Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 396214 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #850 on: 27 December, 2012, 10:08:49 pm »
BTW, Mrs. Wow was very appreciative of the lovely flowers that a very kind forummer sent to her this morning.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #851 on: 28 December, 2012, 06:41:37 am »
I don't think I've sustained any serious injury but I do hurt quite a lot (especially in the other bad hip which I definitely didn't land on) despite deployment of painkillers.  I'm going to blame vestibular nonsense as I keep tripping over my own feet and veering left into walls. 

The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #852 on: 28 December, 2012, 07:19:53 am »
People will just assume you've overdone the seasonal celebrations :-)

Take care, you don't bounce well.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #853 on: 28 December, 2012, 01:01:06 pm »
Good news: the village pub is currently selling Tally Ho.
Bad news: the village pub is currently selling Tally Ho.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #854 on: 28 December, 2012, 06:42:35 pm »
People will just assume you've overdone the seasonal celebrations :-)

Yep, this is a known hazard.  People not believing that my balance really is bad, especially if I'm bunged up.  I know deaf people with bad balance and deaf speech who've been arrested for drunken wossnames by plod who didn't believe they were just deafdizzies.

Take care, you don't bounce well.

No I don't.  Tonight's foray into the cupboard what is too high involved my usual climbing onto the surface method which looks dodgier but is probably safer for me.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #855 on: 30 December, 2012, 04:51:06 pm »
GN: We have had a fantastic day with the Torslanda crew.

BN: My Panasonic Lumix, which was present from Mrs T last Xmas, has died a death, it still takes photos but they are either a) really badly washed out or b) covered in lines. :( Onto Panasonic, I guess, to see if I can get it fixed.

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #856 on: 31 December, 2012, 02:12:34 pm »
Bad news: The stitching round the heels of my walking books is going.
Good news: They've lasted me about 22 years.

« Reply #857 on: 31 December, 2012, 10:16:56 pm »
Good news:

An old friend of mine phoned me up today & asked if I'd like to go skiing next week. She's going with a few others, & one's dropped out, so she's in a room for two alone. Half board in Tignes, leaving early Saturday morning from Stansted but includes free hotel room on Friday night. Mrs B doesn't mind (she thinks it's safe to let me share a room with a woman who I've known since we were students together without shagging, despite hitchhiking round Europe together with a small tent, & who's been firmly attached to another woman for over 20 years). The person who's had to cancel is willing to let it go cheap. No problem changing the name on the booking. No commitments to stop me going.

Bad news:

I'm still coughing hard enough to double me up sometimes, e.g. whenever I encounter cold air (err - what's the temperature outdoors in Tignes?), & feeling worn out after a short walk. The chance of me being fit to ski all next week, or even for enough of it not to feel that even a discounted holiday is a waste of money seems too small to be worth risking.

I am sad.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #858 on: 01 January, 2013, 01:51:47 am »
Bad news: after 10 whole days together, I have to get a train back to York tomorrow. :'(
Good News: I'll be back with MFWHTBAB on Friday for the weekend. :thumbsup:

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #859 on: 01 January, 2013, 09:05:01 am »
Bad news: I woke up to find the central heating borked.

Good news: After a rather convoluted phone call process I fixed it myself.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

tiermat

« Reply #860 on: 01 January, 2013, 07:44:58 pm »
GN I spent the day on a brilliant ride with two fantastic people.

BN I had an off, in "nothing happened" style, in flood water, and now my left leg hurts. May need pain killers to be able to sleep tonight.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #861 on: 01 January, 2013, 08:17:51 pm »
Ouch.  Hope that the result of nothing happening heals well.
Getting there...

« Reply #862 on: 02 January, 2013, 11:08:17 am »
the good news

My employers have given me a nice new wi-fi enabled digital radio to celebrate 10yrs of making dab radios.

