Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 863425 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5375 on: 04 May, 2018, 08:56:57 pm »
2 new ventisit cushions arrived today
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5376 on: 04 May, 2018, 09:21:35 pm »
Mud flaps and bake blocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5377 on: 10 May, 2018, 07:08:42 pm »
A 16T sprocket and Shimano 5/8" brake arm clip tuened up for the Duomatic project.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #5378 on: 19 May, 2018, 08:42:11 am »
4 more Prendas Il Grande caps.  I bought one a few weeks ago o try out, following a very helpful tip on this forum that Prendas made a line of larger caps, for the average wearer, not the Grand Tour stick insects.

It fitted perfectly.  Even better, it fitted after being soaked and washed a few times.  Result. Even if I don't like the graphics.

Wanted a couple more, but Prendas have a 4 for 3 offer on, so bought 4.  It would have been rude not to.

« Reply #5379 on: 19 May, 2018, 06:57:21 pm »
A spare frame and case for my Rudy Project Magsters. Now I can leave the lenses in - I have some rose tinted photochromics and some polarised black photochromics.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5380 on: 19 May, 2018, 07:09:37 pm »
A couple of days ago, a Camper Longflap and various assorted bits from the Bandits of Bridgwater; Parcelfarce tracking says it's on the van and out for delivery, but so far no ring at the door, boo!

« Reply #5381 on: 20 May, 2018, 06:25:05 am »
A previously-owned Arai drum brake, to install as a "drag brake" on a tandem which is seldom ridden.   I'm hoping this will be a way to magically inspire its use.

« Reply #5382 on: 20 May, 2018, 10:38:47 am »
Still waiting to get my refund for these Bont cycle shoes from Wiggle. They were supposed to provide more room around the toe box area. However, I still found them wanting.

[edit: Refund sorted].

rogerzilla

« Reply #5383 on: 20 May, 2018, 02:22:14 pm »
My finger slipped on a Harry Quinn* track bike. I only really wanted a frameset but I can sell the bits, which are good but not as elegant as my wheels and TA crankset.  My Fuji is just too small now I don't use it for TTs - the drop to the bars is about 6".

* not lilac but allegedly made by Harry himself

rogerzilla

« Reply #5384 on: 25 May, 2018, 02:26:55 pm »
It turned up.  It's a real one.  Q2388 (the Q is made from a 0 and 1 as usual) on the (real track*) fork although the frame is slathered in thick powdercoat so I can't confirm the number is the same on the BB shell.  EDIT: it is, I exposed ir with a wire brush.

Bare frame is 4lb 2oz.  Has 90s 531 decals  :sick: but it's a 1963 frame based on known numbers either side.

Has the old style 10mm seat bolt.  Looks straight and undinged although the seat tube could do with a clean out - the seller had a very short post in there and it's a bit cruddy below.  Threads good, headset cups not the tightest I've known but they did need the rocket tool.  Track ends mercifully chunky.

Will get Argos to give it the paint it deserves and maybe build a road fork.  Although it's been drilled for a brake, received wisdom is that a real track fork isn't great on the road - it's not designed for rough surfaces or for braking forces, modest as they are with a caliper brake.

Had various hipster parts on it which I'll sell to fund the respray.  Good crankset, Gran Compe track wheels (I'll true them as they're not up to my standards) and fancy flat pedals.  There's also a reasonable front brake and lever, an interesting 3T stem, and a 1" threadless alloy fork (rare) with a steel steerer.  The rest of it is worn-out shite ;-)

*put my front track wheel in there and the 23mm tyre has 3mm of daylight between the tread and the groove in the underside of the fork crown.  I wouldn't like to see a 25mm tyre in there. 

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5385 on: 26 May, 2018, 08:38:21 am »
Talking of which I changed a tube for a guy with a Carrera flat bar road bike. Sora 8 speed with 49mm drop brakes. And 28mm Marathon +.

No. The back wheel wouldn't turn AT ALL. At least until I'd set the skewer about half depth in the dropout.

