Author Topic: Strava  (Read 61684 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Strava
« on: 27 April, 2012, 11:35:09 pm »
I used Strava (iPhone app) for the first time on my ride after work this evening. Hmmm....

Apparently, I did 68km (my old reliable Cateye tells me I did 42km) and my max speed was 363km/h.  ::-)

I suppose this is what you call a nice problem to have.  ;D

Anyway, does anyone know how you can correct errors in the route tracking? Is it possible to iron out GPS glitches in the record?

If not, my relationship with Strava is going to be a very short one.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Strava
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2012, 01:28:45 am »
Not tried that one, Ive got mapmyride, it seems pretty accurate and is nice and easy to use.

Re: Strava
« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2012, 07:40:03 am »
not heard of that one either, I've been using endomundo which seems pretty accurate.  Here's what you end up with for a pootle into town and back:
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/tXCSlFSln2M

Andrew

« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2012, 07:59:32 am »
I don't use the Strava phone app but I do log my rides (from a Garmin Edge) to the Strava site. I particularly like the segments facility,  finding it motivational! And invariably depressing if somebody else has ridden the same segment!  ;)

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2012, 08:24:40 am »
I resisted signing up to MapMyRide because it wanted me to connect using FriendFace, but that aside, I've heard good things about it. Maybe I should give it a try.

I've previously used RunKeeper, which suffered the same GPS glitches as I experienced with Strava, except that you could easily amend the track to make it correspond with your actual route.

I thought I'd try Strava because lately I've heard so many people banging on about how wonderful it is*, but I suppose it's only ever going to be as good as your GPS signal, and an iPhone 3GS is somewhat limited in that respect. The usefulness of an iPhone as a GPS  device is also limited by battery life. Strava looks like it could be a useful/fun app if you have a Garmin or somesuch. The segments thing certainly appeals to the competitive animal in me.

d.

*I'm slightly surprised that regular users of a cycling forum are saying they've not heard of it - I'm finding it impossible to avoid hearing about it!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2012, 08:37:49 am »
Never heard of it.

(ps what's an iPhone?)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2012, 08:44:54 am »
I resisted signing up to MapMyRide because it wanted me to connect using FriendFace, but that aside, I've heard good things about it. Maybe I should give it a try.

You can use MapMyRide without linking it to your Facebook account, the Facebook login is simply another way to login. So if that's your only concern I'd give it a go

LindaG

« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2012, 08:56:42 am »
I have a few friends who like Strava and was planning to give it a go c.

citoyen

« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2012, 09:07:56 am »
You can use MapMyRide without linking it to your Facebook account, the Facebook login is simply another way to login.

Yes, of course, but my encounter with MMR was at a time when logging into stuff via facebook was the exception rather than the rule, and I took umbrage at them even daring to suggest it. Since then, logging into stuff via faceache has become an inescapable fact of life and I should probably congratulate MMR for their innovation and forward thinking.  ;D

d.

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2012, 09:08:52 am »
Never heard of it.

(ps what's an iPhone?)

Get with the program, grandad.  ;)

d.

« Reply #10 on: 28 April, 2012, 11:25:51 am »
I've been 'on' Strava since we did the Rapha Festive 500 in December. I prefer ridewithGPS.
It's not really my thang, racing over sections. It's very popular in the club though. There has been some discussion re garmin-phone comparisons, as they'll often go over segments on club runs and the fastest on the road is not necessarily the fastest on Strava.

Andrew

« Reply #11 on: 28 April, 2012, 06:31:31 pm »
I wouldn't dare 'challenge' others over the segments I ride! Cripes,  no! It's purely self interest/motivation.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #12 on: 29 April, 2012, 10:52:21 am »
On the bikeradar commuter chat forum quite a few people use strava for London based rivalry

I gave it a go and it is good in many ways.  However, on my phone it doesn't give reliable results.  I've used other GPS recorders and they were slightly better.
I wonder if the paradigm of "run phone app, record route" will ever work on any device.  It takes many minutes to get a position fix.  Maybe with some of the newer GPS things that use more than one set of satellites?  But on an ordinary android phone, forget it

Blog article about Strava
http://audaxing.wordpress.com/2011/10/12/strava-nice-idea-but/

« Reply #13 on: 01 May, 2012, 09:34:40 am »
I like strava.

