Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2170264 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #12725 on: 02 February, 2018, 08:19:50 pm »
Reinstalled windows on my old laptop.  Is lightning fast at the moment (also added an SSD).  Will slow down when I add a few more things.
like applications and data?  :D

Or Windows updates...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #12726 on: 03 February, 2018, 07:45:13 am »
Not done it, yet as Senor Tiermat the elder hasn't arrived to help, but I am aiming to get the attic finally fully boarded out today.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12727 on: 03 February, 2018, 08:27:28 am »
Reinstalled windows on my old laptop.  Is lightning fast at the moment (also added an SSD).  Will slow down when I add a few more things.
like applications and data?  :D

Or Windows updates...

This ^^^^.  It was surprising how sprightly my AMD A4-engined laptop was once I killed the Windows Update service.  Though it's the Windows Anti-Malware thing which really hammers it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12728 on: 03 February, 2018, 08:37:44 am »
^^^^After all, it's safest if you can't actually use the machine.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12729 on: 03 February, 2018, 01:39:06 pm »
Overhauled a pair of 1990s Deore DX MTB hubs.  Need to build the wheels now.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #12730 on: 03 February, 2018, 09:28:12 pm »
Replaced the logo’ed caps on my 105 sti’s (tho I lost two screws in the process) and managed to connect my spare laptop to Zwift, TrainerRoad AND Elite MyTraining. (Thanks to Aidan for the ANT+ dongle).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12731 on: 04 February, 2018, 09:06:39 pm »
Replaced a broken mudguard taillight (more difficult than it should have been, involved a hacksaw) and loaned out a SQR saddlebag.

Replaced the worn-out pedals on HK's Condor and the similarly stuffed chain and cassette on her Roberts, along with swapping the quite worn Ksyrium Elites with renewed Record/ Open Pro wheels.

Still got to replace the Roberts' creaky carbon forks later this week and probably the Chorus rear derailleur with a Record mech from the garage. The frozen top limit screw annoys me.

Both our Moultons need their cracked mudguards and worn cassettes and chains replaced, along with a new rear tyre for HK's. I think I need to get a 130 OLD axle to replace the 135 axle in her new Tune-hubbed rear wheel.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12732 on: 04 February, 2018, 10:25:07 pm »
I bodged the control for lifting my bath's plug. The plastic housing that holds the brass spindle has snapped so the mechanism was just spinning. Electrical tape is holding for now. I need to dig out the araldite for a proper fix I think.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12733 on: 05 February, 2018, 08:15:59 am »
Managed to mark out drilling centres on one side of my WIP router sled before the freezing cold in the workshop drove me indoors again. This despite a butane heater up one end of the shop and a 2.5 kW fan heater at the other end. :(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12734 on: 05 February, 2018, 10:22:28 am »
I seem to spend most of my time repairing toys these days.  Or reconstructing plastic meccano...
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12735 on: 08 February, 2018, 08:00:02 pm »
Fixed the copiously dripping kitchen tap, which was just a case of taking out the ceramic cartridge, cleaning it up and putting it back together.  They are supposedly everlasting but they can get grit or limescale jammed between the two ceramic plates, which gives a drip of varying magnitude as the plates have to rest completely flat against each other.

Job slightly complicated because the builders had fitted the isolating valve for the tap under the sink in such an orientation that it can only be turned with a screwdriver by removing the U-bend first  ::-)  How hard can it be to get that right?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #12736 on: 08 February, 2018, 08:51:11 pm »
.Job slightly complicated because the builders had fitted the isolating valve for the tap under the sink in such an orientation that it can only be turned with a screwdriver by removing the U-bend first  ::-)  How hard can it be to get that right?
For your average to good plumber quite hard because it requires that the trades(wo)man in question spends a moment thinking about what s/he is doing. Even the good plumber we had for our boiler and subsequently new bathroom was hard of thinking when it came to the detail. Mind ewe, he was something of a cx er in his yoof, which could account for it.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12737 on: 08 February, 2018, 10:29:18 pm »
Job slightly complicated because the builders had fitted the isolating valve for the tap under the sink in such an orientation that it can only be turned with a screwdriver by removing the U-bend first  ::-)  How hard can it be to get that right?

That's advanced-level stuff.  First you've got to master not emptying your bowl of urgh down the trapless sink...

