Linked Events

• Upper Thames: 06 November, 2010

Author Topic: Upper Thames 5th November 2022  (Read 106180 times)

Re: Upper Thames 4th November 2017
« Reply #425 on: 05 November, 2017, 10:25:34 am »
Two witnesses and their phone numbers. Got the drivers details.

« Reply #426 on: 05 November, 2017, 10:30:42 am »
Glad that you are ok, but strongly suggest that you report the matter to the police before some other cyclist is less fortunate.  Possible grounds for dangerous driving by the sounds of it.

« Reply #427 on: 05 November, 2017, 12:30:28 pm »
Crikey, glad to hear you're okay!

I had a bit of an epic ride also. Got my third puncture on arrival at the first info control, already right at the back of the field. Diverted to Henley Cycles for extra tubes (where another rider had left his bike after a total failure of his rear wheel - hope all was okay) and came very very close to giving in to the temptation to jump on a train.

Back on route, negotiating one of the flooded sections, when a 4 x 4 driver coming the opposite way took exception to the fact that I was carefully picking my way, closer to the middle of the road and hurled a load of abuse my way. I should have bitten my tongue, but did respond (not disproportionately I may add) and then had to put in a bit of an uphill sprint as he dismounted his vehicle to 'discuss the matter further!'

Hammered it to Waterperry where I started to catch a few riders, bolted down an excellent plate of egg and beans on toast, then back on the gas until I totally bonked at Chipping Norton. So bad did I feel that I couldn't even manage the last half mile into the town, instead controlling at the garage on the roundabout and eating £12 worth of crap. (Turns out that chicken wraps, chocolate, chocolate milk and red bull DO mix!)

Suitable refreshed, morale soared and I positively flew over the lovely rolling terrain of the Cotswolds and thoroughly enjoyed the fast miles between Brize Norton (my old stomping ground - served nearly 10 years there) and the arrivee. So much so that I upped my overall average speed from 11mph (to Chipping Norton) to 15.5mph by the end. Great display of the full moon and fireworks riding back to Didcot for the 7.18pm train home.

Huge satisfaction at having finished despite the conditions and problems en route. Thats why I love Audax!

« Reply #428 on: 05 November, 2017, 03:55:38 pm »
I can’t say a year concentrating on short time trials was the best preparation for that.  Still, I enjoyed the rain in a sadistic kind of way and was happy with my choice of clothing to combat it ( Goretex jacket, rainlegs and Shimano MW81 shoes ).  Good company with Rob from Chippenham.  Felt pretty tired after the head windy drag up to Chipping Norton where the battery on my new Garmin 820 died.  Luckily I caught Rob up at the cafe there after puncturing in Biscester and he agreed to navigate the final stretch with me.  Riding towards the huge moon along the dark lanes was a highlight.  As was the good folk of South Oxfordshire who were kindly letting off fireworks to celebrate my return.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #429 on: 05 November, 2017, 03:57:49 pm »
Two witnesses and their phone numbers.

They don't count though, because they were on bikes, so are obviously not impartial...

Upper Thames 4th November 2017
« Reply #430 on: 05 November, 2017, 04:02:04 pm »
There were only 4 of us. Two cyclists and a dopey car driver and me.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #431 on: 05 November, 2017, 04:19:19 pm »
the battery on my new Garmin 820 died.

The fun over the charging port didn't help!!
It is simpler than it looks.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #432 on: 05 November, 2017, 04:51:05 pm »

They don't count though, because they were on bikes, so are obviously not impartial...

nonsense...

« Reply #433 on: 05 November, 2017, 05:03:55 pm »
the battery on my new Garmin 820 died.

The fun over the charging port didn't help!!

But quite funny looking back on it.

« Reply #434 on: 05 November, 2017, 06:24:41 pm »
Really enjoyed the ride it confirmed why I enjoy Audax rides so much.
Great route, mixture of weather, good controls, friendly riders who provide help when you need it, refreshments at the beginning and the end.
Looking forward to my next one which will be my 27th month in a row - they are addictive

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #435 on: 05 November, 2017, 07:12:19 pm »
It was me with the ruined real wheel. Peter at Henley Cycles said he would replace the spokes, but on removal of the cassette found damage to most, so instead he leant me a wheel, and I was able to restart, having lost only an hour. Twenty minutes later I had my first puncture, which further delayed me.

I made it to Waterperry, bumping (mataphorically) into Phil D just outside Wheatley.

Remaining gear selection problems and diappeatring stamina meant that I decided to quit at Ashendon, a mere 5 miles from home. I probaly could gave completed the ride without the delays, although after 4 years away, I am still trying to rebuild strength.

