Author Topic: PBP GPX files for TACX trainer (yes, a segment simulator)  (Read 2919 times)

PBP GPX files for TACX trainer (yes, a segment simulator)
« on: 17 June, 2019, 06:49:17 am »
G’day all,

My first post is a technical question...
I have a TACX NEO, the PBP GPX files, and an account with TACX Cloud that should let me upload the GPX files to make routes to ride (simulation of some of the climbing).

But—the files don’t load.

Any ideas?

Dave Riddel
New Audax rider
Australia

Re: PBP GPX files for TACX trainer (yes, a segment simulator)
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2019, 11:31:40 am »

« Reply #2 on: 17 June, 2019, 11:45:03 am »
The way the weather is shaping up in Northern Europe, you'd be well advised to simulate rain as part of your training.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2019, 01:19:31 pm »
And don't cheat, our rain is cold  :P

The headwind will also be difficult to simulate.

« Reply #4 on: 17 June, 2019, 04:24:24 pm »
Why? Just go outside and ride your bike for f**k sake! !!!!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 17 June, 2019, 05:05:04 pm »
Why? Just go outside and ride your bike for f**k sake! !!!!

Because that isn't always an option.

Where I am, I'd have to do about half an hour to get outside of the city to roads worth cycling on, then they are dead flat. I'd have to do the same half hour to get back, so that's an hour before I've really started my ride. If I want to take in a single hill, it's a 53km round trip.

The OP is in the southern hemisphere, so it's winter there at the moment, not ideal cycling weather. Maybe they too would have to spend too much time getting out the city to where they can cycle? Maybe they just want to see what it is they have signed up for. Maybe it's pan flat, or steep mountains there. Maybe they don't want to ride at the moment as they would spend the whole time dodging dive bombing birds (real issue in WA).

In short, why don't you either post constructive stuff, or shut the fuck up. People have their reasons for asking questions, even if they might not make sense to you. This is the OP's first post, and being told to just ride their fucking bike, is quite frankly, unwelcoming bullshit.

So, to our new Aussie forumite, I can't offer you any help with your tacx trainer as I don't have one, but welcome to the forum, and I hope you can get some useful answers to your questions. We're pretty friendly round here, honest.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Phil W

« Reply #6 on: 17 June, 2019, 07:23:04 pm »
The GPX files need to contain tracks with elevation data from memory.  Routes won't cut it, neither will tracks without elevation data.  I have no idea about the state of the PBP files you have.

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2019, 07:37:41 pm »
If the GPX format turns out to be the problem, I've a fairly complete GPX  (track) from PBP 2015 if that's any use, complete with ascent data.

Don't worry about Postie - he's an outdoor-only kinda guy :). Welcome to YACF.

« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2019, 07:42:48 pm »
Strangely, riding indoors is the only option for a lot of PBP aspirants. It's too hot in many places to train up to August. That was especially marked in 2007, when the jet stream was over the UK, but Southern Europe was hot. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6911918.stm

The weather pattern in the UK is shaping up like 2007, although it's too early to call. I remember talking to Australians who had never ridden in rain prior to PBP 2007.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #9 on: 17 June, 2019, 09:46:04 pm »
If you export the RWGPS route from here as GPX, that does contain the elevation data — https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29026813

At some point soon I'll slice'n'dice into various combinations of stages for ease-of-use.  Just waiting for any final changes to become apparent from the organisers.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #10 on: 17 June, 2019, 11:26:22 pm »
And don't cheat, our rain is cold  :P

Dave appears to have a nice 600 scheduled at Parkes NSW (360km west of Sydney) this weekend , forecast temp -2 (-6 apparent) to max 10 (6 apparent), with showers much of both days, nice, ps this ride , like most now in Australia, is unsupported with some of the gaps between any civilisation being 70+km especially on Sunday, (and "the" shop in most towns will likely be closed),  good luck Dave

Central West Slopes and Plains
Two loops from Parkes, 348km and 266km. Long distances without services. Take sufficient food and water for around 100km. Shops and services in country towns may be closed outside normal business times - be prepared!
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26887501

« Reply #11 on: 19 June, 2019, 05:39:21 am »
Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Yes, the PBP GPX files I have from RWGPS do have elevation data.

I’ve asked Tacx Support to see what the issue is.

Yes, my 3rd 600BRM (3800vm) for the season planned this weekend, with the fourth (4700vm) three weeks later, but I’m feeling underdone for climbing.  I should complete four Super Randonneurs before PBP.