Author Topic: How to gain experience of riding through the night.......... on a Friday  (Read 33292 times)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
You know that big step where you go from 200k to 300k and then on to 400k and 600k but might be nervous about riding right through the night? This might be a way to introduce yourself to that experience without the pressure of a full-on audax event and in the company of supportive riders.

The Friday Night Ride to the Coast rides start at midnight, usually from Wellington Arch at Hyde Park Corner and go - usually but not always - to the coast where we have breakfast and get the train home (no driving home).

The website tells you just about all you need to know:
http://fridaynightridetothecoast.blogspot.co.uk/p/welcome.html

The group varies between 120 for a Brighton ride in the summer to 60-ish for  other destinations in the colder months. We have a system of waymarkers and "Tail End Charlies" to ensure you won't be left behind and to help with mechanicals. The pace is about 20kph maximum and there are frequent regroups - if you want a full-on fast ride look elsewhere. But it would give would-be audaxers an introduction to the kit needed (lights, clothing, etc) and experience of riding through the night.
I'll try to remember not to forget to put updates here of forthcoming rides but you can ask questions of
fridaynightridetothecoast@gmail.com
or PM me.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: How to gain experience of riding through the night.......... on a Friday
« Reply #1 on: 03 December, 2015, 04:05:31 pm »
I can also recommend the Fridays for that big step of going from 50-60k to 100-120k, for venturing beyond the relative flatlands of That London, or for riding in a big group for the first time.  It's a breeding ground for proto-audaxers who aren't scared of the dark.   :thumbsup:

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #2 on: 03 December, 2015, 04:11:02 pm »
We do Other Stuff: mostly not of interest to audaxers. There's a week touring in Europe each year, a summer weekend touring Essex, trip to Paris via Dieppe, etc. And some times, just occasionally...........
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #3 on: 03 December, 2015, 04:24:59 pm »
I like the sound of this and it is the sort of thing I would like to do, although the location doesn't work well for me. I had a night ride to Weston planned this year, which I was going to lead, but it didn't happen for all sorts of reasons. There was talk of a ride from Birmingham to Barmouth which I don't think happened either. I would love to do one or both of these rides next year.

« Reply #4 on: 03 December, 2015, 04:29:33 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Eddington Number = 132

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #5 on: 03 December, 2015, 04:56:46 pm »
  I would love to do one or both of these rides next year.
Which? there are 14 on the website, involving five countries.

LMT

« Reply #6 on: 03 December, 2015, 05:26:10 pm »
IMO and IME whilst these rides are very good, they have over the last couple of years attracted a lesser calibre of rider. By this I mean:-

i) The amount of times I've been, and have seen undertaking by other cyclists.

ii) The need to bring a Dinotte specced light to a group ride and have it on it's highest setting.

iii) The amount of 'dork discs/dinner plates', helmet wearers and hi-vis that I've seen on rides in the last couple of years has risen exponentially.

iv) The need for assistance to change an innertube.

Like I said, they are good rides, but if you are a serious cyclist get ready to do a lot of head shaking and chin stroking.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7 on: 03 December, 2015, 05:31:30 pm »
IMO and IME whilst these rides are very good, they have over the last couple of years attracted a lesser calibre of rider. By this I mean:-

ii) The need to bring a Dinotte specced light to a group ride and have it on it's highest setting.

iii) The amount of 'dork discs/dinner plates', helmet wearers and hi-vis that I've seen on rides in the last couple of years has risen exponentially.

Like I said, they are good rides, but if you are a serious cyclist get ready to do a lot of head shaking and chin stroking.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Or the other way to look at it, with dork discs and all that is not to shake your head, but to applaud, educate and encourage these lesser calibre newer riders as they mostly likely undertake some of the longest rides they have ever done, and at night. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 03 December, 2015, 05:37:02 pm »
Corollary to that: Far fewer hybrid/city bikes, flat pedals, regular clothes, rucksacks, etc.

It's great to see newbies (and I'll forgive the non-serious rookie errors - I certainly don't give a stuff about dork discs or helmets), but the flavour of newbie seems to have changed somewhat.  Not sure if that's a function of who the rides are attracting as they've become more organised, or a shift in the habits of the small-c cyclist population in general.

« Reply #9 on: 03 December, 2015, 05:53:58 pm »
I think Kim sums it up well: there are a lot of newer riders and the nature of the newer riders has changed (and ridiculously bright lights have become more readily available and flashier). 
And Martin's point certainly holds. My first few night rides were on FNRttCs and it was great preparation. It gave me lots of confidence when I went on to do harder night rides afterwards. 
I don't do many of them nowadays as they tend to wipe you out for the weekend and get in the way of other cycling plans but I like to do the odd one, and enjoy encouraging and helping newer riders when I can.