The bad news

It's white with a Union Jack on the front.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #863 on: 02 January, 2013, 11:14:08 am »
It's white with a Union Jack on the front.
:sick:

(not to be unpatriotic or anything, but stuff emblazoned in such a way invariably looks naff)

tiermat

« Reply #864 on: 02 January, 2013, 12:10:18 pm »
BN: I have been reviewing the route for April, and feel that 89miles with 19000ft of climbing, in one day, might be a bit much (especially as it is day3 of the ride).

GN: I have managed to work out a route that goes from and to the same places, which is shorter (68 miles) and climbs less (10000ft)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #865 on: 02 January, 2013, 01:24:14 pm »
Bad news: our Time Capsule has died.

Good news: Dez has removed the hard disc from it and is currently copying the data.

Further good news: I have ordered a 1Tb USB disc which will sit on my desk and be my own personal backup.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #866 on: 02 January, 2013, 01:35:22 pm »
Good news: I have had four very good curries in five days.

Bad news: I am now experiencing what can only be described as nappy rash and a very sore behind.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #867 on: 02 January, 2013, 05:29:20 pm »
The good news - I found my Silva sighting compass.

The bad news - it looks like this:

DSC_9092 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

The good news - Silva USA claim a lifetime warranty
The bad news - I can't find any mention of it on the Silva sweden page.

A polite email has been sent. The worst they could say is no as I don't have the original proof of purchase from 20 years ago.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #868 on: 02 January, 2013, 07:18:50 pm »
BN: I have been reviewing the route for April, and feel that 89miles with 19000ft of climbing, in one day, might be a bit much (especially as it is day3 of the ride).

GN: I have managed to work out a route that goes from and to the same places, which is shorter (68 miles) and climbs less (10000ft)

phew.

tiermat

« Reply #869 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:17:04 pm »
The good news:

I have only 2 more weeks left of a contract I am not really happy with working for people I don't, on the whole, get on with.

The bad news:

My request to WFH for part of those 2 weeks has been knocked back because I "need to do a handover" to the new guy,  New guy is competent (which makes a nice change), is one of the few people I get on with in the office (we have similar interests such as cooking, cycling, Spain etc etc) and he has only about a dozen servers to look after.  He, during a conversation yesterday, told me he has got his head around how it all hangs together, so I am just baby sitting him.  I have done this today, working from home. <SIGH>

« Reply #870 on: 04 January, 2013, 02:30:10 pm »
BN: my usual ride to club night was curtailed by persistant cramp in both calves that stubborly refused to 'ride out'.

GN: bailing to nearest train station, find I only have to wait 20 mins, can procure sustenance from nearby garage, service is not a stupid 'thou shalt not board with a bicycle' and is running to time  :thumbsup:
I like maps me

« Reply #871 on: 04 January, 2013, 03:21:51 pm »
Good news: Steak tonight.  :thumbsup:

Bad news: Indi got there first and snaffled it from the worktop.  :facepalm: Kibble for me then.  ::-)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #872 on: 04 January, 2013, 06:43:40 pm »
GN.  Scotrail released the sleeper trains tickets for our dates in March, and the Fort William service is running although at a time different to the usual one and nobody can explain why.

BN.  There are no bargain berths or advance tickets availal at all.  They claim that they have sold out.  This was the case at 9 this morning.  There are also no advances at all on the Inverness service.  This was also the case at 9 this morning.

We can't take the sleeper.  The fare is well over double the price of a flight.  So, assuming that everyone still wants to go, we will be going by in cars and planes to a holiday cottage that was booked entirely and absolutely on the basis that it was attainable by sleeper and connecting services and which will now be really bloody inconvenient to get to.

And my boys will be gutted.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #873 on: 04 January, 2013, 07:24:03 pm »
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #874 on: 04 January, 2013, 07:29:58 pm »
I hadn't seen that - but I have independently commented to Scotrail already when on the phone, and will be grinking.  The cheapest available fare to FW this morning at 9 was £160.  At 8pm last night they were unable to tell me if the service was even running.  Nobody can explain why it's a 20:38 departure not a 21:15 one.

Useless feckers.