Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469719 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1975 on: 10 January, 2018, 09:15:35 pm »
Can sleep levels affect energy levels drastically?

I have commuted by bike the same route, same time, on the same bike for a number of years. My times have been consistent over three years. Then two years ago I slowed down in the autumn until spring before returning to my original speed. Reason could be that I developed mild asthma (possibly EIA). However after last winter I didn't recover my pace until later. Then I slowed again after perhaps 2 months not almost 6 as before.

Right now I'm feeling like I've hit a brick wall. The only thing I can think could have caused it is sleep or lack of it. About one hour less. Could that be the reason? Or could there be something else? BTW after Xmas it got a lot worse. Two weeks with less cycling could be an affect but it's just so severe that two weeks laziness can't be the reason.

Any Internet diagnoses for cycling through treacle?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1976 on: 11 January, 2018, 08:09:52 am »
Start with the known variables: fix your sleeping pattern (if possible) and then see.

---o0o---

Me own curiosity this fair morn* is that I'm bursting with energy such as I have not felt since the days before I was diabetic. Thanks to diet & drugs I usually wake up feeling like shit warmed up on a shovel and have to drag myself round until breakfast kicks in and I begin to rise out of the slough. Last night, however, there being a shitload of little black puddings** left over from New Year and on the point of being chucked out, I said "well, that'd be a shame" and ate most of them (the dogs helped). Later on I felt a bit queasy and bunged in a couple of clementines to cut the fat. This morning I'm bouncing like a Trill budgie***.

Doc'll probably moan about cholesterol and say "don't do it again". :(

* lie
** en masse they do look like that
*** was it Les Dawson who complained "I shoved two pounds into the little bugger and he wouldn't bounce a ruddy inch"?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1977 on: 11 January, 2018, 08:52:57 am »
I had a yawn last night that was so big I couldn't take a breath deep enough to finish it. That was really frustrating. I feel like I'm still getting the last of it out.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

« Reply #1978 on: 11 January, 2018, 10:46:55 am »
Hopefully on the final cold/flu symptoms and my RHR is finally starting to come down (my HR didn't go below 70bpm the other day where it is usually in the low 50s whilst sitting around).

At least it's a good excuse not to go for a run.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1979 on: 11 January, 2018, 11:23:12 pm »
^^^
I had black pudding last night, felt like shit today, but that could have been the overheated hotel room and late night.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

simonp

« Reply #1980 on: 11 January, 2018, 11:24:25 pm »
Anorectal physiology tests tomorrow. That should be fun. No picolax required this time.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1981 on: 11 January, 2018, 11:37:04 pm »
Good luck!
Are they suspecting late-onset Hirschsprung?

simonp

« Reply #1982 on: 12 January, 2018, 12:39:56 am »
Good luck!
Are they suspecting late-onset Hirschsprung?

That's not been suggested. A mucosal slippage is one possibility.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1983 on: 12 January, 2018, 01:32:12 am »
Hope all goes well, anyway!

« Reply #1984 on: 12 January, 2018, 08:07:26 am »
On a similar subject, there's a doctor wanting to shove a camera up my bum next week, I'm a little disappointed to have Moviprep not Picolax, given familiarity with the Picolax brand name, I'll get over it I'm sure. I'm actually thinking I will use the occasion to kick start the shedding of my winter plumage, so may start low calorie intake from Saturday (for a Tuesday appointment)

Reading through the advice, it says avoid foods with fibre for 2 -3 days prior, and lists examples of such food. Wholemeal bread, Fruit. And... yoghurt ????? WTF? I'm thinking they listed it because of a general inability to differentiate between yoghurt and yoghurt with fruit. Anyone think there may be something else to it?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1985 on: 12 January, 2018, 01:33:30 pm »
Having had Moviprep prior to a colonoscopy myself I should say that the lo-res diet is VERY VERY BORING and you will almost die of boredom if not starvation. You'll eat less just because food is not very tempting, but probably won't mount a big energy deficit.
Moviprep was, for me, effective without being to drastic.
Good luck with procedure and weight loss!

ETA Just looked at my weight reports around the time of my colonoscopy (31/10/2013). I might have lost 0.5kg that month so any difference was not very much...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1986 on: 12 January, 2018, 08:14:40 pm »
** tests tomorrow. That should be fun.

