Author Topic: James's Orbital Ride  (Read 1533 times)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
James's Orbital Ride
« on: 15 September, 2011, 12:07:12 pm »
Thinking of doing (the whole of) this on Sunday.  Anybody else up for it?  People are positively encouraged to join and leave at way-points.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: James's Orbital Ride
« Reply #1 on: 15 September, 2011, 12:13:28 pm »
This was brought to my attention the other day.  If I wasn't leading my own ride that day I'd be on the orbital ride.  Depending when we finish, I might be able to rush out and catch the ride somewhere north of the Woolwich crossing.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2011, 12:20:20 pm »
Oh arse.  I'd love to do that, but it does clash with Andrij's ride, which I really want to do.  I'll have to pass.
Getting there...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2011, 02:20:52 pm »
I think there were quite a lot of diary clashes, particularly within LCC.  That and some communication failures (James doesn't do the Interweb at all) meant a very low turn up and almost nobody joining at the waypoints.  Shame, given James's vigor and commitment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/itsbruce/sets/72157627704467476/
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2011, 02:32:16 pm »
Yes, some of us on the TPM were discussing the idea of the orbital ride.  We all agreed that the North Circular round Brent Cross was pretty daunting, but most said they would be happy to ride the Circulars as part of a large group.

With more notice, and less of a clash, I would be happy to do it.
Getting there...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2011, 02:58:44 pm »
That's where we joined the North Circular on the way out; since we were going anti-clockwise, we missed the worst of it. As there were so few of us, one of whom hadn't coped so well with the distance, we cut the very last corner and turned onto Finchley Road at Henlys Corner, so we missed the worst of it again.  But if you had turned up and brought more with you, James would probably have opted to go the absolute full distance ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2011, 03:13:09 pm »
Next time, perhaps ;)
Getting there...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2011, 07:35:31 pm »
North & South Circular?

Ha - going round the M25 is a proper bike ride.   ;)

I never got around to repeating this one, for a variety of reasons.  Possibly next year..........
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2011, 07:36:50 pm »
North & South Circular?

Ha - going round the M25 is a proper bike ride.   ;)

I never got around to repeating this one, for a variety of reasons.  Possibly next year..........

I might be in shape for it by the time you run it again...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 19 September, 2011, 07:38:18 pm »
I'll be impressed when you've actually ridden round the M25 ;)
Getting there...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #10 on: 19 September, 2011, 07:49:26 pm »
Well, if Wowbagger's predictions for peak oil and the end of civilisation come true, probably about 15-20 years should do it, once the last car in the UK shudders to a halt having used up its last litre of fuel (which cost about £500).   8)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #11 on: 21 September, 2011, 10:51:59 am »
I did an M25 orbital route last month.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 21 September, 2011, 02:40:14 pm »
Well, if Wowbagger's predictions for peak oil and the end of civilisation come true, probably about 15-20 years should do it, once the last car in the UK shudders to a halt having used up its last litre of fuel (which cost about £500).   8)

Except as you go past Enfield you'll be eaten, unless you go anti-clockwise in which case it will be the denizens of Thurrock.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.