Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1159421 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #5500 on: 11 October, 2012, 04:30:28 pm »
TLD has just come home from school (no that is not the good news)

Good news 1) She has got into the school cross country team!
Good news 2) the bully who pushed her over yesterday and called her a "stupid idiot" tried the same again today, with another Y3/4 child.  He was seen by one of the teachers and reprimanded by the head.

\o/
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5501 on: 11 October, 2012, 06:37:32 pm »
Today it has rained from 10 mins after I got to work until 5 mins before I set off home, so I managed to ride there and back without getting wet. It started raining again within 10 minutes of getting home :)

More importantly - my newly framed Vantage horizon is now built up at the shop :D (though I can't go and get it until Saturday :()
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5502 on: 11 October, 2012, 07:18:36 pm »
Lord knows the correct thread for this! But I just loved this piccie of 2 of my 'racier' clubmates giving it "full gas" at last week's Downton 2 Day Classic:

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5503 on: 13 October, 2012, 11:50:10 am »
I haz new bike frame :D

Looks shiny and new, if the sun comes out this afternoon there may well be pics :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #5504 on: 13 October, 2012, 02:30:12 pm »
Lord knows the correct thread for this! But I just loved this piccie of 2 of my 'racier' clubmates giving it "full gas" at last week's Downton 2 Day Classic:

That pic is worthy of a magazine page
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #5505 on: 15 October, 2012, 02:38:39 pm »
I haven't got glaucoma after all.

... and 364 days later I still haven't.

Another year gone, and still no sign of glaucoma. The doctor I saw said that next year they might discharge me and leave the testing to  an optician.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5506 on: 15 October, 2012, 10:13:13 pm »
This morning I had the post-scan phone call.

My daughter is, allegedly, 11 weeks and 6 days pregnant. The expected delivery date is 30th April. Ellen thinks, but without massive conviction, that it's a boy. She was quite sure, on no experience whatever, that Martha was going to be a girl, and so it proved. She seemed to think that, from what she could see of the scan pictures, that there was evidence of masculinity there, although it could have been a twist of umbilicus. At 20 weeks, when she has another scan, she will be given a much clearer idea.

The even better news is that we can probably go for our early April jaunt after all! I was thinking that it would have to be written off. It also gives us a chance to go away in late May, as has been our custom in recent years.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5507 on: 16 October, 2012, 09:26:16 am »
Sounds like all is going well.  Congrats and best wishes to your daughter.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5508 on: 16 October, 2012, 08:00:12 pm »
Bread&butter pudding for the yom yom :thumbsup:

LindaG

« Reply #5509 on: 17 October, 2012, 09:45:27 am »
The lengths of white velcro you get in transducer sets for invasive blood pressure monitoring are perfect for strapping extra bits to the bike frame/luggage. Better than sending 'em straight to landfill too  :)
If you have any spare, I'm happy to pay for p&p.

All the velcro straps I've found on general sale are either stupidly long or stupidly expensive. Stitching up my own is far too much faff.

No probs, remind me of your address Bledlow?

Ta

En route to you Bledlow.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5510 on: 17 October, 2012, 12:37:07 pm »
The DVLA have quickly and efficiently renewed my driving licence, without any cockups that mean I have to take my test again.  Their random marital status generator appears to have landed in the right place this time, too.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5511 on: 17 October, 2012, 12:45:52 pm »
The DVLA have quickly and efficiently renewed my driving licence, without any cockups that mean I have to take my test again.  Their random marital status generator appears to have landed in the right place this time, too.
Makes a change, especially since Crapita are still running the DVLA's systems.

Took them the thick end of two years for them to decide that I was no longer the registered keeper of a certain blue money pit (the one I was driving at the time of the Tan Hill ride a couple of years ago and suffered from random electrical failures) despite being told repeatedly by me and the guy who bought it off me that I was no longer the registered keeper.

tiermat

« Reply #5512 on: 17 October, 2012, 12:52:43 pm »

Took them the thick end of two years for them to decide that I was no longer the registered keeper of a certain blue money pit (the one I was driving at the time of the Tan Hill ride a couple of years ago and suffered from random electrical failures) despite being told repeatedly by me and the guy who bought it off me that I was no longer the registered keeper.

It was no better when it was inhouse, as it were.

<wavy lines> back in the mists of time I had a VW Passat Estate (a MK1 with the 2litre Audi engine).  I got a new job with a company car, and the clutch was going on the Passat, so I sent it to auction in West Yorkshire.  It sold, for not a lot of money. 3 weeks later, at $STUPID_OCLOCK there is a loud banging on the door and the house is flooded with light.  A kind policeman thought that $STUPID_OCLOCK was a good time to come and ask me if I owned said Passat as it had been reported as abandoned on wasteground in Pontefract (I guess due to the clutch going).  I showed him all the paperwork, of which he took details and told me that would be the end of it.  A week later, during the day another officer visited and asked the same question "Oh DVLA haven't updated anything" was her reply to my "I told the other officer this last week", lather, rinse, repeat several times over the next couple of months, each time due to the DVLA still showing that the car belonged to me!</wavy lines>
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5513 on: 17 October, 2012, 01:01:38 pm »

It was no better when it was inhouse, as it were.