« Reply #10 on: 03 December, 2015, 05:58:25 pm »
Corollary to that: Far fewer hybrid/city bikes, flat pedals, regular clothes,

Andrew Homerski seemed to saunter to Brest and back this summer on a hybred bike with flat pedals, and not much attention apart from a few interested glances at the carpet on the pedals.
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

« Reply #11 on: 05 December, 2015, 11:15:01 am »
I've not done one for a while, partly because as Frank says, it messes up the weekend, and partly because I found the pace frustrating.
Maybe it has changed now but there used to be a huge disparity in speed between fastest & slowest riders, and the re-groups could be a tedious wait, even for someone who is a relatively full value audaxer.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 05 December, 2015, 11:26:15 am »
Ok, I'm trying to stay out of this dissing trollmanship, but what is a dork disc?

Corollary to that: Far fewer hybrid/city bikes, flat pedals, regular clothes,

Andrew Homerski seemed to saunter to Brest and back this summer on a hybred bike with flat pedals, and not much attention apart from a few interested glances at the carpet on the pedals.
What a brilliant idea! Normal rubber/plastic-soled shoes can slip on metal pedals in the wet, carpet would provide a firmer surface. The trouble is going to be gluing it on to a relatively narrow, shiny metal surface and how to stop it going hideously manky when it gets wet.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #13 on: 05 December, 2015, 11:28:11 am »
Maybe it has changed now but there used to be a huge disparity in speed between fastest & slowest riders
Nope, it hasn't changed at all. What's more, the club ethos is to be a broad church, and it takes pride in including each end of the speed spectrum. The website advises wearing warm clothing if you are a faster rider so you keep warm at the regroups. So it probably isn't going to change either.
But remains a good introduction to riding overnight.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #14 on: 05 December, 2015, 11:31:36 am »
Ok, I'm trying to stay out of this dissing trollmanship

Very wise

what is a dork disc?

It's the clear plastic disc between the largest sprocket on your cassette and the spokes - designed to stop less mechanically minded riders being able to shift  the rear mech into the spokes.

Right! What's next?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 05 December, 2015, 11:41:04 am »
Ah, that thing! They are ugly but seeing as every new bike comes with them, hardly a sign of anything other than having a bike less than one cassette's worth of riding old. Possibly even a sign of good cassette and chain maintenance...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 05 December, 2015, 11:48:37 am »
I've not done one for a while, partly because as Frank says, it messes up the weekend, and partly because I found the pace frustrating.
Maybe it has changed now but there used to be a huge disparity in speed between fastest & slowest riders, and the re-groups could be a tedious wait, even for someone who is a relatively full value audaxer.

The solution there is to ride closer to the group's average speed, perhaps by volunteering to TEC.

I don't mind waiting for slower riders, but it's the nature of the beast that - other than immediately after the major climbs - you've no idea whether a stop is going to be for 30 seconds (traffic lights) or 15 minutes (fiddly mechanical).  I find that hard from a temperature-regulation perspective when it's cold, as adding and removing layers takes time.  So I ride further back in the group, and spend less time stopped.

If it's a warm night I don't mind going a bit harder and inevitably hanging around or doing a bit of waymarking.

While the duration of the ride, and pace of the slower riders doesn't seem to have changed much, I can't help feeling that the front of the group has got faster over the years, with more deliberate effort to reign it in and keep the group together in urban areas.  But maybe that's just because I'm faster and seeing more of it.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #17 on: 05 December, 2015, 11:53:21 am »
Ah, that thing! They are ugly but seeing as every new bike comes with them, hardly a sign of anything other than having a bike less than one cassette's worth of riding old. Possibly even a sign of good cassette and chain maintenance...

People get really wound up by them (as evidenced by the earlier rant).

As you say, it's just a sign of a new bike.  I am now commuting on a new bike which has one (having £250 of saddle and seatpost nicked made me reconsider the sense of commuting on a Condor, so I bought a bike that didn't cost ever so much more than that!), it doesn't offend me and I suspect it will stay on there until I need a new cassette (which being 8 speed possibly means I will have retired before that is needed). 

More bums on saddles is fine by me. 
Right! What's next?

« Reply #18 on: 05 December, 2015, 05:13:49 pm »
Maybe it has changed now but there used to be a huge disparity in speed between fastest & slowest riders
Nope, it hasn't changed at all. What's more, the club ethos is to be a broad church, and it takes pride in including each end of the speed spectrum. The website advises wearing warm clothing if you are a faster rider so you keep warm at the regroups. So it probably isn't going to change either.
But remains a good introduction to riding overnight.

Can't argue with that.

The solution there is to ride closer to the group's average speed, perhaps by volunteering to TEC.

I did TEC a couple of times, but found it excruciatingly slow - and, as I said, I was definitely at the 'full-value' end of the AUK spectrum back then. **
If it wasn't too cold I preferred waymarking and then I could ride at a more natural pace back up through the field.
Trouble was I'd get to the front - and it would be time for a regroup.

** only very slightly faster now.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 05 December, 2015, 05:15:29 pm »
I did TEC a couple of times, but found it excruciatingly slow - and, as I said, I was definitely at the 'full-value' end of the AUK spectrum back then. **
If it wasn't too cold I preferred waymarking and then I could ride at a more natural pace back up through the field.
Trouble was I'd get to the front - and it would be time for a regroup.

