Author Topic: Just in case you thought single speed meant less maintenance...  (Read 3883 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Just in case you thought single speed meant less maintenance...
« on: 20 September, 2015, 06:49:37 pm »
I've just had to spend 10 minutes cleaning and lubing the freewheel.

I mean, I've only had the bike six years and I ride it in all weathers ;D

(and, yes, I know if I went fixed I wouldn't have to do it at all!)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Just in case you thought single speed meant less maintenance...
« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2015, 07:41:12 pm »
Sturmey-Archer FTW.  Open one up years later and it's still clean inside!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2015, 08:20:33 pm »
the annoying bit of maintenance with ss bikes is adjusting chain tension every 200-300km. i used to wear out two chains on geared bike and not touch anything else during that time (apart from lubing the chain / pumping tyres)

« Reply #3 on: 04 November, 2015, 10:10:16 pm »
the annoying bit of maintenance with ss bikes is adjusting chain tension every 200-300km. i used to wear out two chains on geared bike and not touch anything else during that time (apart from lubing the chain / pumping tyres)
I doubt that chain tension is that critical with a freewheel, unless, as is my habit, you avoid freewheeling downhill. That's not an option with a fixed wheel.
Meanwhile, one of the advantages of a fixed transmission is that brake usage is reduced & consequently rim life is dramatically improved.
YMMV.

« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2015, 02:00:52 pm »

But you run 3/32" not 1/8" don't you? I can get about 600km out of mine before someone starts making sarky comments.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2015, 02:12:32 pm »
yes, 8sp chain. this makes 20 adjustments throughout the chain's life, could use that time better

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 05 November, 2015, 02:28:28 pm »
yes, 8sp chain. this makes 20 adjustments throughout the chain's life, could use that time better

Freewheel or fixed?  You shouldn't have to adjust it anything like that often with a freewheel.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7 on: 05 November, 2015, 02:53:59 pm »
freewheel, but i like the tension just right. i had a chain jumping off couple of times in the past and once it's resulted a bent (alloy) axle. there's a sweet spot between too tight and too slack and it lasts for 200-300km depending on conditions, before another adjustment.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8 on: 05 November, 2015, 04:39:28 pm »
freewheel, but i like the tension just right. i had a chain jumping off couple of times in the past and once it's resulted a bent (alloy) axle. there's a sweet spot between too tight and too slack and it lasts for 200-300km depending on conditions, before another adjustment.
When I suffered a spate of chain jumping off on my fixer, I finally got round to fitting a new chain ring.  As the unworn teeth were much longer than the stumps of metal on the old ring this improved things no end.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #9 on: 05 November, 2015, 05:10:00 pm »
the chainring teeth weren't worn as far as i could tell, just forgot to check the tension for couple of months. but yes, worn out teeth would definitely drop the chain if it's not super-tight

« Reply #10 on: 05 November, 2015, 09:17:00 pm »

20 times over the life of one chain is a helluva lot of stretch! Presumably what's actually happening is the axle is moving...
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #11 on: 05 November, 2015, 10:08:02 pm »
Either that or chain stays being irreversibly compressed. I think in the average chain like of my single speeds I move it the equivalent of several links

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12 on: 05 November, 2015, 11:38:33 pm »
1% stretch is about a half-link of the chain, so re-adjustment would be needed for every 0.6mm stretch. from what i noticed, the tiniest adjustment of rear axle (fore-aft) affects chain tension substantially.

in fact it would be interesting to do the calculations - how much vertical movement of chain (the whole amplitude) increases by moving rear axle 1mm.

Jakob

« Reply #13 on: 16 December, 2015, 07:01:19 am »
Since I had to replace the broken brake cable, I decided to do the semi-annual maintenance of my fixed gear bike. 5 minutes later and I was done.
Having said that, after having the brake cable going *PING* at a rather critical moment, I will now replace it every two year rather than waiting 8 years for it to break!. (First thing apart from tyres  & brake blocks to get replaced on this bike)

« Reply #14 on: 17 December, 2015, 10:56:51 pm »
the annoying bit of maintenance with ss bikes is adjusting chain tension every 200-300km.

I've fitted a chain from a Honda Fireblade to my fixed - don't have any problems with the chain stretching  ;)
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #15 on: 17 December, 2015, 11:55:31 pm »
^ this post is useless without photos ;)