I used to have a samsung galaxy s1 and gave up using any of these apps as the gps seemed pretty ropey.

Now I have the S2 and it is much better. Fix in under a minute and off you go. Seems quite accurate as well. I recently got an etrex and it's even better, but a bit more hassle as you have to plug it into a computer rather than just click upload on your phone.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #14 on: 01 May, 2012, 10:06:05 am »
I used Strava (iPhone app) for the first time on my ride after work this evening. Hmmm....

Apparently, I did 68km (my old reliable Cateye tells me I did 42km) and my max speed was 363km/h.  ::-)

I suppose this is what you call a nice problem to have.  ;D

Anyway, does anyone know how you can correct errors in the route tracking? Is it possible to iron out GPS glitches in the record?

If not, my relationship with Strava is going to be a very short one.

d.

Strava's ok, and quite useful for comparing segments of similar rides on different days - or for competing against others on the same route! However, any glitches are a little more likely to be in the hardware than software, or could be down to local interference. I have Strava on my i4S and it generally matches my Edge 705 within a percentage point or two, but very occasionally the phone will throw a wobbly and record some impossible speed!

I also occasionally use MapMyRide on the phone, and the phone software for that has had a good few problems over the couple of years it's been around, particularly with saving the data to the website directly from the phone. So much so that I would never use it when I felt the data was particularly important. However, uploading from the Edge has always been easy and accurate - and it's still on the device if the upload fails!

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #15 on: 01 May, 2012, 03:19:24 pm »
There is a yacf group on Strava. Dr Mekon started it in the early days and then I joined. It's been rather lonely.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #16 on: 02 May, 2012, 08:50:34 pm »
I was browsing around earlier on Bikeradar and such places in order to see if anything had been written about a commuting ‘incident’ that I saw earlier, and also to see if I could see any comments anywhere on the aggressive and twatty cycling that is a regular feature of my SW London (New King’s Road, etc etc) commute.

It led me to Strava and Strava segments (the latter being possible explanation for some of the twattery), and to this LFGSS post which I thought was interesting and plausible:

http://www.lfgss.com/post2861372-1.html

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #17 on: 02 May, 2012, 08:59:43 pm »
Strava allows you to specify a radius around locations within which your GPS traces won't be displayed. Obviously it makes sense to make that area quite large and not centred directly on your home address.

citoyen

Strava
« Reply #18 on: 04 May, 2012, 07:29:28 pm »
Having used Strava a few times now, I'm starting to like it - or maybe it's the fact that I've posted a couple of competitive segment times that I like...

How do I join the yacf group?

d.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #19 on: 08 May, 2012, 10:28:32 am »
There should be a join button on this page: yacf on Strava
Strava's search facility is a bit rubbish.

citoyen

« Reply #20 on: 08 May, 2012, 10:33:31 am »
Cheers! Yep, search facility on Strava is useless. Didn't have much luck searching the yacf archives either, but that's probably me being useless.

d.

« Reply #22 on: 21 October, 2012, 10:05:11 pm »
We're going to have to segment all the famous audax climbs of course.  I guess the Gospel Pass is already there though?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #23 on: 21 October, 2012, 10:11:18 pm »
We've just joined.  Don't expect me to be competing.  I might log stuff if I remember.
Getting there...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #24 on: 21 October, 2012, 10:22:29 pm »
Strava is currently spoiling all our club rides. On every little rise, some muppet with a Garmin decides he needs a "placing" and attacks, then sits up at the top and, so when the group eventually comes back together everybody is wearing out their brake blocks and rims because Mr Bigshot Strava Segment is is too tired to pedal down the other side. I hate Strava.