You obviously need a slower bike :)

« Reply #20 on: 05 December, 2015, 06:12:59 pm »
You obviously need a slower bike :)

Or a lot more patience  :facepalm:

what I did, was to get a faster bike and start to work my way up through the distances.

« Reply #21 on: 05 December, 2015, 07:10:35 pm »
Nowadays, I always go on my slowest bike and try to avoid rushing.  When there is a risk of a long stop, I just ride back the way we came to keep warm and then roll back in with the TECs.  I invariably get to the front now and again and do the odd turn of waymarking.  But there's usually lots of people to chat to when riding along which, nowadays, is the highlight for me. 

It was very different on my first ride to Brighton on a wet and windy night in March 2010!  Then it was just about the longest ride I'd done, I didn't know anybody, and I got a real sense of achievement from the cycling and a high from completing my first ever night ride.  I enjoy doing the rides nowadays partly to help others to have the experience I had and, thereby to groom them into the joys of sleepless nights on a bike!

« Reply #22 on: 06 December, 2015, 02:46:44 pm »

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

As a regular FNRttCer, I do not recognise this description! All are true of charity night rights, though. But those could not be more different from the FNRttC!

1. On an FNRttC, undertaking gets you a stern warning. Re-offending gets you banned from future rides.

2. I'd say about 40% wear helmets (probably to keep their Buffs in place, mostly). Percentage of high-viz wearers is much lower.

3. There may be a smidgeon of truth in the comment about bright lights, but then... it's a nightride. There are fast descents. And potholes. On the either, bright rear lights aimed in the direction of other riders' (including 'bent riders) will earn you a reprimand and stern order to switch to steady or pulse... or stash it and borrow one with fewer lumens.

4. Tail End Charlies serve their purpose. We're an inclusive group: not everyone wants to fix their own puncture, especially the newcomer riding more than 25 miles for the first time! And we do have a timetable to keep to, since the hosts of the halfway stop and breakfast have been given ETAs.
Rebecca

2013 custom Enigma Etape
2010 Surly Cross Check
1978 Puch Princess mixte
2012 bespoke Brompton S8L

velovoice.blogspot.co.uk/
@velovoice

LMT

« Reply #23 on: 06 December, 2015, 03:40:49 pm »

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

As a regular FNRttCer, I do not recognise this description! All are true of charity night rights, though. But those could not be more different from the FNRttC!

1. On an FNRttC, undertaking gets you a stern warning. Re-offending gets you banned from future rides.

2. I'd say about 40% wear helmets (probably to keep their Buffs in place, mostly). Percentage of high-viz wearers is much lower.

3. There may be a smidgeon of truth in the comment about bright lights, but then... it's a nightride. There are fast descents. And potholes. On the either, bright rear lights aimed in the direction of other riders' (including 'bent riders) will earn you a reprimand and stern order to switch to steady or pulse... or stash it and borrow one with fewer lumens.

4. Tail End Charlies serve their purpose. We're an inclusive group: not everyone wants to fix their own puncture, especially the newcomer riding more than 25 miles for the first time! And we do have a timetable to keep to, since the hosts of the halfway stop and breakfast have been given ETAs.

I think we going to have to agree to disagree, however your point about someone not wanting to fix thier own puncture speaks volumes about the calibre of some of the riders that you get on these rides. To get a puncture and then not want to fix said puncture is taking the piss. And I recall giving advice to a TEC when changing a tube, this advice was ignored and then a couple of miles down the road the tyre blew of the rim. After a botch job had been carried out (which as a result had me waymarking a junction for 20 minutes) attempts to reconcile my advice to what consquently happened was met with a barrage of abuse and a threat to kick me off my bike - nice one. ::-)

One time upon leaving HPC I recall asking the ride principle 'how's it going' to be met with a blank stare and something muttered along the lines of '...some people are just needy...' probably the result of dealing with yet another e-mail earlier on in the day asking such questions as ''It's cold, shall I wear a hat?'' and ''I'm worried if I pump my tyres up to the correct pressure I'll get a sore backside - please advise.''

Good luck with the 2016 calender though. I may come along for the odd burn in the Summer.

And contrary to earlier posts, my first post was not a rant, merely a warning of what to expect.

« Reply #24 on: 06 December, 2015, 03:49:13 pm »
Are you serious LMT?
Or just trolling?
Pleased explain what you think  'The Calibre' of some riders has got to do with it, when there are clearly individuals present who have volunteered to mend the punctures and mechanicals of others.

One time upon leaving HPC I recall asking the ride principle 'how's it going' to be met with a blank stare and something muttered along the lines of '...some people are just needy...' probably the result of dealing with yet another e-mail earlier on in the day asking such questions as ''It's cold, shall I wear a hat?'' and ''I'm worried if I pump my tyres up to the correct pressure I'll get a sore backside - please advise.''

Good luck with the 2016 calender though. I may come along for the odd burn in the Summer.

And contrary to earlier posts, my first post was not a rant, merely a warning of what to expect.

That's uncommonly perceptive of you, LMT.