Author Topic: Washing machine recommendations...  (Read 13622 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Washing machine recommendations...
« Reply #75 on: 13 September, 2017, 10:06:58 pm »

One other tip (I think) to help the longevity, is not to ever spin at the machine's fastest speed.

Though the extra you pay in drying costs may counter that. Especially in Scotland.
We have Hebridean neighbours. The washing is put out and it stays there until it's dry, however long it takes.

If I did that here in winter it would go out in November and not come in again until April. It just doesn't get dry.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #76 on: 13 September, 2017, 11:20:38 pm »
I thought hatler was going to say
"We have Hebridean neighbours. The washing is put out and is dry within minutes, due to the high winds they have out there."

:-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #77 on: 15 September, 2017, 02:43:43 pm »
Ebac is an English made machine. 10 year warranty on the 8kg model circa £500. There are cheaper models.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #78 on: 15 September, 2017, 07:51:42 pm »
Ebac is an English made machine. 10 year warranty on the 8kg model circa £500. There are cheaper models.
Ooh and they do hot fill as well, my mum would be delighted.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #79 on: 15 September, 2017, 08:38:03 pm »
We dry in the house. With a dehumidifier. Well, obviously we have domestic staff to do the actual work, it doesn't do for one to do such things oneself.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #80 on: 17 September, 2017, 08:22:52 pm »
I thought hatler was going to say
"We have Hebridean neighbours. The washing is put out and is dry within minutes, due to the high winds they have out there."

And in Wales....
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Washing machine recomendations
« Reply #81 on: 18 September, 2017, 07:56:10 am »
I'd say buy cheap, most should come with 5 years guarantee, thank you consumer credit act, when it breaks bin it and get another.

We went medium-cheap with a Beko washer-dryer (I know, but space is limited) when we bought our first place a couple of years ago - about a week before the first year's warranty expired the drying stopped working.

Logged a call with the engineer, who was duly despatched to repair it free of charge...long story short, he said if you're not spending silly money you may as well look towards the lower end as there's very little difference once you get into the middle ranges from any manufacturer.

Also went through extended warranties as we'd had a reminder through about extending it through KnowHow - he said paying the c.£130 was incredible value as it basically meant we wouldn't have to worry about anything breaking in that time as it would just be replaced.

The bit that stuck in my mind though was one nugget; '...and of course, if it needs a complete replacement they'll take the old one away when they bring the new one in'!

Warranties are a con.  You get two years minimum, then expected life of an appliance from the sale of goods act.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #82 on: 18 September, 2017, 02:15:38 pm »
My mum used to put the cost of the extended warranty into premium bonds, which could then be sold to fund repair or replacement as necessary.  Even without winning the occasional £50, she was quids-in.

« Reply #83 on: 18 September, 2017, 06:13:01 pm »
We've certainly been here before, but not for a while (to my recollection).

Today's 30°C wash resulted in my house and laundry stinking of burnt rubber  :sick:.
The culprit is an inherited (in 2003, when I moved in) Candy Aquaviva 1000 (which could be 10 or  more years old), which has actually done an OK job for the last seven or so years - for a machine which to all intents and purposes was 'free'.
I have no intention of either investigating the problem or repairing said Candy machine.

Single occupancy household, no heavy duty use.
1 wash per week, occasionally a second one.
Requirement for a 30°C wash.
Requirement for a bog standard wash.
Requirement for a hot / linen wash.
That's about it.
Don't need any other toys with bells and whistles.

I'm vacillating between a bargain John Lewis Own Brand machine (as I've heard they're apparently more than OK), and a Miele (as I am big on the longevity thing).
Opposite ends of the spectrum, I know.

What does the panel think?

I've a 12 year old Blue Sky that got a bit burning rubber smell then the spin stopped working properly.

I replaced the belt and all was well.  Cost 18 euros.

It's quite tricky getting the new belt on cos they is tight but Park Tools tyre levers did the trick. 

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #84 on: 18 September, 2017, 09:44:58 pm »
My mum used to put the cost of the extended warranty into premium bonds, which could then be sold to fund repair or replacement as necessary.  Even without winning the occasional £50, she was quids-in.
+1. We avoid extended warranties for everything. We've made more than enough to pay for the odd machine that does break down.

David Martin

« Reply #85 on: 20 September, 2017, 05:05:17 pm »
We got a Bosch. It is working very nicely, very quiet spin.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #86 on: 20 September, 2017, 08:26:22 pm »
Don't get the Indesit that Big Clive gave us a guided tour of.  Looks very cheap and nasty (though well done for using an induction motor and making everything easy to get at):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EUHuFeFfCdA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/EUHuFeFfCdA&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/EUHuFeFfCdA

I anticipate a follow-up video when it fails.

David Martin

« Reply #87 on: 21 September, 2017, 08:50:16 pm »
With mine the fancy integrated computer released magic smoke.

« Reply #88 on: 22 September, 2017, 10:17:49 pm »
I aspire to be able to afford/justify:

http://www.iseappliances.co.uk/

We have done, about 3 years ago.I like the "fix it, don't bin it" philosophy.  At the time they had 5 year and 10 year guarantee  models. I think ours is the 5 year.
Sadly, it didn't work out.
https://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/ise-washing-machines-overview/
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #89 on: 25 September, 2017, 09:40:46 am »
Our all singing all dancing Zanussi washer / drier died four years ago (far too shart a lifespan for what we paid for it, but that's a nother story). Money was a bit tight then so we bought the cheapest washing machine we could find, a Logik somethingorother for £119.99, including delivery from Curry's. The thinking was it'll do until we can afford a better one.  Four years later the bugger is still working perfectly!

Okay it may not be the quietest of models and it doesn't have some of the fancy settings & buttons of the more expensive ones, but it washes well, it's quiet enough and does the job. I dare say have just typed this it'll conk out this afternoon, but even if it does that's a cost of just £30 per year making it the most cost effective washing machine I've ever bought!

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #90 on: 25 September, 2017, 11:05:22 am »
Most washing machines are cheap by historical standards, costing two or three days' wages. To make them cheaply, the factory saves time on the build process. So the drums are sealed through welding rather than bolts, and as a result the machine cannot be disassembled for servicing. As a result of that, the bearings are inaccessible and non-replaceable. In addition to this, printed circuit boards take the place of mechanical controllers. PCBs can burn out, or electrical connections can come loose with repeated shaking.

While most machines are made quickly and cheaply, there are a few made to be rebuildable, the way all machines used to be made. It's time-consuming for the manufacturer, which is why these machines are priced at a fortnight's wages rather than three days'. But consumers can expect them to be economically repairable.

Another point about a quality machine is that it will last longer before it needs servicing because of better design and component spec.

Finally there's the problem of unnecessarily high speed spin. 1200 RPM is plenty. And yet consumers choosing on spec will choose something that does 1600 RPM because more is better. 1600 RPM can create a lot of vibration, and so a cheaply built machine can rattle itself to pieces after not very long.

I looked into this last year and found that the only sub-£600 washing machine built with at least some of these longevity principles in mind was the entry-level machine from Miele. This happens to be well reviewed for energy efficiency, and it runs quietly. That's the one we chose.

We've had cheap machines previously. The last one failed when we heard a grinding noise, which soon became a metallic banging noise. I guess the bearing disintegrated. That was after ten years of light use, i.e. two loads a week. The council collected it for £30.

The one before that failed by never stopping washing. It ran all day without pumping out the water (or rinsing or spinning). That was also ten years old. Luckily it had a mechanical door release, so I was able to retrieve my clothes once I'd pulled the plug. The rag and bone man was delighted with it, once I'd tipped out the water.