Author Topic: Bought any photography stuff today?  (Read 170079 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Bought any photography stuff today?
« Reply #750 on: 17 December, 2016, 09:24:30 pm »
Olympus Pen EP5.  lovely to handle, and very capable. :)
Getting there...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #751 on: 18 December, 2016, 01:28:26 pm »
Olympus Pen EP5.  lovely to handle, and very capable. :)

Nice, especially with a compact 35mm equiv prime.. or thereabouts.(Basically I've recreated the Olympus Trip in digital form.. no bad thing).

I never had a TRIP (the XA2 came out just as I was about to buy one, and I don't regret buying the XA2) but I still regard them as one of the best "real-world" cameras ever made.  Absolutely no fuss image-taker.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #752 on: 18 December, 2016, 08:11:59 pm »
I have a Trip.  Superb camera.

And, yes, my EP5 has a 17/2.8 lens on it while i get all the settings tuned :)
Getting there...

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #753 on: 19 December, 2016, 06:39:42 pm »
I had a Trip "back in the day"; it was my first 35mm camera. Sadly I mislaid it but I managed to pick up a near mint, boxed example that sits on the window cill in my office  8).

ETA: the Trip had a 40mm [f2.8] lens. In the m4/3 world this would be 20mm, which is the lens I most often fit to my Panasonic GF body and this combination is indeed a modern day Trip.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #754 on: 19 December, 2016, 07:03:16 pm »
the panasonic 20 1.7 is a brilliant lens too.. it's the one that lives on my micro 4/3.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #755 on: 19 December, 2016, 11:00:33 pm »
I've mentioned this before but my Canon S120 has a customisable mode that I have used to boot up in "Olympus XA2 Mode" (because the XA2 was perfect).

It was, in my opinion, the greatest "walk-about" 35mm camera (for sensible money...ie. not a Leica).
The clamshell case was a triumph of form following function. (XA shown below)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #756 on: 19 December, 2016, 11:17:31 pm »
Still got my XA. What a thing of beauty, and fabulous to use.
It is simpler than it looks.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #757 on: 20 December, 2016, 11:23:25 am »

The form factor would be just as great for a Digital camera I think. 

Full Frame 24Mp digital XA?  Dear Olympus....Yes please!!

« Reply #758 on: 21 December, 2016, 11:22:35 pm »
Does a GoPro Session 5 count? :D
Mostly to strap on the back of my drones, but I also want to use it to capture the making of my wifes pottery.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #759 on: 22 December, 2016, 08:37:34 am »
After one of those or similar (Black) for a two day time lapse recording of an event. Would be interested to know how you are getting on with it.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #760 on: 22 December, 2016, 12:37:23 pm »
After one of those or similar (Black) for a two day time lapse recording of an event. Would be interested to know how you are getting on with it.

Have you considered using a smart-phone and "Lapse-it-Pro" ?  (You'd need a battery pack I expect but the results are good and programmable).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYmsEsbaO9A

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #761 on: 22 December, 2016, 12:48:06 pm »
I've considered a few things, but not that!

One of the problems is that the device will have to be high up, and therefore inaccessible, for the two days. So, mains (USB?) powered, maybe with a bit of remote control to check it is working, and lots of storage.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #762 on: 22 December, 2016, 03:04:19 pm »
I've considered a few things, but not that!

One of the problems is that the device will have to be high up, and therefore inaccessible, for the two days. So, mains (USB?) powered, maybe with a bit of remote control to check it is working, and lots of storage.

Worth having a test though, micro-SD cards are cheap and most "discarded" Android phones are perfectly capable of running Lapse-it-Pro.

I have "Alfred" on my old phone, so I can use it as a security camera.

« Reply #763 on: 23 December, 2016, 08:51:24 am »
Phantom pro 4 (shared with my dad)

noisycrank

• twitter @noisycrank
« Reply #764 on: 23 December, 2016, 09:18:43 am »

I picked up an XA2 from fleabay during the summer and liked it so much that I bought a spare; both with flash. There are pros and cons to the zone focus but it does make it easier to go for a quick grab. Prices seemed to be variable but significantly lower than the XA.

