Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 473126 times)

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2275 on: 16 December, 2017, 08:15:00 pm »
... complaint about a helmet-less cyclist on the cover of the previous issue ... chapeau to everyone involved ..

Don't you start

Rather selective quote.
Author states this is at odds with sentiment.
Please exercise caution with selection!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #2276 on: 16 December, 2017, 08:52:26 pm »
Interesting article about US touring, made me ponder (for the first time ever) going there on a tour

Don't go there in August Fogust.  We experienced a lot of fog on US Pacific coast when we cycled from the top of Washington State, setting of near the end of July, and finishing in LA in mid September. Cycling along the Pacific coast in August wearing three layers, full fingered gloves & with the tail lights flashing begins to suck after more than a few days, especially when you know it is >30 °C a few miles inland.[/img]

The one time I got to visit the west coast was in August.  You could see the fog bank about 5 miles inland from the Oregon coast.  I think I saw about 20 feet of the Pacific.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #2277 on: 03 March, 2018, 02:54:47 am »
Arrivee appears to lost in action again not sure if publication is now offset by a month. Does anyone have any news of it's arrival?
It's all about the breakfast

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2278 on: 03 March, 2018, 07:31:19 am »
Arrivee appears to lost in action again not sure if publication is now offset by a month. Does anyone have any news of it's arrival?

Pretty sure it has moved one month forward, so it should be soon-ish

« Reply #2279 on: 03 March, 2018, 07:46:36 pm »

Pretty sure it has moved one month forward, so it should be soon-ish

The AUK Forum can be a better place for "inhouse" queries like this as not everyone in head-office gets to look at YACF.  The editor might be along in a moment to give you a better answer, but I'm not expecting to see Arrivee for another 3 weeks yet.  I happen to know that the new MemSec will be creating the mailing list next week in anticipation of its requirement.

« Reply #2280 on: 24 March, 2018, 08:59:01 am »
Mines just turned up. The move away from plastic packaging is a good one.

Chris Wilby can go on the list mind.  ::-)

« Reply #2281 on: 24 March, 2018, 10:37:31 am »

It's a can of rotting worms.  Anecdote and unsubstantiated opinion never contribute anything positive to a letters page, not even humour in this case.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #2282 on: 24 March, 2018, 11:59:46 am »
Mine has arrived. Looks fantastic, best layout/formatting yet. Great job! Now to read it, although I really probably should try riding my bike.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2283 on: 24 March, 2018, 12:45:18 pm »
nice touch to get rid of the plastic wrapper... very much in line with the times!!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2284 on: 24 March, 2018, 01:02:56 pm »

It's a can of rotting worms.  Anecdote and unsubstantiated opinion never contribute anything positive to a letters page, not even humour in this case.

The bareheaded cyclist pictured on p18 accompanied by the caption "I get knocked down ... but I get up again"   ;D
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2285 on: 24 March, 2018, 02:30:47 pm »
Great news on the paper packaging.

Really sad the editing team didn’t learn from the last edition, to leave the whole helmet debate alone. It’s just a tribalistic wind up.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2286 on: 24 March, 2018, 02:38:53 pm »
Anyway, some excellent photography in the latest edition.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #2287 on: 24 March, 2018, 05:57:17 pm »

Really sad the editing team didn’t learn from the last edition, to leave the whole helmet debate alone. It’s just a tribalistic wind up.

Personal view is that it was appropriate to allow 'right of reply' for one issue.
I do hope the editor feels that is sufficient though, after all as one corrspondent wrote, never seen anyone change their mind....

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #2288 on: 24 March, 2018, 06:08:31 pm »
Pretty sure this issue last year had a list of new super randonneurs as well as the RRTYs, was looking forward to seeing my name on both lists.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #2289 on: 24 March, 2018, 07:54:26 pm »
I've pored over this edition of Arrivee and it looks as if I get absolutely no mention at all for the first time in ages - not even on the paper envelope (great idea) as the return-to-sender, and I don't have any events in the Calendar. 

Ah.  I've just spotted that although we've changed the name of the Membership Secretary, Caroline doesn't live in Delph.  We should have seen that one.

« Reply #2290 on: 24 March, 2018, 08:15:54 pm »
Mike, have another look at Bob Bialek's LEL report.....

« Reply #2291 on: 24 March, 2018, 09:52:04 pm »

Thanks for the warning - I'll chuck mine in to the recycling bin without opening it!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2292 on: 24 March, 2018, 10:50:44 pm »

Thanks for the warning - I'll chuck mine in to the recycling bin without opening it!

IMO that would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I've not read much yet myself but there's LOADS that's not the benighted h*lm*t debate.

Looks like an excellent mag that's come a very long way since I joined AUK.

« Reply #2293 on: 25 March, 2018, 07:17:48 am »
Well I thought the mag was really well put together. Well done to all involved. :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2294 on: 25 March, 2018, 08:48:14 am »

You’ll miss my contribution  :'(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2295 on: 25 March, 2018, 01:30:03 pm »

Yeah, that was the best bit!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2296 on: 25 March, 2018, 01:44:41 pm »

Yeah, that was the best bit!

I’ve always liked you  ;D

It’s a shame the article was edited, I guess to save space, as I think (as you’d expect I would!) that the original version read betterer. Also some of the photos I submitted were left out, they were mostly of drinks and pubs.

« Reply #2297 on: 26 March, 2018, 09:11:31 am »

It’s a shame the article was edited, I guess to save space, as I think (as you’d expect I would!) that the original version read betterer. Also some of the photos I submitted were left out, they were mostly of drinks and pubs.

That may be my fault, they asked me to add some extra features to my LEJOG article (just preceding yours).

Part of the purpose of the article is for anyone planning a LEJOG in 2018......and believe me, it takes a bit of planning. At least with my own local events I can test the route beforehand....although spending yesterday out riding to construct a route sheet and writing down the signposts at every junction is a chore not needed on LEJOG!
http://www.westerley.cc/may-day-chiltern-audaxes-theyre-back/

« Reply #2298 on: 26 March, 2018, 02:50:26 pm »

That may be my fault, they asked me to add some extra features to my LEJOG article (just preceding yours).

Part of the purpose of the article is for anyone planning a LEJOG in 2018......and believe me, it takes a bit of planning. At least with my own local events I can test the route beforehand....although spending yesterday out riding to construct a route sheet and writing down the signposts at every junction is a chore not needed on LEJOG!
http://www.westerley.cc/may-day-chiltern-audaxes-theyre-back/
Although I've no ambition to do LeJog this was a very well written article, full of useful stuff, but in an easy to read format. I hope it gets archived somewhere for the next nutter who wants to attempt this (and possibly my son and his wife)

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #2299 on: 26 March, 2018, 10:29:33 pm »
I have just read the item by Laura Pugh in Arrivee. I met Laura and Steve for the first and so far only time at last years Millie Pennines. When at the start I saw Laura and thought she looked slight and would not have the strength to finish. Well I crossed paths with the tandem on a few occasions and I walked up some hills and they did not. Laura is as tough as you like and her and Steve are a team and she is not a passenger at all.

I saw them at the end. To finish that on a tandem and not walk at all is amazing.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.