Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 285561 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I don't think it's been over 20 since the beginning of July. I did think summer was summering this morning but then in the afternoon it rained again, quite coldly.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
It's raining steadily here now, rather than heavily, and we've notched up 5.6mm here so far. It's forecast to carry on for another 6 hours or so.

I haven't needed to water the runner beans fo some days, and some tiny ones are developing now. Quite a few insects in the garden this morning: a few gatekeeper butterflies, a hawker dragonfly doing just that, and assorted hoverflies and other diptera buzzing about, plus a few bumblebees. I didn't see any honeybees this morning, although i have a few times in recent days.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Full Welsh here all day. And, so far, all night.
Are any forecasts predicting a return to high pressure systems?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Raining with varying degrees of commitment for at least eight hours in not-sunny E17.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Wall-to-wall flat grey, everything outdoors is wet.  It's not actually raining but it will if I get the bike out.

Every day through to next Thursday is forecast to be wet.  Friday next week I'm due to have a holter chip shoved into my chest, and for then and the week following the forecast is for warm & dry.  Sod it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
It;s stopped raining (at last), but now the wind is getting a bit frisky. The maximum temp I've seen this month is 22C, but it's hit 20C most days. In between showers.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
The Met Office thinks it ought to be raining here. The weather has other ideas.

I shan't be needing to water my plants today.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Binning down in Leafy Surrey; state of affairs looks to be set to continue for some time.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I did DiY and bike fettling cos it was supposed to rain today. It rained for all of about 2 mins.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Help me!
Where's this storm then?
Loads of things have been needlessly cancelled today, including the Cardigan Show.
We had rain and, I hear, hail overnight.  A bit of drizzle during the day. The nearly cancelled cricket match (complete with band and hog roast) is currently underway - although 20/20 instead of the intended 50 over match,  and the storm winds never materialised.

Same here in that London, just some heavy showers, no wind.

It rained overnight in Liverpool and rained steadily, though not heavily until the early/mid afternoon.   
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
We've had 5.2mm intermittently, starting about 8.30am.

Basil

• Help me!
We had a warning for yellow wind today, later upgraded to orange wind.
Turned out to be a pleasant calm and sunny evening.
Very odd.

I drove north and west for 5 hours today from Essex to Yorkshire and it there was certainly a lot of weather about. Very very wet leaving West Essex and into Cambridgeshire this morning , heavy showers up through Lincolnshire and into West Yorkshire, finally dried up late afternoon as I got to Bradford and beyond.  The wind was blustery but nothing abnormal.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
We got very heavy rain in Suffolk for several hours, and it was still raining - though not heavily - when I went to bed at 11. There was a north-westerly wind but it was not strong. None of the promised thunderstorms.

Weather forecasting appears to have become driven by a desire not to undersell potentially damaging or dangerous weather, so instead the risk is overstated frequently. The result is it’s become less rather than more reliable even though the data is far better now than it was.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
https://www.tickfield.co.uk/weewx/statistics.html

That shows my weather station’s records on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis for 2023.

The maximum wind speed recorded in the past 24 hours was at 3am today - 23kph. For August, the maximum wind speed recorded was 39kph, on 2nd. That would indicate that, for this location at any rate, Storm Antoni was a dampish squib.

Basil

• Help me!
Storm Antoni was a dampish squib.

And not particularly damp either.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
We're finally getting out of the rinse-and-repeat cycle and have a couple of good weeks ahead.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Don't have a weather station but in mid Essex we had a lot of rain yesterday. As in road flooded amount and in the eve was windy enough to notice in bed, although wife's away so wasn't sleeping in ear plugs so noticed all noises more. It's also chilly. 6am dog walk needed more then the light fleece I'd put on.

At least got a few days dry predicted as got a small tent that has been up in the garden for a week and is now on the line drying and can hopefully get up the allotment some evenings and with it having been wet and me having been busy haven't had time for a few weeks and open day next Saturday

Yesterday here in Leafy Bucks we had rain, persistent but not heavy, until about 3pm, then some more after 4. One peal of thunder. Light winds. Today it 14C and breezy. I’m envious of my colleagues getting a week in Minneapolis in the high 20’s Celsius. Makes up for winter in the low 20’s Fahrenheit! 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

There were some heavy showers in London but nothing that couldn’t be countered with the swift application of an umbrella. The doom-laden weather prognostications didn’t come to pass, which given the number of events and other activities cancelled, was - I suspect - annoying for many people. My shoe leaked though and I got a damp toe.

Basil

• Help me!
Blimey. I may have to loosen the top button of my big coat!  8)