Author Topic: Strava  (Read 61685 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: Strava
« Reply #50 on: 30 January, 2013, 10:40:04 am »
Most of the segments in Cardiff seem to have semi pros or maybe even pros topping the rankings. I've seen times on quite vicious climb around here that aren't far off my flat speed. Maybe this not such a good segment but the top time is still a healthy 27 mph and it's slightly uphill.

I'll post a link if you like. But later as I'm on my phone atm.
Alternatively, I've since read the backlog and have joined the yacf group so you could just go and have a look if you're also there. It's called the Ely bridge sprint  and it was done this morning so should still be high up the list.

Tell your boys to choose a quiet time though its an approach to a busy roundabout. I only got away with doing it quickly today because the traffic was so heavy it was almost stationary allowing to zip past it all. I ways love that.  ;D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #51 on: 30 January, 2013, 10:58:26 am »
I'd be a little wary of some of the times - I did read on another forum of someone bagging KOM's on a scooter :(

How do I join the yacf group?

caerau

« Reply #52 on: 30 January, 2013, 11:21:25 am »
I found it through searching for clubs. Type in yacf to the search box and make sure the location box is blank ( Cambridge would work there though too)

PaulF

« Reply #53 on: 30 January, 2013, 11:34:02 am »
It populates the location box with my location if I leave it blank and forcing it to Cambridge doesn't work either...

caerau

« Reply #54 on: 30 January, 2013, 11:46:17 am »
Yes once the search has failed you get a second screen where you can delete the location.
There's probably an easier way but that is what worked for me.

PaulF

« Reply #55 on: 30 January, 2013, 11:52:52 am »
No, not working for me :( also tried United Kingdom and England as location with no success

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #56 on: 30 January, 2013, 01:19:38 pm »

PaulF

« Reply #57 on: 30 January, 2013, 01:50:19 pm »
Thanks - that's worked!

caerau

« Reply #58 on: 30 January, 2013, 02:35:07 pm »
Ah, I see you made it, seeing as I'm not the newest member anymore.  Good-o  :thumbsup:

(I must update that fb photo of mine - I've lost soooo much weight since that was taken)

« Reply #59 on: 31 January, 2013, 04:58:21 pm »
I get daily emails to tell me some bitch other female rider has taken one of my QOMs! I have a ridiculous number of them not because I am speedy up hill (as if) but because there are probably not that many females on Strava in some of the areas I ride yet.

caerau

« Reply #60 on: 31 January, 2013, 06:10:18 pm »
Try using Map My Ride, you'll be empress over there it's so quiet - I have many KOMs and I'm built like Bill Beaumont!

« Reply #61 on: 31 January, 2013, 07:19:11 pm »
I get daily emails to tell me some bitch other female rider has taken one of my QOMs! I have a ridiculous number of them not because I am speedy up hill (as if) but because there are probably not that many females on Strava in some of the areas I ride yet.

;D

« Reply #62 on: 14 February, 2013, 09:02:27 pm »
I got an Etrex 30, so Strava has now got more interesting for me. I'm placed nowhere around Otley, being the cycling mecca that it is, but I'm in the top 10 on a few places in Bradford 'cos nobody else dare cycle there.

Not yet at the point where I make an effort for segments; more minded just to try to get my suffer score up. However, I'm sure when the fixed goes away for its summer rest, I'll go looking for KOMs.

I can see it getting quite addictive. Great for people (like me) with parenting duties that preclude club riding etc.

« Reply #63 on: 15 February, 2013, 09:54:50 am »
Having used Strava for a year, the novelty is definitely wearing off. It spoils my rides out by forcing me to go for a good time on segments when I just want to enjoy myself. I can no longer stop and enjoy the view mid segment (or stop for any traffic or mechanical issues). If I were a more competitive rider then maybe I would value it a little more, but then it doesn't display the data in a particularly convenient way unless I pay. It is also frustrating being an Etrex user to find that Strava refuses to recognise such un sporty devices.

I have re acquainted myself with  http://ridewithgps.com/. It displays all the data in a very clear and convenient manner and speaks to my Etrex 20, extracting the correct data even if I forgot to reset it! It doesn't yet have as good a social element as Strava, but maybe that's not such a bad thing, all these apps link into Facebook.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #64 on: 15 February, 2013, 10:02:51 am »
I'm actually enjoying Strava a lot.  I couldn't care less how fast I am in relation to the rest of the world - I know I am not going to be anyone near the top.

Where it is really helping motivate me is my regular laps around Richmond Park (I try and do 3 laps a couple of times a week and use them as pretty high intensity rides on the fixed).  It is fascinating (to me!) to see where I am in relation to myself.  I can see where I am improving, where I have slacked off on a lap (or where the wind is blowing on any given day). 

I am getting measurable speed increases as I get fitter and Strava is helping me with this greatly.

As I said, they could turn off the whole KoM thing as far as I'm concerned - I know I'll be in the bottom half of most segments!  I only care about my own times.

Another neat feature (if you didn't know) is that each bike you own, you can add parts to the profile of the bike and it will then record the mileage for that part (so chains, tyres etc.) - makes measuring lifetime quick and easy. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #65 on: 15 February, 2013, 03:39:19 pm »
I'd like there to be a 'distance covered before this segment' filter.

Not that I'm competitive or anything, but I think you'll find, skinny little girls, that if the segment comes after 375km it's not impossible I'll be a little slower than you were after 3.75km.

I should just turn off the notifications.  :facepalm:

Chris S

« Reply #66 on: 15 February, 2013, 03:56:58 pm »
I quite like having a competitive stoker on the tandem - when we see a cyclist up ahead, we mysteriously seem to speed up  :D.

« Reply #67 on: 15 February, 2013, 05:52:10 pm »
I'm finding overall it is becoming a greater benefit for longer rides. During the recent Jack and Grace Cotton 100k, there was a 20 odd mile segment between controls that I somehow ended up third in. Admittedly we were in a swift group and the pace was such, but it was surprising and heartening to see my efforts paying off in someway. Those results are always made sweeter when you didn't know at the time it was a segment.

Some of the smaller hills are pointless though as you know there are some saddo's driving to the bottom of the hill, warming up for one mile and hitting it as hard as they can then rolling back down and driving home.

« Reply #68 on: 15 February, 2013, 07:20:49 pm »

Not that I'm competitive or anything, but I think you'll find, skinny little girls, that if the segment comes after 375km it's not impossible I'll be a little slower than you were after 3.75km.

Just use this to make appropriate adjustments http://www.digitalepo.com/

« Reply #69 on: 15 February, 2013, 11:07:53 pm »
Another neat feature (if you didn't know) is that each bike you own, you can add parts to the profile of the bike and it will then record the mileage for that part (so chains, tyres etc.) - makes measuring lifetime quick and easy.

Ah hadn't seen that. I'd only stuck with bikejournal 'cos of that function. Great - now I can ditch it.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #70 on: 17 February, 2013, 07:52:46 am »

Ah hadn't seen that. I'd only stuck with bikejournal 'cos of that function. Great - now I can ditch it.

Caveat - I have only just started using it that way, so dn't know how good it is at storing history when you retire something etc. (I.e. can I look back and see what the lifespan of my last 5 chains was?). But it is a pretty neat feature I think.

But obviously it knows what bike you have ridden and for how far, so it should all automagically tot up life on the bits that wear out.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #71 on: 07 March, 2013, 12:33:22 pm »
Nabbing KOM on this well known descent is the possibly the greatest achievement of my adult life :)

If my wife found out, she'd kill me quicker than a blow out would have. Maxed at 82.5kph

http://app.strava.com/segments/3061153

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #72 on: 07 March, 2013, 01:42:36 pm »

Just create a longer segment with the previous 375km included and revel in your unassailable QoM status  ;D

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #73 on: 07 March, 2013, 02:33:31 pm »
I was amused to find after doing a circuit of RP and a right turn at Robin Hood Gate, that there is a segment which does exactly that, presumably so the originator doesn't get lost somewhere down the rankings below the fastlads ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #74 on: 07 March, 2013, 06:58:33 pm »
I've got some work to do for some of my local fastest times.
One of my regular routes back home follows a local TT course along some lanes. There are some very fast riders in Milton Keynes. On one of the segments one of the locals who regularly wins the club TTs averaged 33mph on a mostly downhill segment. But he's only number 2. A few days before the Olympic road race Ian Stannard came home and went out for an 83 mile ride (averaging 23mph). He averaged 43mph on that bit! Then he flew up the hill in the gastest time too.
My PR so far on that segment is 26mph. :(