Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 394422 times)

Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #1125 on: 19 July, 2013, 09:25:49 am »
Boots kitchen appliances.

With all charges (next day delivery, taking away dead fridge) slightly more expensive than some others (e.g. £13 more than appliancesonline.co.uk*, though possession of a Boots loyalty card reduces that by several quid), but I'm very happy.

*Lower basic price cancelled out by delivery charge & a higher price for next day delivery.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1126 on: 20 July, 2013, 10:21:59 pm »
Bad news: the mechanism that opens the shower room door failed on me today, while I was in there (handle was moving, catch was not).
Good news: Mrs Dan was in the house and able to pass screwdriver and then hammer through the window. A sharp tap near the catch worked where a good shove hadn't.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1127 on: 01 August, 2013, 01:31:23 am »
GN: It being Ramadan, a number of my local fast-food emporia are open late during the week.

BN: It being Ramadan, a number of my local fast-food emporia are open late during the week.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1128 on: 05 August, 2013, 01:21:05 pm »
BN: When I wanted to fettle a thing on my new milling machine[1] I got too greedy and tried to cut to much. A horrible mess to sort out.
GN: I was only making a jig.  The thing turned out as expected.

[1] A milling machine is an old fashioned type of 3D printer which works backwards from a block of metal. Also cool when stepper motors are added.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1129 on: 06 August, 2013, 04:56:27 pm »
GN: I have spent the day wandering from cafe to cafe and in and out of camping shops, without doing a stroke of work all day.

BN: I have spent the day wandering from cafe to cafe and in and out of camping shops, without doing a stroke of work all day.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1130 on: 06 August, 2013, 06:17:21 pm »
GN: I have found the mapsource CD

BN: I spent 20 minutes ranting at BT, Talk Talk & Royal Mail on the phone.

How are these connected?

Well, it was only because I had to find an envelope to send the non-redirected letters that RM charged me £1.50 a time for, to re-direction HQ (despite the re-direction lasting till November, hence the rant on the phone), that I finally looked in the box of things that really belong in the desk/filing cabinet and haven't been put away, that I came across it.

Result :thumbsup:

« Reply #1131 on: 09 August, 2013, 09:58:23 am »
GN: New dishwasher fitted.

BN: They rang at 6.37am to tell us they were coming at 7am. (Fair enough, I did have a 7am-9am delivery/installation slot). But 6.37am. Hangover too. Ugh.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1132 on: 09 August, 2013, 11:01:15 am »
BN: I just raised my blood pressure by several notches ranting on the phone to a poor Barclays customer complaints woman (about a long-standing, hugely irritating complaint - yes, I would like to tell them to flip off, but I don't currently have a regular income and therefore can't open another account!).

GN: I was awarded £62 in compensation. Better than a paper cut.

« Reply #1133 on: 10 August, 2013, 05:35:50 pm »
My uncle once got the bank to behave by offering to take his overdraft elsewhere. I forget whether he had a regular income.

Good news: MIL is looking after the kids tonight so Mrs Dan and I can go out.
Bad news: Miss Dans Younger and Older will be off with MIL to Corby for the week. They house always feels empty without them.

« Reply #1134 on: 11 August, 2013, 12:14:08 pm »
GN - The cheeky bid I placed on e-bay for that frame was the winning bid !

BN - I now have to explain to Mrs Sox that I have just bought (yet another) bike frame, and need some cash

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1135 on: 14 August, 2013, 06:28:47 pm »
BN - I've really not kept the B'ham garden under any sort of control for two years.

GM- I've just picked over a litre of big fat blackberries.  With signs of lots more coming on.

I guess that even though I've not done much for years, the soil quality in your average garden is probably much more superior to that where blackberries grow in the wild.

*makes note to pick up a bramley on the way home tomorrow.*
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1136 on: 16 August, 2013, 10:44:22 am »
GN: We've had our carpets cleaned. At the landlord's expense.
BN: They are wet and the unpleasant aroma of cleaning fluid (it's not just ordinary carpet shampoo) lingers throughout the house. Apparently it will take 6 to 8 hours to dry in this weather. And it shows how dirty other areas are.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1137 on: 16 August, 2013, 10:56:53 am »
GN: I am going to Germany, again, at work's expense.

BN: Looks like I will either have to Stansted to get a morning flight, or not get to Germany until 13:30.

Extra BN: I will have to be there for a week :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1138 on: 16 August, 2013, 11:10:24 am »
Lucky you, going to Germany.

Enjoy the cake!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1139 on: 16 August, 2013, 12:01:51 pm »
GN: mega chilli harvest from the office plants - all the sunshine means that even the humble Apache chillis have been catapulted into the 'bastard hot' category, and the habaneros are practically incendiary  :thumbsup:

BN: The Bhut Jolokia is steadfastly refusing to bear any fruit, and the chances of getting anything off it this year are getting smaller by the day ... depending on your point of view (and capsaicin tolerance) this could also be GN.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1140 on: 17 August, 2013, 04:20:40 pm »
GN: The other inhabitants of Cudzo Towers went out and bought some cherries.

BN: The first thing I knew of this was a bowl full of pips and stalks.

« Reply #1141 on: 21 August, 2013, 03:16:32 pm »
BN: My arsehole of a next door neighbour (moving away in 2 weeks) eavesdropped on my conversation with another neighbour where I mooted the idea of hanging out bunting and flags and was a little bit enraged

GN: I'm lying about the bad ...it's ALL good  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ruth

« Reply #1142 on: 26 August, 2013, 04:53:14 pm »
Good news - found a piece of chewing gum at the bottom of my handbag!

Bad news - Juicy Fruit

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1143 on: 02 September, 2013, 07:27:42 pm »
BN:  Visitation

GN: Front wheel
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1144 on: 02 September, 2013, 07:36:14 pm »
Good news: work have finally replaced my laptop.

Bad news: it's the size of a paving slab and twice as heavy

« Reply #1145 on: 05 September, 2013, 08:53:46 am »
Good news!!! The removals lorry has arrived to take our arseholes of neighbours away, yayyyyy!!!!!

Bad News.... Miss Ham is insisting I turn the volume down on my playlist: Oh Happy Day, They're coming to take me away, Leaving on a Jetplane, Time of your life (good riddance) etc etc Booooo

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #1146 on: 05 September, 2013, 09:54:16 am »
Good news!!! The removals lorry has arrived to take our arseholes of neighbours away, yayyyyy!!!!!

Bad News.... Miss Ham is insisting I turn the volume down on my playlist: Oh Happy Day, They're coming to take me away, Leaving on a Jetplane, Time of your life (good riddance) etc etc Booooo

I wish I had had my phone on mute when I read that. Inappropriate laughing in the middle of a serious conference call. :D
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #1147 on: 05 September, 2013, 08:50:06 pm »
Good news: I get two days in lieu for having to work two days over the last bank holiday weekend, plus a bank hol payment (whatever that is).

Bad news: I will have to wait a year for another Mildenhall Rally...

« Reply #1148 on: 05 September, 2013, 10:20:58 pm »
GN: My automagically renewing motorbike insurance is cheaper than all my new quotes (albeit only using one comparision site rather than the whole gamut).

BN: They have neglected to note a card number on the renewal form so I'm going to have to phone them to see if they are going to try and use an expired card.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1149 on: 08 September, 2013, 09:21:44 am »
Good news - I've got the next 2 weeks off to go touring  :thumbsup:

Bad news - I've just woken up with a stiff left shoulder and a case of the sniffles...  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark