Author Topic: Condor Tempo  (Read 18204 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Condor Tempo
« Reply #50 on: 15 October, 2014, 09:21:08 am »
The Velo Orange bits look classy - where did you source them from?
SG75 cranks and meaty zen chainring are  :P but does SG75 BB have sealing for road use?
Looking forward to seeing the complete bike on the road.

Freshtripe for Velo Orange parts - good service and pretty reasonable prices

Sugino BB - not weather sealed, and it took a lot of deliberation to go that route (other option was a Royce as that has been flawless on my Fratello, but really, really spendy).  Many reports saying that S75 BBs ridden in all weathers, year around and just fine.  Clean and re-grease every 2-3 months in wet conditions (i.e. year around in the UK!) and they will be fine apparently. 

We shall see if I have made an error of judgement.  There are few other options in the right taper and spindle length and I didn't fancy trying to sort out chainline with a slightly wrong spindle.

If it doesn't work out - then I will pony up for a Royce (about £180 though!). 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #51 on: 15 October, 2014, 09:24:03 am »
Rear wheel - Velo Orange Grand Cru fixed/fixed with a H Plus Son TB14 in polished chrome with DT Competition spokes
Front wheel (awaiting spokes) - Shimano Dura Ace 7900 with a H Plus Son TB14 in polished chrome with DT Competition spokes

Looks good! Any more photos of those rims?

They are beautiful and super-retro.  Yet to see if braking performance is the same as old steel rims!

Front wheel should have spokes arriving this week, so try and get it built over the weekend to finish the job.

Still haven't ridden it. 
Right! What's next?

rob

« Reply #52 on: 15 October, 2014, 09:33:27 am »
The Velo Orange bits look classy - where did you source them from?
SG75 cranks and meaty zen chainring are  :P but does SG75 BB have sealing for road use?
Looking forward to seeing the complete bike on the road.

Freshtripe for Velo Orange parts - good service and pretty reasonable prices

Sugino BB - not weather sealed, and it took a lot of deliberation to go that route (other option was a Royce as that has been flawless on my Fratello, but really, really spendy).  Many reports saying that S75 BBs ridden in all weathers, year around and just fine.  Clean and re-grease every 2-3 months in wet conditions (i.e. year around in the UK!) and they will be fine apparently. 

We shall see if I have made an error of judgement.  There are few other options in the right taper and spindle length and I didn't fancy trying to sort out chainline with a slightly wrong spindle.

If it doesn't work out - then I will pony up for a Royce (about £180 though!).

My Sugino BB has gone a bit creaky, but it's done the best part of 2 years without any maintenance.   I'll replace this Winter and might move the drivetrain to stronglight track like I have on the TT bike.

« Reply #53 on: 15 October, 2014, 12:22:11 pm »
Marcus, that's proper gorgeous!
*wibble* indeed
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #54 on: 15 October, 2014, 12:42:06 pm »
Thats not a bike its a work of art!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #55 on: 15 October, 2014, 01:27:26 pm »
Dirty, filthy bike pr0n - I love it  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #56 on: 15 October, 2014, 10:08:55 pm »
Thanks all.

I will get some photos of it at the weekend when it is done, but before it suffers the ignominy of having a rack put on it ready for the commuting tasks it will have to undertake.  Hopefully I should have time to build the front wheel as well, those TB14s with a Dura Ace hub is going to be proper nice.

I will even have to clean the Fratello and get some steamy Condor on Condor shots taken.
Right! What's next?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #57 on: 16 October, 2014, 08:45:35 am »
Shiny!
Getting there...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #58 on: 16 October, 2014, 12:11:09 pm »
Obviously it's not finished as there's no Marmite on display here:

I couldn't resist, so took the saddle off the Pompino and took it for a 10 minute spin around the block.  It's rather more spritely than the Pompino and feels fabulous.

Still to do:

Trim mudguard stays
Trim brake cables and add caps
Bar tape once I am happy with the lever position (black on this bike - another identifier from my Fratello)
Put proper front wheel together

I'll give the Pomp a good clean this weekend and get it on the classifieds.  It's been a great bike and given me the fixed wheel bug, but it is rather unrefined compared to this bike!
Right! What's next?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #59 on: 17 October, 2014, 06:42:51 pm »
Yep - that's a sweet ride.

30km around Richmond Park dodging the rutting deer.

Lovely bike.
Right! What's next?

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #60 on: 17 October, 2014, 10:19:23 pm »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm megatron

« Reply #61 on: 02 July, 2015, 06:54:35 am »
I bought one yesterday in the sale! Can't wait to collect it.

I was a bit shocked by the sizing, I'm 6'2 and have the 61 frame (58tt) which felt good but Is bigger than I thought I'd want.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #62 on: 02 July, 2015, 10:38:59 am »
I reckon that's about right - I'm 6' 1" and have the same size which fits me just fine (as you will read up-thread, I had to argue for this size after being sold the 55cm - my other bike being 61.5cm!?!

« Reply #63 on: 02 July, 2015, 12:30:31 pm »
thanks, i rang them double check this morning and they said it was bang on - and you're sizing sounds like im not going mad too. Excited for tomorrow now and wondering if i am crazy to be considering riding a 100 on it on Sunday...

« Reply #64 on: 02 July, 2015, 01:41:22 pm »
I bought one yesterday in the sale! Can't wait to collect it.

I was a bit shocked by the sizing, I'm 6'2 and have the 61 frame (58tt) which felt good but Is bigger than I thought I'd want.

I'm 6' 1" and road bikes have top tubes of 58.2 (73.5 eat tube angle), 59 (73 st) and 60 (72 st).  Seat tubes are 59 to 61.

« Reply #65 on: 04 July, 2015, 12:54:54 pm »
Interesting, my road bikes have top tubes of 56.5 and 57 I think. Makes me wonder if theyre too small now, don't really feel it though.

So, first ride on the tempo this am. Smooooth, so comfortable and nice to ride. Good stiffness, even out of the saddle I didn't feel any flex. 28mm tyres and a b17 meant I kept checking for flats! Th front end is a lot higher than I'm used to, which has a downside that I feel very high up and an upside that th drops are very accessible in a way that my other bikes are not. It was only. Horst ride 20 miles of so, but averaged 17.5mph so doesn't look like the taller head tube is a problem...

Spd sl were ok too, easy to flop into but when I missed the clip if got harder as the speed went up! No issues though.

First impressions very good indeed, lots of appreciative looks from other rides too.

« Reply #66 on: 28 March, 2016, 09:08:41 pm »
My Condor Tempo used for Audax:

2008 model totally faultless since new still on the original Condor Supremacy Hubs cranks and bottom bracket. Highly recommend to anyone.
Purely ride fixed

« Reply #67 on: 08 April, 2016, 04:37:16 pm »
Nice.

2008 model

Have you checked the length of the seatpost shim? It was too short in the early models leading to cracks on the seat-tube/top-tube/chainstays join.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #68 on: 11 November, 2016, 01:25:24 pm »
if you read this and think, i must have one, then look in the classifieds! :-)