Author Topic: New Recumbent Trike Rider  (Read 2749 times)

New Recumbent Trike Rider
« on: 28 March, 2016, 09:54:18 pm »
Had my trike for a few weeks now
Is a custom made frame with iCE components
It spent the last year laid up in a barn so have had to sort a few small probs
Tubes , chain pulleys,cables and stuff,
Bought it after breaking my collarbone in feb
Am wondering why I ever loved those uncomfortable two wheeled contraptions
Need to build up a bit more speed before I do my first 3 wheel audax
Pic 1 from the ebay add
Pic 2 how I found it
Pic 3 First ride

Re: New Recumbent Trike Rider
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2016, 03:25:54 am »
Looks very nice enjoy

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2016, 06:57:15 am »
 :thumbsup:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2016, 07:08:04 am »
Hi
I too am new(ish) to recumbent trikes.  Changing the tyres made a big  difference but I do notice the loss in speed at the moment.  Made more complicated by a totally detrained state (hospital keeps butting into my life).  Increased comfort is outstanding, I get off the bike after a ride and feel like I did to start with although I do notice the lack of a head rest if fully reclined (it is on the way).  L
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #4 on: 12 October, 2016, 11:32:43 pm »
Hi I too am new to bent trikes. I've had my Trice QNT about 5 months and participated in my first ever audax. The tasty cheddar a 100K audax. Definitely a challenge but I was impressed that I managed to complete all of the climbs. However my climbing speed is certainly lower than the speed I could maintain on a standard road bike. I'm determined to work on my cadence endurance on a tturbo trainer so I can increase my speed and endurance.

ElyDave

« Reply #5 on: 13 October, 2016, 07:16:40 am »
Hi I too am new to bent trikes. I've had my Trice QNT about 5 months and participated in my first ever audax. The tasty cheddar a 100K audax. Definitely a challenge but I was impressed that I managed to complete all of the climbs. However my climbing speed is certainly lower than the speed I could maintain on a standard road bike. I'm determined to work on my cadence endurance on a tturbo trainer so I can increase my speed and endurance.

But I bet you shifted on the downs?

I did my first audax on the M5 M-Races two wheeler a few weeks back.  I surprised a lot of riders with my downhill acceleration

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 13 October, 2016, 12:40:15 pm »
I find it's a lot harder to achieve Ludicrous Speed decending on an ICE trike than a functionally equivalent two-wheeler.  Partly because of the rolling resistance and aerodynamic penalty of the extra wheel, partly because when you've got three wheeltracks to worry about there isn't always a debris/pothole-free route, but mostly because I'm a complete chicken when it comes to cornering at speed on a trike.

I assume a QNT is less stable in corners than a Sprint, on account of the narrower track width.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7 on: 13 October, 2016, 01:30:03 pm »
My husband rolled a QNT but I have never rolled a Sprint or Q

(Anecdata)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

ElyDave

« Reply #8 on: 13 October, 2016, 03:41:38 pm »
My husband rolled a QNT but I have never rolled a Sprint or Q

(Anecdata)

I've never rolled my M5, luckily.

Although I have almost taken off

« Reply #9 on: 13 October, 2016, 08:27:38 pm »
I once rolled my old anthrotech trike into a hedge due to overloading one pannier with bottles of real ale  :-[ . I also nearly rolled my qnt trice on a fast corner  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 13 October, 2016, 08:43:23 pm »
I've rolled the Sprint, but that's because a bunch of YACFers lead me astray down an inappropriate Sustrans route.

« Reply #11 on: 14 October, 2016, 07:45:19 am »
Excuses, excuses  ;)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #12 on: 15 October, 2016, 08:50:52 pm »
Aren't you meant to avoid rolling by having tyres that slide earlier (like you can do with a classic sidecar outfit; sliding adds to the interest of driving - and in my case has the following car drivers wetting themselves when it's icy)?

ElyDave

« Reply #13 on: 15 October, 2016, 09:06:56 pm »
I used to do that with my old Volvo rear wheel drive estate, stiff suspension and you could get it to go round roundabouts sideways