Author Topic: homebrew?  (Read 64312 times)

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
Re: homebrew?
« Reply #275 on: 10 April, 2023, 03:48:57 pm »
3rd brew of the year, 2nd was Working Monk's Lunch, a Chimay Doree clone, this one is another Northants County as brew #1 was/is so good.

Pedal Castro

« Reply #276 on: 22 May, 2023, 08:20:57 pm »
I'd be interested in your set-up. Last time I brewed was using a burco boiler as a mash tun and it involved a lot of monitoring of the temperature and starch conversion.

I've set up my beer fridge now, 3 beers available on tap if you want to pop by one evening this week and taste judge them PO?

« Reply #277 on: 24 May, 2023, 09:55:03 pm »
I'd be interested in your set-up. Last time I brewed was using a - boiler as a mash tun and it involved a lot of monitoring of the temperature and starch conversion.

I've set up my beer fridge now, 3 beers available on tap if you want to pop by one evening this week and taste judge them PO?

Oh wow, what an offer, unfortunately I'm in London all week :-\
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Pedal Castro

« Reply #278 on: 26 May, 2023, 08:04:42 am »

Brew day

Pressure transfer to keg after fermentation

Beer fridge

Beer fridge inside

Northants County on it's way to maturation, a month to go...

A fully conditioned Landlord clone (only 3.2%abv)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #279 on: 26 August, 2023, 08:27:57 pm »
1 gal rhubarb, ready for bottling

Today, picked a bunch of elderberries, so have a litre of elderberry vodka steeping, and will start some wine tomorrow.  Remainder to be frozen, as I need to get some honey to try an elderberry mead
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #280 on: 15 October, 2023, 09:26:12 pm »
I am thinking of mashing up some beer for Chrismas, can anyone recommend a mail order supplier?

Pedal Castro

« Reply #281 on: 16 October, 2023, 06:33:09 am »
For ingredients, equipment or both?

« Reply #282 on: 16 October, 2023, 10:33:44 pm »
Just ingredients. Full mash. Malt Ajuncts Hops, winter ale 6-7% abv

Pedal Castro

« Reply #283 on: 17 October, 2023, 06:00:07 am »
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product-category/ingredients/recipes/all-grain-recipes/

https://darkrockbrewing.co.uk/product-category/beer/?product-cat=all-grain-beer-kits

Unlikely they'll have kits in the 6-7% range though but just add dark muscovado sugar to get the abv up. [edited to add that Geterbrewed do have some high abv kits although for some reason the abv is not shown]

If you already have a recipe then Malt Miller or  https://www.geterbrewed.com/ are both good for low quantity ingredient purchases.

« Reply #284 on: 17 October, 2023, 09:26:28 pm »
Thanks, things have changed a bit since I last brewed...

Pedal Castro

« Reply #285 on: 18 October, 2023, 02:24:02 pm »
BREW DAY!

And kegging day. Approx 32l of my first go at a Oktoberfest Marzen (reverse) kegged, half will be bottled. Sample taste was superb, but I must be patient with this...

Today's brew was going to be another Working Monk's Lunch (a Chimay Gold clone) but I added 600g of caramunich 2 instead of carapils so it will be darker than it should be.  :o

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #286 on: 21 November, 2023, 03:41:06 pm »
I dusted off my gear as I had an unbrewed ale kit idling in the shed. It was a bit past its best before date but I got some new yeast and got it going. I bottled up on Saturday so we'll know soon if it's turned out OK.

Also, the mead I made last year has been very successful. Quite potent too! I have loads of scrap honey (mixed with wax cappings from the comb) so I can make another batch :thumbsup:. Might try some flavourings this time.

In other news, Mrs W & I have some wine on the go too (from our own grapes). It's only a small quantity but I'm keen to know how well it will turn out.

I'm loving this (nearly) free booze thing ;D.
Pen Pusher