Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 394295 times)

Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #425 on: 11 April, 2012, 08:16:44 pm »
Good news: Tomorrow I'm helping my with a bird survey at Loch of Kinnordy
Bad news:  We need to be there for 6:30am   >:(
Good news: it'll be good experience, and a lot of fun.   :smug:
Bad News:  Except getting rudely awaken by my alarm tomorrow morning at 3:45am   :'(
It'll be horrible until you get there. Then you'll wonder why you don't do that sort of thing more often.
Until about seven in the evening...

Have a good time!

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #426 on: 12 April, 2012, 01:29:39 am »
Good News:-  After many Screw ups by the Local NHS trust meaning that they thought I'd had the Biopsy about 6 weeks ago and I finally managed to get an appointment for it to actually be done.

Bad News:-  Having it done on Friday the 13th!!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #427 on: 12 April, 2012, 08:12:03 am »
Good news: Tomorrow I'm helping my with a bird survey at Loch of Kinnordy
Bad news:  We need to be there for 6:30am   >:(
Good news: it'll be good experience, and a lot of fun.   :smug:
Bad News:  Except getting rudely awaken by my alarm tomorrow morning at 3:45am   :'(

Kinnordy is just a couple of miles along the road from us... you've got a cracking day for it.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #428 on: 12 April, 2012, 09:18:14 am »
Good news: grandma is finally conceding that she might need a bit of professional help round the house beyond what the district nurse provides.
Bad news: she's getting old and infirm.
Good news: she's got to 103 without.
Better news: I'm not the one that has to find someone she's happy to have around the house.
Bad news: My Mum will be doing this, so I'll still hear all about it.

essexian

« Reply #429 on: 12 April, 2012, 11:49:00 am »
Good News: Just had a Heart Stress Test which took my heart up to 190 (115% of my MHR) without any increase in the dull pain I have had in my chest since last November. The test went well, said the Tec, "most people don't manage what you did."

Bad News: Still don't know what is causing this dull chest pain despite a number of tests (My mum died of heart failure last year.... )
I am starting to think that its all in my head.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #430 on: 13 April, 2012, 02:44:28 am »
Good news: MORE Hospital Screw ups and due to "Staff Difficulties" tomorrow's (Today's now!) Biopsy is off so Friday the 13th doesn't make me fret so much!

Bad news:- More Hospital screw up and due to "Staff difficulties" the Biopsy is now put back until they can rearrange it for, hopefully, next week!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #431 on: 13 April, 2012, 11:26:25 am »
Bad news: my blood test results were catastrophically bad - my blood sugars are almost as high as they were when I was diagnosed  :o Needless to say, the Lead Souffle of Depression is back with a vengeance and the additional meds are making me feel ill.
Good news: it motivated me enough to ride to work this morning
Statement of the bleedin' obvious: diabetes sucks.

Bad news/Good news1 - looks like I might have to come out of hiding now.

1 - depending on your viewpoint

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #432 on: 13 April, 2012, 11:41:02 am »
Bad news: my blood test results were catastrophically bad - my blood sugars are almost as high as they were when I was diagnosed  :o Needless to say, the Lead Souffle of Depression is back with a vengeance and the additional meds are making me feel ill.
Good news: it motivated me enough to ride to work this morning
Statement of the bleedin' obvious: diabetes sucks.

Sorry to hear that IZ, maybe you should jump on a train some Thursday evenings and join us? :)  The Pugsley would have loved last night....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #433 on: 13 April, 2012, 12:42:05 pm »

I say GOOD!

Hoe the bgs stabilise soon and that the lead souffle buggers off soon-as.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #434 on: 17 April, 2012, 12:00:35 am »
Good news:
The Country Girl is now open till midnight all week rather than just the weekend as previously.

Bad news:
The Country Girl is now open till midnight all week rather than just the weekend as previously.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #435 on: 17 April, 2012, 09:13:10 am »
Good news: I got an emergency appointment with doctor yesterday.

Good news:  No kidney infection

Bad new:  It's probably muscular. Take extra painkillers, just add paracetamol and ibuprofen together.

Bad news:
Back pain still wakes me at 3am every night.
Oh, well, it's not like I *need* to be able to sleep for more than 3 hours. Or do things like have enough energy to ride my bike.

Good news:
I get to hear the birdsong every dawn.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #436 on: 18 April, 2012, 12:48:48 pm »
I think this qualifies for this thread...

Good news: Wife (currently doing PGCE) phoned school in Oxford about a job she loved the look of and got very positive response and was asked to apply.