I recently installed a washing machine tap under a friend's sink without considering the space occupied by the roller-mounted bin that slides in in front of it.  In my defence I was mostly thinking that their main stopcock was a bit fucked and it was prudent to leave a decent amount of unadulterated pipe above it so a Proper Plumber could at some point sort it out without too much drama.  By sheer luck I got away with about a millimetre of bin clearance once the hose (with stupid solenoid valve lump at the tap end) was in place.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #12738 on: 13 February, 2018, 08:24:06 am »
The vacuum cleaner (Dyson DC14) didn't seem to be picking up very well (hasn't been for some time), so consulted the interweb and YouTube and determined that the brushes were probably worn.  Searched around a bit and determined that it was also best to change the 2 belts - the one from the motor to the clutch, and the other from the clutch to the brush bar, along with the brush bar.  The clutch shuts off the drive to the brush bar when you stand the machine handle upright.

So, ordered a new clutch assembly at £16, which comes complete with the belts fitted as the clutch (including ball bearings and springs) has to be dismantled to fit new belts, and  a brush bar.  Total about £37.  I was confident I could disassemble and reassemble the clutch, but at £16 it seemed like a better plan than the inevitable hunting in the dust under the garage bench for the spring that pinged off whilst the clutch was in bits.

Bargain if the machine is as good as new once fitted.  Ordering was the easy bit............

New clutch c/w belts and the other bits arrived Monday morning (which is good since I'd only ordered on Saturday afternoon), checked the part numbers, all good.  But......  (and there's always a but)....... the new belts were about 50% of the length of the old ones.  Which, along with the old brushes being about 2mm shorter than the new ones probably explains why the Dyson was not picking up as well as it did - despite plenty of vacuum.

Getting the clutch belt onto the motor spindle appeared to need the belt to go through a non-existent gap, whilst being stretched to about twice as long as it was at rest.  Consulted YT and various people said it's a struggle, but it does go on without tools but with the use of strong fingers.

So I struggled a bit, but did get it on.  But I had to have a coffee and a lie down afterwards.

Now for the brush bar.  Well that belt was so new and short it went into hiding and had to be 'persuaded' even to show its face - let alone stretch enough to be able to get the new brush bar to fit behind it.

Back to YT. Without YT I'd have been convinced it was the wrong belt. Now here's the catch.  All of the videos I went to for the first 15 minutes said that you need the Dyson tool (whatever number, which we happen to supply.....) to be able to stretch the brush bar belt and open up a gap so that you can insert the brush bar.  Oh b0gger.

Anyway, after a bit more searching found a couple of videos that show how to bodge it with a large screwdriver (and probably lots of swearing). After a deep breath and more coffee.

And that's how I did it - but I didn't need the Anglo-Saxon. So that was a result.

I'd also taken the cyclone to bits over the weekend and flushed that all out so there was no crud anywhere, and changed the filters, so there was no excuse for any lack of suction.  So, having put it all back together, tried it.

Well, I'm now finding muck in the carpets that's not seen the light of day since the Pre-Cambrian.  Amazing. It actually picks up, and the bin was full of fluff and hairs after only 10 minutes hoovering (Dysoning??). And I thought the carpets were fairly clean.

But without YT I'd have been wondering just how to get it back together when the belts were clearly far too short - even though the part numbers matched the old belts..  How did we mange without it?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12739 on: 13 February, 2018, 10:52:02 am »
Got a dishwasher working on Saturday.

Unfortunately, it's in Worthing, so I don't benefit directly.

Finally managed to get RealFlight working on my PC.  It's not perfect, but it works.  It is, i think, the second video game I have purchased (after Chess).

Yet to solve my electrical issues on my new bike, or take it out for a shakedown ride.  Maybe this weekend...
Getting there...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12740 on: 13 February, 2018, 08:41:30 pm »
I've  been thinking about getting some new bits for our Dyson but that's put me right off...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #12741 on: 14 February, 2018, 08:37:24 am »
I've  been thinking about getting some new bits for our Dyson but that's put me right off...

Ah.  Sorry about that.  In reality it's all very straightforward, and the plastic bits (of which I have an inbuilt wariness, 'cos they always break and are irreparable) are actually very tough, and the clips and catches don't break. 