Hope you weathered this OK!

simonp

« Reply #1987 on: 12 January, 2018, 08:19:33 pm »
** tests tomorrow. That should be fun.

Hope you weathered this OK!

There are better ways to spend a morning, but it wasn't so bad. No physical issues found, but some dietary changes (more soluble fibre, less insoluble) might help. There are also some exercises to try and adjustments (having a box to place feet on when going to the loo).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1988 on: 12 January, 2018, 08:30:25 pm »
There is a reason I DO NOT WANT the raised toilet seat that the OTs think is a Good Idea...

« Reply #1989 on: 12 January, 2018, 10:36:05 pm »
Reading through the advice, it says avoid foods with fibre for 2 -3 days prior, and lists examples of such food. Wholemeal bread, Fruit. And... yoghurt ????? WTF? I'm thinking they listed it because of a general inability to differentiate between yoghurt and yoghurt with fruit. Anyone think there may be something else to it?

Always wondered about this myself. I had assumed it was because yogurt must result in some sort of chalky residue regardless of fibre content or added fruit etc..

There does seem to be a lot of variation in the prep advice available online from various hospitals and bum doctors, from “no yoghurt” to “no set yoghurt” (because that has fibre added to it) to “no fruit or grain-containing yoghurt”, so I think there is something else to it rather than my imagined chalky stuff.

As an aside, I have noted the last couple of times that senna is no longer on the prep menu. Not much in it but I think the process kicks off less abruptly sans senna.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1990 on: 12 January, 2018, 10:47:13 pm »
Senna's a crap laxative...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1991 on: 13 January, 2018, 10:30:19 am »
Ayrton will haunt you.

« Reply #1992 on: 16 January, 2018, 12:13:00 pm »
Having the snip in a couple of hours...  :o

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1993 on: 16 January, 2018, 12:14:58 pm »
Good luck, mend well!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1994 on: 16 January, 2018, 01:13:58 pm »
There is a reason I DO NOT WANT the raised toilet seat that the OTs think is a Good Idea...
It IS a good idea if the lowness of your toilet makes it difficult for you to get on/off.  We can always give you a bath step to prop your feet on.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1995 on: 16 January, 2018, 01:17:35 pm »
Having the snip in a couple of hours...  :o

Our dogs had that.  Maybe not the same one, though.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1996 on: 16 January, 2018, 01:47:03 pm »
It IS a good idea if the lowness of your toilet makes it difficult for you to get on/off.  We can always give you a bath step to prop your feet on.

More clutter to trip over and fall off: no thanks!

I have had major issues with 'helpful' raised toilets when on holiday.

« Reply #1997 on: 16 January, 2018, 05:13:35 pm »
Good luck, mend well!
Thanks helly, a bit sore but nothing compared to Mrs Legs' travails...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1998 on: 18 January, 2018, 04:58:02 pm »
GP Practices don't make it easy to see a GP do they.....

For the best part of a year (or maybe even two or three, I can't remember not having it...) I've had a scab which hasn't healed in the cartilage on the outer edge of my left ear. 

So I thought it best to get it looked at.

So I popped in to GP to enquire about booking an appointment for the following week at a time outwith working hours (i tend to finish work after 3pm).

No, the Keeper Of The Appointments replied, you can only get an appointment on the same day. So either apply in person when the surgery opens at 8am, or phone from 8:30am when the lines will be engaged, and if there are any appointments free on the same day, then you may be able to get one if the Planets Align....   :facepalm:

I'm sure the wee scabby thing on my ear isn't anything to be concerned about (avoiding googling Basal Cell Carcinoma!), but would rather get it checked out to be on the safe side...  especially since I work outdoors all year round.... 

« Reply #1999 on: 18 January, 2018, 05:28:26 pm »

No, the Keeper Of The Appointments replied, you can only get an appointment on the same day. So either apply in person when the surgery opens at 8am, or phone from 8:30am when the lines will be engaged, and if there are any appointments free on the same day, then you may be able to get one if the Planets Align....   :facepalm:
They are telling you bolloks, Brian. All GP surgeries are obliged to offer electronic facilities to book appointments online, ahead of time. So they can certainly book appointments ahead
<i>Marmite slave</i>