Author Topic: Carrying a pen  (Read 46202 times)

Re: Carrying a pen
« Reply #25 on: 17 September, 2009, 11:59:16 am »
I carry a Sheaffer fountain pen. Yes my writing is awful but at least when I use the heavy fountain pen it makes me use a counsious effort to write so that my head doesn't get ahead of the hand and then miss out words!!

« Reply #26 on: 17 September, 2009, 12:09:12 pm »
Rotring tart here.

... and another here.....

But more for their pencils.
A couple of 600 pencils here.
I milled a slot through the opposite flats on one of them so it's possible to see the tubie thing with the leads in it  ::-)

A Faber Castell Alpha-matic automatic pencil - looks better than it writes.

Daily weapon of choice is the same as Frenchie's  - Pentel Pro, but loaded with 0.9 (mm :D). Oh, and the tubular tip I grind down until it's about 2mm long - less chance of stabby leggy  :)

Back on topic....

On special occasions the Mont Blanc Meisterstuck comes out  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #27 on: 17 September, 2009, 12:41:52 pm »
I like basic pencils.  Proper wooden ones.  I used to use them for writing a lot (partly because of the smudging issue), but my favourite grade (F) doesn't seem to be very widely available any more :(
Getting there...

« Reply #28 on: 17 September, 2009, 12:48:06 pm »
No one is ever without a pen!  Even in the confines of a padded cell, you have your index finger and excrement
to record all your thoughts.  :smug:
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #29 on: 17 September, 2009, 12:49:58 pm »
Big fountain pen fan here. Daily pen is one of these, Pilot Decimo, with a custom stub nib by John Mottishaw. Another favourite is a similarly customised Aurora.

I also rather like my Lamy 2000 pencil.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #30 on: 17 September, 2009, 01:04:07 pm »
Folk might be interested in the Battersea Pen Home.

A friend reports:
... he has just resurrected one of the first Sheaffer pens that came into the country after WW II - was probably about 1955 - one of the Snorkel ones and it now writes beautifully again.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #31 on: 17 September, 2009, 01:12:17 pm »
I have a restored Snorkel that does indeed write well, but remains prone to unplanned ink egress. Nice though. I also have a very nice boxed Parker 51 that I like a lot in terms of design but find it just too narrow in the body for comfortable writing.

I'm a left handed over-writer, not the best configuration for fountain pen use. Nevertheless my writing is much more legible that with a ballpoint.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #32 on: 17 September, 2009, 01:36:36 pm »
*as a small Volio, aged about 7, I was told I would never amount to anything in life because I couldn't write properly.  I replied that by the time I grew up we'd have machines for that stuff.  Which earned me time standing outside the classroom :)

;D

I did the whole Osimrod - > Rotring thing at school.  Rotrings were brilliant for intricate doodles on exercise book covers ...

For fieldwork, I used a slim Filofax with plain coloured paper (much less glare) and a Pentel P200 propelling pencil with thick (0.9mm) soft (2B) leads - not waterproof, but pretty water-resistent.  

In the office, I have a Lamy Accent fountain pen with a wooden grip, which feels lovely. Proper pens are quite good for meeting pen-upmanship  ;)  - an easy win if most people turn up with Bics or other disposables ...

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #33 on: 17 September, 2009, 01:39:59 pm »
Proper pens are quite good for meeting pen-upmanship  ;)  - an easy win if most people turn up with Bics or other disposables ...

Or fancy ballpens especially Montblanc
Pen Pusher

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #34 on: 17 September, 2009, 02:29:33 pm »
I love Rotrings but recently I have found Muji now do some brilliant pens.

Anyways to answer the question I now carry a pencil case again, I dunno why. But I have various grades of Faber Castell pencils, rulers, Red/Green/Black/Blue Bics, blue and red Pilot V7s, a blue Rotring, a few CD markers and a selection of permanent markers in red/blue/green/black.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #35 on: 17 September, 2009, 02:39:14 pm »
I'm a secret pen fetishist.  

My current weapon of choice is a black Pelikan M800 with an OB nib.  

I also have a green-stripe M1000 with a medium nib, but I much prefer the oblique ad will probably either re-nib it or sell it soon as the M800 is really much nicer to use.  

My work pen is a nice Cross Pinnacle, which has a nice solid brassy feel to it and writes in an understated way.  There's also a Parker Vacuumatic and a Japanese cheapy knocking round which don't really get a look in.

