Author Topic: What counts as valid reason to return a tent?  (Read 3733 times)

What counts as valid reason to return a tent?
« on: 20 July, 2016, 09:15:46 pm »
A new tent got damaged in the first week of use. Pole just snapped at the join between segments (outer of one section broke away allowing the pin on the other to come out). This caused two holes in the pole sleeve where it failed. A strap pulled out of where it was stitched into the tent.

We were impressed with the design, shape, size and weight. The stitching wasn't that good with loose threads on a lot of seams. This is simply poor attention to detail from the machinist, not likely to inspire confidence in the product but cosmetic issue only.

So the question: is the snapped pole considered a fault that should allow for a refund? I think there is enough wrong to trigger consumer rights to ensure the retailer puts the tent back into serviceable condition. Also there is damage due to pole failure in the fly leaving very little not requiring replacement. Almost a new tent needs replacing.

We want rid of the tent due to no confidence in its quality. We are hoping to get our money back. Is this a valid resolution to ask for?

Apart from the failed pole, damaged flysheet there's damaged strap on the inner and almost all the pegs have bent. Wild country produce tent pegs that bend too easily. Seriously we fortunately had some very cheap steel pegs that I thought weren't strong enough but they went into the ground where the wild country pegs just bent. Some have bent then bent again like there were weaknesses in two sections of the pegs. They were alloy v pegs.

Should I insist on refund?

I am really not happy about this tent. It's annoyed me so much that no matter what the retailer does I'm writing to wild country to express my complete disappointment in the tent. That's without wanting or expecting any outcome. Daft I know but people who should complain when things are so poor.

What's your opinion?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What counts as valid reason to return a tent?
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2016, 09:23:17 pm »
Pole failure in the first week of use sounds like a manufacturing defect, unless you were using it in especially high winds or allowing drunk people to trip over it or something.  Same probably goes for the strap pulling out.  I'd expect them to replace/repair it to as-new condition.  Not sure you're entitled to a refund, though the retailer may agree to it if you buy some other tent as a replacement.

Bendy alloy pegs are an occupational hazard with lightweight tents, though I'd only expect that much bendage in really firm ground.

« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2016, 09:43:22 pm »
Sounds not fit for purpose.   I haven't checked on the consumer regs recently but i would be demanding a refund and say clearly that you have no confidence in the quality of the manufacture given the failure and collateral damage caused.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2016, 10:05:09 pm »
'Midge Netting' that doesn't stop midges would justify a refund IMO

« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2016, 11:11:36 pm »
Winds were strong one night but well within.the realms of 3 season use. It failed on a still evening without wind but it was wet. No drunks or similar around to cause the failure.

It was the last one in stock and I believe the comp had none in stock. It's a well known chain but operating under the name of a multi site retailer they took over. The websites of both names had none of these in stock. I suspect they might struggle to replace it since I don't think they deal with the brand these days.

I think this is in my favour to get a refund, but I believe it's still worthy of a refund. You need to trust your tent will survive the reasonable use you.intend to put it through. I have no trust in this model tent and not sure if the brand is any good these days. I've had cheap Vango tents with a better quality IMHO.

Tent pegs should not bend in soil. Anyone know Nevis camp site? Well the soil in there bent the pegs. I've used cheapo steel pegs from trespass or similar low end outdoor shop without them bending. I've used similar alloy v pegs from other brands in rockier ground without much bending. Seriously these pegs are in another league of awfulness. I've never seen pegs bend like they did. Some are bent into a circle or P shape. It takes something wrong to get that. Whether they've chosen the wrong alloy, they were made with the wrong alloy by mistake or something else I don't know.

How do you define as not fit for purpose? Pegs not strong enough? Pole that falled without a good reason (misuse or accident)? Or perhaps straps that are stitched in with about 3mm length inside the stitch that failed?

What counts as valid reason to return a tent?
« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2016, 07:45:17 am »
Sounds disastrous and I hope you get some recompense.

I understand your candidness, but what tent was it? If the company sorts things out for you fairly it could be worth letting on who they are too. Retailers have really improved in the last 3 years.

FWIW I buy cheapish tents and use the supplied pegs in the veg and fruit garden and buy a handful of 'Y' pegs which I prefer to 'v' pegs. I used to think that if I got 5 years out of a tent that was good, but in practice it's more like 10. Better manufacturing techniques and competition?

Good luck.

« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2016, 08:21:49 am »
Bending pegs is rather easier than I always feel that it should be.   

If by he Nevis campsite you mean the site at Fort William, I managed to fatally bend a Hilleberg Y peg there.   Mostly soft but occasional rocks.   I recall the trip only too well because I broke a camera lens there too but that's another story.   :facepalm:

« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2016, 08:37:36 am »
I tried another type of peg in one spot and no problem. I then took it out and replaced with the pegs that came with the tent and it bent. Same place, the hole was already started by a candy cane peg made of alloy (vango supplied peg) but it still bent! Seriously, these pegs are as much use as a chocolate fire guard. Reminds me of the terra nova laser tent that got supplied with 1 or 2g tent pegs to break the record for lightest 2 skin tent. Those pegs were widely considered unusable in all but perfect conditions that rarely exist outside of manufacturer's tent pitching videos. Still they saved the few grams that got it the Guinness world record. Same company, different brand with these pegs so there's form in dodgy pegs.

« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2016, 08:38:35 am »
Have you contacted the retailer?
What make and model is it?
Was it in a sale?

« Reply #9 on: 21 July, 2016, 09:29:58 am »
You are well within your rights to get a refund on the bad stitching without the other things. My wife did on one of her lightweight tents.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #10 on: 21 July, 2016, 01:13:55 pm »
It was at a much reduced price which made what on paper was a good tent for us seem especially good. It was on our shortlist and TBH it was this or one other tent. In the end this was slightly heavier but significantly bigger where we wanted it to be. Price was only partly the tipping point to choose it.

Retailer is part of the Blacks group and we're taking it back. A bit difficult to say the exact retailer since the name above the door is partly being assimilated by Blacks. It has one retailer name but the store staff play a big deal on being blacks. They use the name Blacks at then the old retailer's name.

Overall the tent was great just not good quality or fit for use. The design, shape and size were very much fit for purpose it's just the implementation of that design that was not fit for purpose. That's my grounds for a refund I think.

« Reply #11 on: 21 July, 2016, 01:28:42 pm »
When we had a problem with a Blacks tent in the first year, they replaced it instantly with no problem at all - mind you, they have had some changes since then. I would certainly return it.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #12 on: 21 July, 2016, 03:00:34 pm »
I once got told by someone in the trade (manufacturer iirc) that larger companies factor in the cost of returns versus cost to get it right, first time, every time. This usually results in them factoring in a certain number of returns. Smaller companies cannot afford lots of rejections and are more likely to repair or even contest the rejection. Larger brands just accept it and replace/refund. Indeed they've costed it into the price of each rucksack/tent/sleeping bag.

« Reply #13 on: 21 July, 2016, 03:28:52 pm »
When we had a problem with a Blacks tent in the first year, they replaced it instantly with no problem at all - mind you, they have had some changes since then. I would certainly return it.

Black now appear to be part of the JD Sports empire.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)