back track.

Not sure which app the P & T course was built in but I think it was RideWithGPS.

I have seen that TBT works with this but not on routes built on Strava, is this correct?

I have 'turn guidance' enabled.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Don't wait until you are on your death bed to tell people how you feel about them.....Tell them to **** off now.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Garmin 510 Turn by Turn
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2018, 07:23:53 pm »
The 510 doesn't do TBT. The only 'turn guidance' you'll get on the 510 is if, say, there's a sharp change of direction in the course ahead, it will tell you to 'Turn Left' regardless of whether it's an actual junction or just a bend in the road.

If you had true TBT instructions on your audax, they were most likely embedded in the GPX/TCX file as custom cues. I believe you can add turn instructions to a course in RWGPS, but you can only export the file with those instructions included if you have a premium account. I've never bothered with premium membership of RWGPS so I don't really know how it works.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2018, 07:45:36 pm »
Thanks citoyen

This might be a dumb question then...but I'll ask it anyway.

What is the point of having a 510 apart from being able to upload details of a ride to Strava or Garmin Connect??

I was expecting TBT so that I didn't have to keep referring to route sheets!

Is it worth investing in an 820 currently on offer in Halfords?

What's the Wahoo ELEMNT like?

Thanks
Don't wait until you are on your death bed to tell people how you feel about them.....Tell them to **** off now.

citoyen

« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2018, 07:52:50 pm »
Well, to be fair, the Edge devices are more oriented towards 'training' than navigation, but the ones that use maps would be a better option if you're after TBT. Even better would be a device designed specifically for navigation such as the Etrex, which is favoured by many audaxers.

That said, I've had a 510 for four years and I think it's great. I have no problem using it for navigation by following the breadcrumb trail. YMMV.

The Wahoo ELEMNT is also popular among audaxers but I've not used it myself so can't comment.

« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2018, 07:55:18 pm »
Breadcrumb trail?
YMMV?
 ???

citoyen

« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2018, 08:06:19 pm »
Breadcrumb trail?

Never read Hansel & Gretel as a child? That purple line on the 'map' screen on the 510 is the breadcrumb trail.

I find it perfectly adequate for navigation, others prefer TBT.

YMMV?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ymmv

« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2018, 08:10:24 pm »
Thanks for the help.
Much appreciated
:thumbsup:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2018, 09:18:17 pm »
I’ve only had my ELEMNT for a few weeks but it’s great. The navigation is great, only quibble is the turn warning sound could be louder

« Reply #8 on: 12 June, 2018, 10:52:33 pm »
I’ve only had my ELEMNT for a few weeks but it’s great. The navigation is great, only quibble is the turn warning sound could be louder

I've got the Elemnt Bolt And find it beeps very loudly!
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 12 June, 2018, 11:09:46 pm »
One of the things I like about the Edge 510 is that you can turn the beeps off.

« Reply #10 on: 13 June, 2018, 07:50:02 am »
One of the things I like about the Edge 510 is that you can turn the beeps off.

Pretty sure you can on the Bolt, but I haven't tried to suppress them as find the audible alerts useful
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

citoyen

« Reply #11 on: 13 June, 2018, 09:45:17 am »
I find the beeps annoying. Though I admit they can be useful at times - I had them on for the Scottish ride I did recently, since the long distances between instructions meant it would have been easy to drift off into a daydream and not realise I'd missed a turn for many miles...

I wonder, are Wahoo's beeps any less annoying than Garmin's? Perhaps there's a market for a more aurally pleasant GPS device...

« Reply #12 on: 13 June, 2018, 02:50:52 pm »
Created a route on RideWithGPS.

Do I have to download as a GPX file or does the 510 support TCX files (whatever they may be).

If I can do either what is the difference?

No need to get too technical!

Thanks

« Reply #13 on: 13 June, 2018, 10:42:30 pm »
I'm a Garmin 500 user and use RideWithGPS to plan my routes. I'll tell you how RideWithGPS and TBT works for a 500 and hopefully you'll find it's the same on the 510

Firstly you don't need a subscription to get TBT instructions.

Plan the route as you have done and export the TCX file - this is the one that contains the TBT instructions and a breadcrumb trail,  I've never used the GPX file with my Garmin but I think it will just show the breadcrumb trail only.

Connect your Garmin to your PC and place the TCX file in the NewFiles folder on your Garmin. Disconnect from your PC. Switch on the Garmin and navigate to  'Courses' and you'll find the route there.

On the 500 you get 2 screens for navigation - one that is a breadcrumb trail and another that lists the next few instructions such as

a right arrow indication and the name of the road you need to turn on.

Many people have found the Garmin 500 rather temperamental when following a course (including myself) - the breadcrumb trail can take a while to update etc usually just at the wrong time - hope the 510 is better for you.

« Reply #14 on: 14 June, 2018, 08:18:30 am »
Thanks wajcgac...will give it a try with the TCX file instead of GPX this weekend. :thumbsup: