Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 389925 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #1300 on: 06 February, 2014, 01:09:26 pm »
The sensible tool-free limit must be the distance you're prepared to wheel a failed bike.

This might not be PC round here, but if I'm prepared to wheel it I'll probably just walk.

(Ride up and down the street to check nothing falls off notwithstanding.)

I don't see it as unPC.
I gave up cycling to work when I moved into a house 1km away from the workplace. A 12 minute walk made more sense than 5 minutes on the bike and seven minutes locking up and changing clothes.

I didn't bother with tools when I rode two miles to work but never had a visitation either.
Surely for a five minute ride you could cycle in whatever you would walk in?

Not if your trousers could get caught in the chain...
At the very least you'll need cycle clips or to tuck your trousers into your socks.
Slap wraps are what you need.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1301 on: 06 February, 2014, 01:20:46 pm »
GN: It would appear that my LBS has taken delivery of n+1
BN: Due to their workshop being stupendously busy, the up-specced wheels won't be ready by the weekend but I can live with that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1302 on: 06 February, 2014, 02:27:37 pm »
The sensible tool-free limit must be the distance you're prepared to wheel a failed bike.

This might not be PC round here, but if I'm prepared to wheel it I'll probably just walk.

(Ride up and down the street to check nothing falls off notwithstanding.)

I don't see it as unPC.
I gave up cycling to work when I moved into a house 1km away from the workplace. A 12 minute walk made more sense than 5 minutes on the bike and seven minutes locking up and changing clothes.

I didn't bother with tools when I rode two miles to work but never had a visitation either.
Surely for a five minute ride you could cycle in whatever you would walk in?

Not if your trousers could get caught in the chain...
At the very least you'll need cycle clips or to tuck your trousers into your socks.

No they're not. They would not keep my trousers under control. I never got on with cycle clips either. I don't know if this is a girlie calf and girlie trouser problem as partner is fine with clips.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1303 on: 06 February, 2014, 02:29:53 pm »

No they're not. They would not keep my trousers under control. I never got on with cycle clips either. I don'y know if this is a girlie calf and girlie trouser problem as partner is fine with clips.

+1

Slap wraps have never proved adequate for restraining my trouser legs (regardless of trouser material - it's not just jeans that are the problem).  Maybe they work better for people with thinner ankles?

Clips work, but get painful after about half an hour. (Though I wouldn't want to ride for more than that in civvies.)

I find the Mk1 sock is usually the optimum solution.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1304 on: 06 February, 2014, 02:33:20 pm »
Being in the habit of wearing Humvees whenever I can get away with it, I have an easily adjusted, and very nearly adequate, velcro strap built into me trewen themselves. :)
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1305 on: 06 February, 2014, 02:34:29 pm »
Being in the habit of wearing Humvees whenever I can get away with it, I have an easily adjusted, and very nearly adequate, velcro strap built into me trewen themselves. :)

Humvees don't have room for cyclists' thighs.   >:(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1306 on: 06 February, 2014, 02:35:04 pm »
I don't have slender thighs.  I just don't.
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1307 on: 06 February, 2014, 02:35:20 pm »

No they're not. They would not keep my trousers under control. I never got on with cycle clips either. I don'y know if this is a girlie calf and girlie trouser problem as partner is fine with clips.

+1

Slap wraps have never proved adequate for restraining my trouser legs (regardless of trouser material - it's not just jeans that are the problem).  Maybe they work better for people with thinner ankles?

Clips work, but get painful after about half an hour. (Though I wouldn't want to ride for more than that in civvies.)

+1

So long as the sock is long enough. Some girlie ankle socks are far too short, though I seldom wore these 'size 4-7'' creations as my feet are long.
Long men's socks were fine.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1308 on: 06 February, 2014, 02:36:42 pm »

I expect the men's version is a more sensible shape, if you don't need the arse room of the ladies'.

I bought a pair at the York rally a couple of years ago that appeared to fit, spent the weekend wandering around in them, then discovered the problem when I tried to ride a bike.  They don't make a larger size.

Fortunately they're only slightly big for barakta.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1309 on: 06 February, 2014, 02:37:37 pm »

+1

So long as the sock is long enough. Some girlie ankle socks are far too short, though I seldom wore these 'size 4-7'' creations as my feet are long.
Long men's socks were fine.