We had a black plastic camera competition with the family on holiday. The XA2, a Mju II zoom, a Nikon AF point and shoot and a Fuji fixed focus job. Everyone got a roll of 24 from poundland and I got each film processed and scanned to disk at asda for less than 3 quid each.

The winner was a family group shot under trees in shadow with a landscape in full sunshine behind taken with the XA2. Possibly more through luck than anything else the flash handled the difficult exposure conditions nicely. The best "portfolio" was the Fuji mainly due to the framing and interesting shots. The person that was using the fuji also ran through their film more quickly than anyone else. Its not all about the camera.
If you don't like my haircut you can suck my socks!

« Reply #765 on: 26 December, 2016, 08:25:54 am »

A couple of things:
-It's a really wide angle camera. You need to be pretty close to make it useful.
-The battery is tiny. I think it's a 1200mAh and I used about 70% of it yesterday,doing a timelapse of a 3 hour 3D print. (every 5 secs). Granted, I had wifi and voice-recognition turned on and you can significantly increase running time by turning those off, but not up to 2 days, I think :).
- They're tough...really tough. They take 80km/h impacts and just laughs. (haven't done that to mine yet, though, but a couple of my friends have).
The regular gopro's are nowhere near as tough.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #766 on: 27 December, 2016, 12:08:26 am »
For GoPro timelapse, one of these CamDo controllers would be good. https://cam-do.com/collections/long-term-time-lapse/products/blink-gopro-time-lapse-controller
It switches off the camera between shots, so can give much longer battery life. It could last days, or even weeks or months, depending on the interval between photos.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #767 on: 18 January, 2017, 02:16:21 pm »
Canon 70-200 f/4 L IS USM.  Arrived an hour ago.  It's lovely.

Samuel D

« Reply #768 on: 18 January, 2017, 05:11:29 pm »
Invisible image at my end, LEE. Google is useless.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #769 on: 18 January, 2017, 06:35:04 pm »
Not bought by me exactly, but Mrs W gave me a set of extension tubes for my birthday. So far the only photo I've taken with one is of the crumbs left on my plate after breakfast. I see crazy fun ahead 8).
Pen Pusher

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #770 on: 30 January, 2017, 07:52:40 pm »
oooerrr Missus....

£35 to transform a DSLR into a really functional Video Camera with a Neewer 3x viewfinder.

I run "Magic Lantern" firmware which gives me focus-peaking and it works really well.  The eye-cup adds lots of stability over uing 2 hands and peering into the LCD at arms length as per usual.

Samuel D

« Reply #771 on: 30 January, 2017, 08:23:49 pm »
Xtol. Fomacitro. Fomafix. Fotonal. Can’t wait!

« Reply #772 on: 30 January, 2017, 08:47:40 pm »
Xtol. Fomacitro. Fomafix. Fotonal. Can’t wait!

Ah, what a nice list. I'd add, instant coffee, sodium carbonate, ascorbic acid and potassium bromide;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #773 on: 03 March, 2017, 10:34:43 am »
At last!

After ordering for a bargainacious price as a 'well done for getting a lovely job' present to myself, fresh supplies of Toughness have arrived from Mount Olympus, and I am now TG-4ed up!

Heavier than I expected, but soooo much more capable than my TG-630, which it replaces.  And more resilient than the XZ-1, which it will also be replacing (though I am sad to lose the f1.8 lens in favour of a slightly inferior f2.0 in the pursuit of practicality).

What a great little camera, though!  RAW, everything-proof, quick to start and simple to use (as well as being more subtle than the XZ-1, which shoved out a snout of a lens for shooting).

Fisheye, Teleconverter, filter, and ringlight diverter are all available, but I think the basic specs: 25-100mm equiv lens etc will do most daily tasks, including available light portrait.

Looking forward to exploring.
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #774 on: 03 March, 2017, 11:34:04 am »
The rear screen is the weakest part of its defences against stuff. Ours is all scratched.

Shutting the little doors properly can be fun. Great little camera.