<wavy lines> back in the mists of time I had a VW Passat Estate (a MK1 with the 2litre Audi engine).  I got a new job with a company car, and the clutch was going on the Passat, so I sent it to auction in West Yorkshire.  It sold, for not a lot of money. 3 weeks later, at $STUPID_OCLOCK there is a loud banging on the door and the house is flooded with light.  A kind policeman thought that $STUPID_OCLOCK was a good time to come and ask me if I owned said Passat as it had been reported as abandoned on wasteground in Pontefract (I guess due to the clutch going).  I showed him all the paperwork, of which he took details and told me that would be the end of it.  A week later, during the day another officer visited and asked the same question "Oh DVLA haven't updated anything" was her reply to my "I told the other officer this last week", lather, rinse, repeat several times over the next couple of months, each time due to the DVLA still showing that the car belonged to me!</wavy lines>
Things like this make me glad that I'm leasing now - the leasing company have to take care of all the bullshit that the DVLA shovel into people's ways. It has its downsides, though - since I don't 'own' the vehicle it means I don't have the V5 which, in turn, means I can't get the necessary windscreen sticker which magically makes City of York's parking fees slightly less iniquitous.

Whilst said stickers are transferrable between vehicles, the one I used to have was in the Meriva when I sold it and also, presumably, when it was scrapped - it's at this point that the DVLA finally concede that I don't own the car any more (gee, ya think?!)

All that said, I'd rather crawl over several miles of broken glass using my eyelid muscles than take a car (or any vehicle) into the centre of York ...

« Reply #5514 on: 17 October, 2012, 02:18:59 pm »
I spent six months trying to convince the DVLA of the fact that I didn't own the Kia, a year after I'd sold it as a non-runner.

Since they tried to do me for driving it while SORNED (because Luton CC had contacted them re parking without paying), and Luton CC tried to fine me for parking it without paying-by providing a picture of the TAX DISC, I spent a considerable amount of time being very confused-and sharing that with various officials.   :facepalm:

Presumably they must have eventually accepted that I'd sold it, as they stopped harassing me regarding the SORN, but they never actually wrote and told me so.  Luton CC on the other hand suddenly informed me that my appeal had been successful.

My own good news: I'm going to be moving!   :thumbsup:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5515 on: 17 October, 2012, 02:49:48 pm »
There's a B'stard hill just close to me that I have to climb to get to some decent offroad.

I usually stop 2 or 3 times on the way up and had set myself a target to get up non-stop by the end of the year.

This lunchtime I managed it! On my Pugsley! OK, I'm 11th on Strava with about twice the time of the number 1 but I'd probably be KOM in Fat Bike and Singlespeed categories if they existed.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5516 on: 18 October, 2012, 05:10:56 pm »
Apparently today is National Reflector Day in Norway and all the oil co's are giving out those slap on reflectors and being as I was visiting a customer I became the happy recipient of a couple, which is nice :) I dare say they will get nobbled by a penguin for overnight audaxes....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

LindaG

« Reply #5517 on: 18 October, 2012, 06:38:38 pm »
National Reflector Day?  That's a new one.  Scope for a good night out to celebrate though.

My Alpkit headtorch has been fixed and is 'winging its way' to me, apparently.

Does that mean it's being delivered by Owl?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5518 on: 18 October, 2012, 06:56:07 pm »
European swallow would be traditional...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5519 on: 18 October, 2012, 07:03:41 pm »
Who Are You, Who Are So Wise in the Ways of Science?

Sorry, wrong sketch.  :-[
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5520 on: 18 October, 2012, 08:41:46 pm »
The heated rear window on the POB actually does work.  It must have a thermostat in the circuit or something, because it didn't do anything when the car steamed up after a summer shower but it worked fine this morning when it was colder.  One thing less to fix.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5521 on: 18 October, 2012, 09:54:39 pm »
National Reflector Day? Surely Reflector Night would be more appropriate.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5522 on: 18 October, 2012, 09:59:29 pm »
Apparently today is National Reflector Day in Norway and all the oil co's are giving out those slap on reflectors and being as I was visiting a customer I became the happy recipient of a couple, which is nice :) I dare say they will get nobbled by a penguin for overnight audaxes....

IME, they're hot on those. Wee dangly reflectors whipped out like a pocket watch as the pedestrian sets off for home in the winter gloom. Adults and children alike.  I've got a PPCoN one somewhere.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5523 on: 19 October, 2012, 06:31:37 am »

IME, they're hot on those. Wee dangly reflectors whipped out like a pocket watch as the pedestrian sets off for home in the winter gloom. Adults and children alike.  I've got a PPCoN one somewhere.

Yes, it's probably to help stop you getting run over by the cyclists on the paths :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

tiermat

« Reply #5524 on: 19 October, 2012, 08:25:21 am »
Does that mean it's being delivered by Owl?

That'll be where Mrs T's owl was last night then, busy flying up to Toytown with you light....