Point.  I only wear sturdy men's socks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1310 on: 06 February, 2014, 02:42:04 pm »

I expect the men's version is a more sensible shape, if you don't need the arse room of the ladies'.

I bought a pair at the York rally a couple of years ago that appeared to fit, spent the weekend wandering around in them, then discovered the problem when I tried to ride a bike.  They don't make a larger size.

Fortunately they're only slightly big for barakta.

You make a very good point.  I am not sure if cycling clothing manufacturers have ever met a woman, let alone a woman cyclist. ;D

Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1311 on: 06 February, 2014, 03:11:22 pm »
You make a very good point.  I am not sure if cycling clothing manufacturers have ever met a woman, let alone a woman cyclist. ;D

They have.  The problem is they've only met the one.

« Reply #1312 on: 06 February, 2014, 03:27:49 pm »
TTIUWP
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1313 on: 06 February, 2014, 03:58:24 pm »

They have.  The problem is they've only met the one.
It wasn't me, either.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1314 on: 06 February, 2014, 04:57:59 pm »
I've never found socks to be much good at restraining trouser cuffs. I agree that clips begin to pinch after a while. But as for jeans, I think they tend to be better for riding in than many non-jean trousers precisely because they are less flappy, though they have other disadvantages. If only plus fours would return to fashion...  :) :-\

« Reply #1315 on: 06 February, 2014, 08:31:02 pm »
I just roll my civvy trousers up.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1316 on: 06 February, 2014, 09:37:21 pm »
Rolled-up trousers have a habit of unrolling IME.
Rolling them up properly takes AGES.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1317 on: 06 February, 2014, 11:18:01 pm »
I mostly use two thin postie style rubber bands, one near the ankle and one about 10cm higher as it's usually an unplanned trip at work.

The best things I've found for holding trousers are 'wowwow's. Little high-viz straps with a velcro fastening. THey aren't elastic, but seem pretty good at staying put.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/WOWOW-Arm-Leg-Reflective-Bands/dp/B0045U4P02
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1318 on: 06 February, 2014, 11:40:18 pm »
I was keen on using Respro neoprene reflective straps.http://respro.com/store/product/ankle-bands

They seemed stretchy enough.
David never liked them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1319 on: 06 February, 2014, 11:41:51 pm »
The best things I've found for holding trousers are 'wowwow's. Little high-viz straps with a velcro fastening. THey aren't elastic, but seem pretty good at staying put.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/WOWOW-Arm-Leg-Reflective-Bands/dp/B0045U4P02

Are they endorsed by Mr Bagger himself?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1320 on: 07 February, 2014, 02:04:56 pm »
I was keen on using Respro neoprene reflective straps.http://respro.com/store/product/ankle-bands

David never liked them.
Those look just like slapwraps, but presumably if they're neoprene they work differently. Actually, I can't tell from that how they do work!

Velcro - hate it! Incredibly useful stuff, but I'm too clumsy with it and it always gets stuck to the wrong things (eg my socks, especially if they're woolly winter cycling ones).

« Reply #1321 on: 07 February, 2014, 04:04:23 pm »

David never liked them.
Those look just like slapwraps, but presumably if they're neoprene they work differently. Actually, I can't tell from that how they do work!

Velcro - hate it! Incredibly useful stuff, but I'm too clumsy with it and it always gets stuck to the wrong things (eg my socks, especially if they're woolly winter cycling ones).

Never really got on with the Respro things. They worked OK, and their velcro never seemed to stick to anything it shouldn't, but the fluo side was dull and very quickly grubby, while the refelective side just seemed dull.

I fairly quickly decided I was better trying not to ride in normal trousers.

« Reply #1322 on: 07 February, 2014, 04:58:02 pm »
I get on fairly well with the velcro trouser holders. The advantage is that they go small enough for scrawny ankles (and children). Slippery trousers do sometimes slide out of them, but they mostly work. You need to bend your knee when fastening them though, otherwise your trouser pulls out when you pedal.

Ladies cycling wear, like horseriding clobber is not generally designed for the physique of the people who actually do the activities.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1323 on: 07 February, 2014, 06:00:44 pm »

Which, anecdotally (I heard it at The Science museum) was how it came to be invented. Wee seed heads snagged on yer man's hiking socks and  <foom!> an idea was had.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1324 on: 08 February, 2014, 12:37:42 pm »
Synthetic goose grass!