I don't have to ride it. TFFT.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #5386 on: 26 May, 2018, 01:40:39 pm »
just installing the new Finishline tubeless sealant with kevlar and CO2 compatible..  interesting to see how it works.

« Reply #5387 on: 26 May, 2018, 05:04:19 pm »
just installing the new Finishline tubeless sealant with kevlar and CO2 compatible..  interesting to see how it works.

It will indeed. I have some in my shed to use in the next couple of months as the Schwalbe Blue needs refreshing.

« Reply #5388 on: 26 May, 2018, 05:05:48 pm »
An out-front Mount for the Edge1000 on the yellow bike. And some Superfeet yellow insoles for my new Lake MX237’s that finally arrived today about 6 months after I ordered them!

« Reply #5389 on: 26 May, 2018, 08:39:16 pm »
Initial thoughts are good. Seems gloopier than stans and other sealant.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #5390 on: 27 May, 2018, 01:32:03 am »
Oh... I got a wunnerful sister.
She's got a good credit score.
I gorra lorra debts in my name.
She's gone an got me some more.
Pinnacle Ramin three plus coming my way next week.
Someday, time unspecified, she might get a peek, of the money, perhaps.
Prolly!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #5391 on: 27 May, 2018, 06:45:41 am »
A package of 1/4" reflective "pinstriping" tape arrived today.

Two destinations in mind, both mudgards: in grooves on some shiny aluminum ones, and on the otherwise-round surface of some red-painted ones.  Two different bikes will get the conspicuity assistance.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5392 on: 29 May, 2018, 05:51:07 pm »
Popped into the LBS today to pick up a spare quick link for my on-the-bike emergency supplies. I was expecting they would most likely have Shimano or KMC in stock, but what they actually sold me was a Sunrace item. Didn't know Sunrace still existed as a brand, tbh.
http://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/cnq

Anyone know if these are any good?

They're certainly cheap compared to Shimano's version, that's for sure.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5393 on: 29 May, 2018, 05:58:55 pm »
With some exceptions the quality is on a par with Microshift.  :-\

Probably better known these days as the fount of everything Sturmey-Archer thobut . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5394 on: 29 May, 2018, 07:25:34 pm »
I suspected as much. Oh well, I hope I won’t have to use them but they’ll probably do in an emergency.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5395 on: 29 May, 2018, 08:52:36 pm »
Initial thoughts are good. Seems gloopier than stans and other sealant.

And I assume the tyres sealed ok when you mounted them?

« Reply #5396 on: 29 May, 2018, 09:21:41 pm »
I mounted the tyres without the sealant then removed the core and injected it with a syringe.

I find this much easier and cleaner. Everything seems fine.  But I can only prove it is. Eternal by not having to stop for punctures.

« Reply #5397 on: 08 June, 2018, 06:27:19 am »
Recent arrivals:
+ for a more period- and ethnically-correct approach to toe-clips & straps on my (French) Stella, Lapize straps and Christophe clips arrived from separate eBay sellers this week.
+ for upgrades to the seldom-ridden tandem, DiaCompe CR-X brakes (sourced from SJS), a new stoker stem with a 4-bolt faceplate, and some cable attachment bits for a recently-acquired Arai drum brake.

Soon to appear (from a seller in Portugal): a Huret single right-side shift lever, to mount on stoker's handlebar to control said drum brake.

And various cans of spray paint to better camoflague a frame pump, so it will blend in with the frame color.

However, there was a transaction the other way: sold a fork - original fork from my 650b Rawland Stag, replaced by a lighter fork, and thus surplus and sitting around for the past few years.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5398 on: 08 June, 2018, 07:09:35 pm »
a bottle of liquid lube
temporary spoke
new quick links

All for use on the tour later this year
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5399 on: 15 June, 2018, 09:07:48 am »
This hub, to replace an old Shimano 600 one which developed a crack.
Shimano Ultegra 6800 Front Hub