I used to have a Montblanc 149 but it was far better at looking pretty than actualy writing.  The Pelikans put function above form and are utterly wonderful things.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #36 on: 17 September, 2009, 02:44:33 pm »

I love the Muji pens, I always have a selection of them at home and work, but I always take my Parker Duofold Centennial with me. It's the nicest pen to write with that I've ever had. The guarantee only has another 5 years to run, so perhaps I might be able to sneak another one in.

Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #37 on: 17 September, 2009, 02:48:28 pm »

I love the Muji pens, I always have a selection of them at home and work, but I always take my Parker Duofold Centennial with me. It's the nicest pen to write with that I've ever had. The guarantee only has another 5 years to run, so perhaps I might be able to sneak another one in.

If yours is the original "flat band" Centennial (like the one in the pic), they are much sought after now.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #38 on: 17 September, 2009, 02:56:18 pm »
Just remembered a firm favourite - must dig it out - an undecorated Danitrio eye-dropper filler - with a lovely italic nib. It's been unused for a while due to my eye-dropper bulb disintegrating, I must rectify that. Holds a massive quantity of ink as the innards are not occupied by any kind of filling mechanism. Some day I'd like a nice one of these (they do get rather expensive):

http://www.danitrio.com/

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #39 on: 17 September, 2009, 02:57:04 pm »
If yours is the original "flat band" Centennial (like the one in the pic), they are much sought after now.

It was, but the cap cracked and it was repaired (a long time ago) and it came back with raised bands. Not that it makes any difference to me because the only situation in which I would part with it would be if I gave it to one of my children.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Zoidburg

« Reply #40 on: 17 September, 2009, 04:27:09 pm »
I always carry a pen, despite working IT, but mine is nowhere near as nice as yours...

I always have one of these about my person:

Fisher Space Pen & Fisher Space Pen Refills - Allwrite
NASA spent a hell of lot of time and money developing that pen.

The Russians just used a pencil.

« Reply #41 on: 17 September, 2009, 04:50:45 pm »
Would that it were true ...

IFAICR pencils were a unusable because of the risk (or certainty) of little bits of the lead breaking off and floating into somewhere one might not want a conductive material. Didn't they just use ball points? Gravity isn't what causes them to work.

As far as my pens go, I have a nice Parker for use at home and a Rotring in my overalls pocket.

One of the guys onboard, however, insists on using a £1250 Mont Blanc. Sod. That. For those that don't know, I'm a submariner, and there are far too many places to lose/break/drop small and valuable objects!
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #42 on: 17 September, 2009, 05:01:15 pm »
My favourite pen at the moment is a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Le Grande Platinum.

I tend to use it for signing letters.  In a rather fantastic imperial purple ink...  ;) ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #43 on: 17 September, 2009, 05:15:57 pm »
I recall previously that Pat Colbeck introduced us to a vintage pen site but have lost the details.

From this Site I discovered that my old Parker was worth a lot more than I appreciated.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #44 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:21:25 pm »
Any old bollocks that comes to hand is what I use.  I'm certainly not going to take an expensive pen to work.  If I still handwrote letters I'd still be using a nice Parker my mum gave me.

« Reply #45 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:32:53 pm »

Parker? That reminds me... how is Russell Downing doing in the ToB?
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #46 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:44:36 pm »
Pencils! Propelling.

Despite having an iPhone, and a laptop at home and at work, I still prefer to use a Filofax for my diary... i know, i know, but I love it. And as I'm always making mistakes, or having to change appointments, my pencil allows me to 'delete' and replan.

I do still have a matching Parker pen and pencil set that I was given for going to high school, almost 30 (!) years ago. I got the piss taken mercilessly for my poncy pen set at the time but I'm still fond of it.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #47 on: 19 September, 2009, 12:38:27 pm »

My brother bought me a lovely black and gold Parker fountain pen. It is in constant use, every day. Carrying it around with me, I lost it and so had to replace it. Ouch! It now resides permanently on my desk.

It's a Parker Sonnet.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #48 on: 19 September, 2009, 12:52:25 pm »
I carry a Lamy around with me most of the time.

It's nothing exceptional but I rather like it.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #49 on: 19 September, 2009, 01:24:59 pm »
I had a beautiful Parker pen set given to me when I graduated... which I have probably lost - well,  will see once we have unpacked everything...

My writing returns to something like the rather good handwriting I had in school when I use a fountain pen. My wife prefers a particular Pentel - but they are much better than fountain pens for writing Japanese...