Bad news: It would seem that Oxford area rental costs are so eye wateringly high that if I couldn't find myself a job there, 80% odd of her salary would go to covering bills.

Don't want to put a dampener but we did rule out the south-east due to cost of living and it would appear that oxford is within the sphere of influence.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #437 on: 18 April, 2012, 12:49:47 pm »
Oxford is in the south east.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #438 on: 18 April, 2012, 01:07:59 pm »
Is Oxford really more expensive than Bristol?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

GrahamG

« Reply #439 on: 18 April, 2012, 01:10:27 pm »
Oxford is in the south east.

I kind of had it as a bit of a grey area between SE and midlands. Can't believe the cost of rent there.

Cudzo - significantly, like what appears to be in the region of 30-40% more on similarish properties (comparing areas of Oxford that I have some knowledge of!).

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #440 on: 18 April, 2012, 02:23:17 pm »
Oxford is frighteningly expensive.  IIRC Dr Larrington's house there is valued at rather more than Larrington Towers in That London, in spite of being smaller and having the bathroom off the kitchen.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #441 on: 18 April, 2012, 05:57:21 pm »
If you're prepared to live in Studenstville, then the rental prices up the Cowley Road are (comparatively) low.  You can rule out living in Jericho or Summertown unless you have a trust fund, Botley and Blackbird Leys are full of thieves and drug addicts, but I lived in Cowley for a while and it was lovely, and rent was affordableish.

« Reply #442 on: 20 April, 2012, 09:07:05 am »
the Good news:

I cycled in to work. Slowly, but I did make it.

The Bad:
Spent 20minutes on the way in arguing with stepson about him going to school. He didn't go.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #443 on: 20 April, 2012, 09:13:45 am »
Good News: Even in vvv heavy rain I did a 24 sec course PB on my 10m TT last night :) :) :)

Bad News: I hurt everywhere due to hitting a pothole in the warm up and taking off through the air, landing in a big heap in front of a car. Handlebar prints on thighs, smashed elbow and wrist, bruises everywhere.

Still pleased with my adrenaline fuelled time though :) :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #444 on: 24 April, 2012, 12:49:51 pm »
Good news: The builder has arrived to continue the buildering he started many weeks ago.
Bad news: He's buildered a bit and left.
Good news: He's left all his buckets, cement mixer, etc lying around, so clearly intends to come back and finish today.
Bad news: He's left all his buckets, cement mixer, etc lying around.
Good news: He's been very careful not to squash the flowers we planted.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #445 on: 24 April, 2012, 04:22:35 pm »

Good news: Wife (currently doing PGCE) phoned school in Oxford about a job she loved the look of and got very positive response and was asked to apply.

Bad news: It would seem that Oxford area rental costs are so eye wateringly high that if I couldn't find myself a job there, 80% odd of her salary would go to covering bills.

Don't want to put a dampener but we did rule out the south-east due to cost of living and it would appear that oxford is within the sphere of influence.

Something we discovered, when both myself and Mrs T worked in, or near Oxford, is that Banbury is MUCH cheaper for renting, has a regular train link to Oxford and is the right side of town for Peartree P'n'R.  Banbury itself is not bad, had a brilliant curry house (obviously don't know if it is still there as this was in 2001/2) and all the other services you would require.  It also seems to be as far as most Northerners dare to venture down the M40, as you hear more Yorkshire/Lancs/Scouse accents there than anywhere else in the SE.

Win all round for us, and might be worth looking for your case.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

GrahamG

« Reply #446 on: 24 April, 2012, 04:25:27 pm »
Tiermat/Julian,

Thanks for the tips - fingers crossed now for the shortlisting and whole job interview shenanigans!

« Reply #447 on: 24 April, 2012, 07:51:58 pm »

Oxford is a special case, probably more expensive than anywhere outside London.

As well as Banbury, Bicester is relatively affordable, & has an adequate train service.

Back in Oxford, Botley isn't as bad as Julian makes out. Barton is old council estate, still proletarian, & reminds me of where I grew up.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #448 on: 24 April, 2012, 08:09:19 pm »
Good news: I've put a class photo from my infant school on Friendface

Bad news: I'm wasting too much time on Friendface!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #449 on: 25 April, 2012, 09:21:23 am »
Good news: Mrs. Wow has, without any evidence of panic, set off for Maidstone on her own in the car.

Bad news: it's going to be pissing with rain all day and I've got my two longest commutes of the week for which I'll be relying on a combination of train and bike, or perhaps a bus for this afternoon.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.