Author Topic: Tilley lamps  (Read 6266 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Tilley lamps
« Reply #25 on: 19 October, 2016, 02:31:38 pm »
A Tilley in lieu of a campfire makes sense, certainly.  That's not really a lighting thing, though.

« Reply #26 on: 19 October, 2016, 07:11:22 pm »
Point of order: Your LED won't run out, because, in the interests of Being Prepared you will have done the maths[1].
Once you include the fudge factor for Scouts leaving all the available lights on from 3 hours before sundown, and not turning them off at the end of the evening, the carefully-calculated burn time goes rather out of the window though...

« Reply #27 on: 19 October, 2016, 10:46:47 pm »
I'd have thought the fudge factor was simply to calculate consumption on the basis of them being on 24/7, and accept anything less as a bonus. After all, who are you to suggest that the interior of a storage bag or an unoccupied tent doesn't need to be illuminated?

« Reply #28 on: 19 October, 2016, 10:49:55 pm »
Fair point. So the maths is all about how many spare lights I have squirrelled away where they won't be found until I reveal them ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 20 October, 2016, 12:01:26 am »
Strikes me that illuminating the interior of a storage bag with a Tilley lamp is a self-solving problem...   ;D

(There's a lot to be said for a torch - or indeed battery bike light - with some sort of molly-guard functionality[1] on the on switch.  It doesn't happen often, but you can guarantee it'll switch itself on at the least helpful time.)

[1] IME "Hold down for 1 second" barely qualifies.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #30 on: 20 October, 2016, 12:11:28 am »
Ibelieve there to be adapters so that you can use your Tilley lamp to boil kettles and the like.

I have a brace of Tilleys hanging in the garage. One I bought second hand, the other my brother bought new when we used to go night fishing. That one must be nearly 50 years old now.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #31 on: 23 November, 2016, 07:35:28 pm »
Tilley lamp instead of a campfire is all well and good but can you toast Tunnock's tea cakes on one?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #32 on: 23 November, 2016, 10:01:28 pm »
Probably (the top gets pretty hot) but they'd taste of paraffin...

« Reply #33 on: 23 November, 2016, 10:52:09 pm »
Tilley lamp instead of a campfire is all well and good but can you toast Tunnock's tea cakes on one?

Wouldn't they be inclined to melt rather than toast?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #34 on: 23 November, 2016, 11:02:16 pm »
Haven't tried – yet. Have been told they are a Thing.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #35 on: 13 February, 2017, 01:58:57 pm »
You can run Primus stoves on white spirit, and so, I presume tilley lamps, which is readily available .