But be careful over what you order as there are multiple sub-menus of bits available for apparently the machine you have, but in reality there are half a dozen sub-models, with different belts, filters and brushes.  Even the supplier got the belts wrong, which is partly why I then went for the new clutch.

Having said all that, I did later see that the DC14 is available 2nd hand and "refurbished" for not much more than I paid in new parts.  Go figure.  But at least I kept a pile of plastic out of landfill and satisfied my Child of the Fifties inbuilt need to repair things rather than  throwing them away.  My dad would have been proud.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12742 on: 14 February, 2018, 06:05:16 pm »

Ah.  Sorry about that.  In reality it's all very straightforward, and the plastic bits (of which I have an inbuilt wariness, 'cos they always break and are irreparable) are actually very tough, and the clips and catches don't break. 

But be careful over what you order as there are multiple sub-menus of bits available for apparently the machine you have, but in reality there are half a dozen sub-models, with different belts, filters and brushes.  Even the supplier got the belts wrong, which is partly why I then went for the new clutch.

Having said all that, I did later see that the DC14 is available 2nd hand and "refurbished" for not much more than I paid in new parts.  Go figure.  But at least I kept a pile of plastic out of landfill and satisfied my Child of the Fifties inbuilt need to repair things rather than  throwing them away.  My dad would have been proud.
Sounds good, I'm all for repair, re-use then recycle. Where did you order your bits from?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12743 on: 14 February, 2018, 06:22:59 pm »
I mended a puncture(!) on one bike, fitted a bell to the stem of the other and then... tidied up a saddlebag! Got tools and tubes in nice little space-saving bags now. Ah so sweet.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #12744 on: 15 February, 2018, 08:20:52 am »
Sounds good, I'm all for repair, re-use then recycle. Where did you order your bits from?

eBay.  This was the clutch order. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dyson-Genuine-Vacuum-Cleaner-Clutch-Complete-With-Belts-DC07-DC14-900252-04/310322723710?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I got all my bits from the same vendor - he was very quick at delivery - but also initially sent me the wrong 2 belts, hence I bought a complete clutch and he refunded the cost of the belts.  All very efficient. He also seems to trade as the Dyson-Doctor - it's the same vendor.

Hope the upgrade goes well!  I've been really impressed at how much better the machine is.  I suppose that after 12 years the performance gradually degraded as bits wear and you don't notice that loss in performance.  Now the machine is presumably back to its as-new condition.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12745 on: 15 February, 2018, 07:40:22 pm »
Ta

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12746 on: 17 February, 2018, 04:03:55 pm »
Anti-rattle modification to the mudguard on the runabout - two holes and cable tied it to the rack
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12747 on: 17 February, 2018, 05:55:05 pm »
changed the drivetrain on my new gravel bike from 50/34 - 12-28 to 42/30 - 11-36, shortened and lubed gear and brake cables, swapped the saddle out, applied some tape on the frame to prevent it from rubbing, checked all the screws, set up the position to my road bike's blueprint. ordered some bits and pieces for the new wheelset and still pondering on the choice of tyres.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12748 on: 18 February, 2018, 11:38:13 am »
Installed the missus's new [supposedly] photo printer, a delightfully easy process which involved just half an hour's wrestling to get it out of the box sans breakages and another of crawling round the floor threading cables behind, above, betwixt and between the rich assortment of boxes under her desk. Will look for Ubuntu drivers this PM, since conducting Internet searches on her French orthopaederast keyboard with half its characters obliterated I will not do on an empty stomach. Not yet a full one. Mañana ist auch ein Tag, as me old pal Georg used to say.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #12749 on: 18 February, 2018, 01:23:51 pm »
Gave the wife's new metallic red B-Max a coat of Autoglym Extra Gloss sealant.  Since the paint is new it didn't need a polish first and now the mud and cow muck will wash away much easier.

Pity about the tiny dint in the front passenger door (car park?) and the tar spots up the back door.  And the ally wheels need a thorough clean followed by a coat of wax to keep the brake dust at bay.  Job for another day.  I will also take that opportunity to lube the wheel bolts with copper grease, amazing how many cars you see at the side of the road with the car on a jack, spare wheel at the ready, and the flat wheel still on the car.  The bolts have rusted in and the car's wheel brace won't shift them.  So I get my retaliation in first (as Bill Beaumont used to say) and make sure they can't seize and they are refitted to the correct torque.  Or am I just being anal?