Author Topic: Tricking strava into believing etrex elevation data  (Read 10132 times)

Re: Tricking strava into believing etrex elevation data
« Reply #25 on: 18 May, 2015, 06:14:11 am »
Thanks for this - will mean I won't have to kill myself quite so much next time a climbing challenge comes around.

« Reply #26 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:28:28 am »
Ah, suddenly this thread makes it all fall into place...
I use an oregon 600, some of my riding mates use edges and iPhones. Same ride, different climbing.

I definitely did not have a strop at this when strava chopped a third off my elevation from yesterday's ride and left me with 10m left on the climbing challenge. >:(

I'll do my ten meters tomorrow for the sake of continuity, but after, I'm going to spike Strava into believing my blimmin barometer.  :demon: :demon: :demon:

« Reply #27 on: 18 July, 2015, 10:36:42 pm »
Thank heaven for this thread  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #28 on: 24 April, 2016, 09:31:45 am »
If you do this file edit a lot and are a bit lazy like me, you can use one of these scripts to edit all your Track_* files for you. http://thinks.jamesbradbury.co.uk/script-for-garmin-etrex-30-barometer/

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #29 on: 24 April, 2016, 11:11:16 am »
Interesting.  My gpx files often have "mapsource v6..." as creator, as I trim ends of the file.  If I edit it to "HCx with barometer", the Strava elevation on my commute home changes from 22m to 67m, which seems incorrect - as it's mostly downhill/flat.  Perhaps it's just that my Etrex barometric altm is not calibrated, and Ordnance survey spot heights show Etrex = 10-15m less.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #30 on: 12 November, 2017, 10:08:28 pm »
Anyone now if the etrex fix for strava elevation no longer works? I have got sub etrex climbing figures on a couple of rides recently but didn't think too much of it but rode 130k today and checked the etrex 30 elevation figure and got just over 1600M, did the 'with barometer' thing in the GPX file but only came up with 1350M, usually the uploaded figure is very close to the etrex altimeter figure and very rarely below it.  Of course it's entirely plausible that I've done something wrong on the upload and edit of the GPX file but interested to know if anyone else has experienced this?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 12 November, 2017, 10:10:23 pm »
Delete the ride from Strava and upload it again without the "with barometer" and see if there's a difference?

JonB

« Reply #32 on: 12 November, 2017, 10:20:24 pm »
Delete the ride from Strava and upload it again without the "with barometer" and see if there's a difference?

That's a good plan - the only problem is that there a number of comments etc listed against it and I don't really want to do that at the moment. I'll have a think, I might create a temp account with a different email and then do it ... will report back.

JonB

« Reply #33 on: 13 November, 2017, 08:34:30 am »
Uploaded the file without 'with barometer' and got the same results (1350 M) elevation as the amended file but then I did it again and this time inserted 'with Barometer' and capitalised the B and it worked, giving over 1600 M. So it looks like my slack typing was the problem, my only slight niggle with this is that I'm pretty sure that I've been pretty imprecise with capitalising when I've done it in the past, I have memories of not bothering and it being fine. I could probably find out with a bit of digging around but it's working now so I don't think I'll bother.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #34 on: 13 November, 2017, 09:34:06 am »
James' scripts upthread are all lowercase.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

JonB

« Reply #35 on: 13 November, 2017, 09:40:42 am »
James' scripts upthread are all lowercase.
Interesting, I might have a further play around later and check that it is related to the capitalisation and not some other error I introduced into the insertion process (this is easier to do now that I've set up a separate Strava account)