Author Topic: Which helmet cam….  (Read 1643 times)

essexian

Which helmet cam….
« on: 20 July, 2015, 11:37:14 am »
Sorry, but not sure where to put this so apologies if it’s in the wrong place and sorry if it’s been covered before: I couldn’t find the thread if it has. Feel free to move it if required.

Anyway, in line with our normal practice, I have just spent a couple of hundred on a present for CBH, so I am allowed to spend the same on myself. (Yes, it’s just the way we work and its worked for 27 years so who am I to change it!). So, for no better reason that I have enough bikes…...... And loads of spares etc, I thought I might spend some money on a helmet cam….well that way I can bore her with the magnificence of my rides……

So, I am looking for a decent camera which will fit onto my h*lm*t and not make me look like a twat. If would prefer it to have a Wi-Fi connection and built in GPS.  So it seems that this meets my requirement:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EQ36ZY2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437388346&sr=8-2&keywords=garmin+virb

Before I press the buy button….not with the non-tax paying gits that are Amazon…. Can anyone suggest a different camera, preferably less than £200. 

Si_Co

Re: Which helmet cam….
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2015, 12:01:14 pm »
I have one of them, very happy with it BUT there's no way I can mount it on my helmet, way too heavy IMHO.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2015, 02:16:58 pm »
I have a Virb Elite.... It was well under £200 on Amazon on a special offer, I'm really pleased with it it works really well and I don't actually find it hat heavy

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2015, 02:38:10 pm »
I have a Virb Elite.... It was well under £200 on Amazon on a special offer, I'm really pleased with it it works really well and I don't actually find it hat heavy

Nice slip!

« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2015, 05:49:58 pm »
Dunno whether this is the same, Sportpursuit are doing it for £90 from £250

http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/604759

If you aren't yet a Sportpoursuit member, you should either use a code from a mate who is a member to join up, or here's mine http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/hamilton_095cea - whoever's you use they get credit if you order, no downside.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #5 on: 20 July, 2015, 06:42:23 pm »

Nice slip!

lol well spotted

« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2015, 09:55:12 pm »
What for?  If you want to make movies I don't thinkyou can't beat a GoPro for quality.  My cameraman neighbour has just had a new one bought for him bought for him by the Beeb!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2015, 10:23:39 pm »
Yes, I'd look at a GoPro. They are good quality, plus loads of mounts and other accessories available.
None of them have GPS built in, but you can use a separate GPS device to record a track, then combine that with the video afterwards. ie to add overlays for speed or maps etc.

They are a bit heavy and bulky for on a helmet. But you can reduce this a bit, depends on what sort of mount you use. If you don't need it to be waterproof, then the 'Frame' is a lot lighter and slimmer than the standard housing.
Or try some sort of handlebar mount or chest mount.

The new Hero 4 Session looks good. Its a lot smaller and lighter than the other models. Though currently rather expensive, and it seems not quite as good video quality, plus the battery is not replaceable.

« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2015, 10:59:59 am »
I'd also look at the SJcam camera range. I bought a very cheap SJ4000 copy and have been quite impressed. The sj4000 is reviewed against the budget GoPro here: Review.

Look at the newer SJ5000+ - incredible spec for around £100!

I don't think the SJcams do GPSified versions, but probably will soon if that's the way things are heading.

WillC Occasionally OTP, uses the Virb (which has GPS built in) and used it both bar mounted and hand-held on our ride on Sunday:D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...