Author Topic: weather-resistant compact camera?  (Read 2922 times)

weather-resistant compact camera?
« on: 12 January, 2016, 11:56:22 am »
Like loads of people, I use my phone for snaps.

But there are times when not only would I like a better lens, but weather-proofing would be nice. Like when I was paddling down the flooded Ouse. Lots of interesting shots, passing under bridges with little headroom, electric mains lines just sticking out of the water, etc. But no way was I going to take my expensive-non-waterproof phone and fiddle about - if something happened I couldn't just drop it in the bottom of the canoe.

The solution would be a water-resistant compact. I could save for one, maybe (although I'm probably dreaming).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: weather-resistant compact camera?
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2016, 12:00:07 pm »
We got an Olympus Tough 4 (for a special trip abroad, and now it works as a general purpose go anywhere camera). Not cheap but resistant to the elements. I chose it as most of the reviews/comment pointed towards it.

It is simpler than it looks.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2016, 12:55:24 pm »
After killing a couple of camera-phones with wet commutes, I bought a waterproof phone. As I'm not a photographer and only do snaps, it's perfect. A Sony something with a 13mega-pixel camera. It's not one of the fully-ruggedised phones so won't stand being run over by a JCB but it does have the benefit of being cheap (as these things go) - around £150 IIRC.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2016, 01:10:16 pm »
Have had good results with a Panasonic FT-3 but it's a bit long in the tooth now.  I've read good things about the Oly Tough 4 but bear in mind that all these toughened cameras compromise between image quality, weather resistance and ease of use.  I've had lots of good shots, as I said, but my non-waterproof Sony RX100 blows them away.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2016, 01:37:05 pm »
We have a Canon D10. No longer made but available on eBay for silly prices so I am given to understand.

Drop proof and water proof.

Very happy with how it performs, but I'm very much in the realm of 'snapper'.

eg this one
Rust never sleeps

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2016, 01:47:22 pm »
Have had good results with a Panasonic FT-3 but it's a bit long in the tooth now.  I've read good things about the Oly Tough 4 but bear in mind that all these toughened cameras compromise between image quality, weather resistance and ease of use.  I've had lots of good shots, as I said, but my non-waterproof Sony RX100 blows them away.

I have a FT-<something or other> it's great, so much that Mrs T uses it more than here own Lumix.

MrC, if you want to borrow it, to try it out, let me know.

The updated one (FT5) is not cheap, though, about £220.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 12 January, 2016, 01:54:38 pm »
I have an Olympus Stylus Tough TG-630.  Cheap as chips, and tough as owt.  Not as versatile as my other compact, but capable of excellent results.

As mentioned above, the TG-4 is the premium waterproof camera, with a fast lens and Wi-Fi built in.
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #7 on: 12 January, 2016, 02:02:48 pm »
also GPS, which has been useful, but it is a premium camera.

« Reply #8 on: 12 January, 2016, 02:43:33 pm »
ty for the info - If I'm up your way Phil I may request permission to twiddle knobs, so to speak.

This is all dreaming - my life is mortgaged to the children (the 2 still at home and showing every intention of never leaving or working).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 12 January, 2016, 02:52:59 pm »
You could always try eBay.  I've bought several cameras & quite a few lenses that way and never been diddled.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 12 January, 2016, 03:14:11 pm »
Quite.  And I got my TG-630 for £50.  A  bit more cash gets you a TG-2, which isn't as flash as the TG-4, but is still a very capable camera.
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #11 on: 12 January, 2016, 03:58:43 pm »
We have a Nikon A30 and the newer versions are cheap, glove-usable and more than adequate quality/robustness.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #13 on: 12 January, 2016, 05:01:18 pm »

I have a FT-<something or other> it's great, so much that Mrs T uses it more than here own Lumix.

MrC, if you want to borrow it, to try it out, let me know.

The updated one (FT5) is not cheap, though, about £220.
I have the Lumix FT20, which is the cheaper model (current version is the FT30, which seems very similar, available for about £100).
It is a bit smaller and lighter than the FT3/FT5, though doesn't have GPS or wifi. Seems tough enough anyway, great for cycling or running in the rain, without worrying about it getting wet. No problems using with gloves.
Image quality is mostly OK, though like any small-sensor compact it will struggle in poor light/high ISO. Also not bad for video.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14 on: 12 January, 2016, 05:59:01 pm »
Dunno if they've changed since, but the LCD on my FT3 needs a protector. My FT1 LCD had Gorilla glass or similar so when I got the FT3 I assumed it had too and scuffed it horribly.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #15 on: 12 January, 2016, 06:02:23 pm »
That's a weakness on the TG-4 too  >:(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16 on: 16 January, 2016, 11:18:50 am »
Great, innit?  If you put a screen protector on and squidge it into the scuffed bit with the back of a fingernail it hides it for a while. Then it comes back.  ICBA swapping it, I use the thing mostly on bikeback when framing is approximate anyway.