Lycra Man

« Reply #436 on: 06 November, 2017, 02:54:38 pm »
Meeting Kevin Sp8 (a fellow Chippenham Wheeler) at Chippenham Station was a good start to the day and we chewed the fat all the way to Didcot Parkway
I thought that the puncture fairy had paid an early visit when wheeling my bike out of the station I discovered a sort back tyre.  Whacking some wind into it we had a soggy 5.5 mile ride to the depart at Cholsey.  I wielded the pump at the rear tyre again, not knowing if it had softened or not, before the off.  Riding myself in at my own pace I found myself constantly with others and paired up the Whippet (Kevin No 2).  As his handle suggests, he was a little more nifty up the rises than me (I have always done a fine impression of a geriatric snail up  the ups) but on the whole our pace was compatible, especially on a dead bit of road into the wind where through and off worked for us. 
Waterperry came at the right time for me I was getting hungry and that back tyre was due for a little more air…and the rain eased off!!!   :)
The first bit out of Bicester towards Chipping Norton was a bit of a struggle with showers.  I thinking I was missing Whippet’s company who had stopped in Bicester to see to a puncture (Nice man had insisted I go on and not get cold).
The old Mill Café at certainly had good food hand hot drinks with card stamping professionally completed by Jadded.  – A bit more air into the tyre (whether it needed it or not!) and off into the final leg of clear skies, beautiful sunset and moon with fireworks and encouragement from Whippet when, in the final kilometres my energy waned…Thank you.
Thank you, also, to Phil D and team for an excellent event.
Foot note: Having reset my Garmin for the ride back to Didcot Parkway a big smile came across my face as I retrieved my bike from the guards van at Chippenham, the light was on, and the max speed recorded… 126.94mph!!!
Oh, and the rear tyre, still inflated yesterday morning…so what was that all about!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #437 on: 06 November, 2017, 06:55:13 pm »
Did noone get any flood pictures??

I guess the tendency to never take photos in bad weather was too strong!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #438 on: 06 November, 2017, 11:17:59 pm »

Best I can do is https://photos.app.goo.gl/BPwAhbT8ZjTz01Bx2. Taken near Sonning Common - I think there were a couple of slightly more challenging puddles on the last stretch to Dunsden Green.

« Reply #439 on: 07 November, 2017, 09:14:12 am »

Best I can do is https://photos.app.goo.gl/BPwAhbT8ZjTz01Bx2. Taken near Sonning Common - I think there were a couple of slightly more challenging puddles on the last stretch to Dunsden Green.

Good job this wasn't a "compulsory route" event, since you were off-route when this was taken!  The gate on the left of that picture is the Kidmore End War Memorial Hall (confusingly in Sonning Common) where the Upper Thames used to start/finish (2004 to about 2008) and the Henley Hilly Hundred still does happen.

« Reply #440 on: 07 November, 2017, 09:23:45 am »
61 finishers this year from 69 starters (and about 120 entries), so numbers well down on previous years.  Partly increasing event-competition, partly the overnight weather, I guess. 

Well done to everyone who finished.  Most had a smile on their face at the end.

As usual my thanks to all those who helped me stage this event - Mary for planning the food, Barbara Uttley for her help in preparing and serving the food, Liam FitzPatrick for checking the route, Jonathan Duckworth for manning the Chippy control, Brian Perry for overseeing the car park, Mick Simmons for help at the arrivee, and in the kitchen, and Brian Mann and Andy Uttley for pitching in after riding and helping us to clear the hall at the end.

I have sent £216 to the Thames Valley Air Ambulance, that being the surplus on the event plus donations on the day.  Thank you all.

November 3rd next year.  The 15th version.  Trevor Wale has ridden them all so far.

« Reply #441 on: 07 November, 2017, 01:07:59 pm »
I would be very interested in riding this as a DIY soon (with better preparation), it looks a lovely route.

It is a route I love, I was not fit enough this year, but it would be very different without the leaves on the roads and no fireworks.  but still a cracking route.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #442 on: 13 November, 2017, 07:59:17 am »
As an aside, did anyone see the little 3 legged deer ( Muntjac I think ) running around the riders car park in Cholsey after the finish?  Presumably it had had some major vet surgery and yet appeared to be thriving.

Re: Upper Thames 3rd November 2018
« Reply #443 on: 09 September, 2018, 05:19:00 pm »
Time to remind you of this late-season event.  Entries rolling in but loads of places still available.

Plenty of comment upthread about the event, (mostly positive!). I see the last but one was from Geoff C, sadly no longer with us. He used to be a regular, though not as regular as Trevor Wale, who as I note above has done them all so far.

simonp

« Reply #444 on: 09 September, 2018, 06:00:32 pm »
Thanks for the reminder Phil I’ve been meaning to get my entry in. Always been one of my favourite events.

« Reply #445 on: 09 September, 2018, 06:54:25 pm »
Just entered. It's going to kill me renew my enthusiasm for cycling (shift-work and music
practice/rehearsals permitting).

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #446 on: 09 September, 2018, 07:16:29 pm »
Not a late season event  it's an early season event. Though nowadays not as early as the Anfractuous. :)

See you in November, Phil!

« Reply #447 on: 09 September, 2018, 08:56:07 pm »
This is one of my fave events and normally my birthday outing.  The section from Waterperry around to Chippy is always awesome in the late autumn.

Liam

« Reply #448 on: 10 September, 2018, 05:36:22 am »
The section from Waterperry around to Chippy is always awesome difficult in the late autumn (especially if there's a headwind).

Liam
FTFY

« Reply #449 on: 10 September, 2018, 10:24:15 pm »
I seem to have ridden this only in even years.  Maybe be a bit jet-lagged this time around as will be Beijing the week before. :facepalm: