Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 389897 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #1400 on: 13 May, 2014, 06:39:56 pm »
GN: My house martins are back  :thumbsup:
BN: My house martins are back ... that such a little bird can contain so much shit, and deposit it with such unerring accuracy (usually on the car) is a constant source of both amazement and exasperation.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1401 on: 13 May, 2014, 07:14:30 pm »
Good news: had my ears syringed today :sick: and I can hear properly again after a week.

Bad news: the world really is very noisy!  Even my mouse is loud!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1402 on: 14 May, 2014, 01:25:54 pm »
Bad news: 3 days of acute D&V, not keeping anything down, blacking out, etc.

Good news: Lots of exciting post to open in bed. I now have a HDMI cable, a Schnozzel valve adapter, and an ESR meter to play with.  It's like a slightly rubbish birthday.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1403 on: 14 May, 2014, 01:46:21 pm »
The bike rack at work was so full I struggled to park
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1404 on: 15 May, 2014, 06:20:59 pm »
GN: I have just had a telephone interview (though, in my mind that could be classed as bad news, I hate them!)
BN: I will be losing 3-5 hours of my week from now on
GN: Those hours will be evening/weekends, so no real loss (would probably be just taken out of my TV watching hours)
2*GN: I'll get paid for them!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1405 on: 15 May, 2014, 07:03:02 pm »
GN: My missing USBWerk has resurfaced ....
BN: .... two days after the replacement arrived  ::-)
G(?)N: Since I now have a spare, I won't have to faff around (as much) moving them between bikes.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1406 on: 16 May, 2014, 09:54:05 am »
BN: I iz off with the lurgy
GN: This just came on the radio.  I loved French Revolutions, how had I not heard of this before? 

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1407 on: 16 May, 2014, 10:03:12 am »
GN: This just came on the radio.  I loved French Revolutions, how had I not heard of this before?
Oooh ... and only three-anna-half squids for the Kindle version ...

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1408 on: 16 May, 2014, 12:39:26 pm »
Good: COS said a while ago if we've nowt pressing on we can sod off at 2 :thumbsup:
Bad: Since then it's clouded over and the air's gone sultry ::-)
Terrible: I didn't pick my jacket up this morning :facepalm:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1409 on: 16 May, 2014, 06:12:39 pm »
GN: Got an email from the LBS to say that my two reforked 29ers are now ready ...  :thumbsup:
BN: The email was timestamped 16:51, I've only just received it and the bike shop shut 10 minutes ago  ::-)
GN: I'll be set for the overnighter(s) I've got planned for BH weekend
BN: It'll take two trips to pick the bikes up, since attempting to fit a pair of 29ers, even in stripped-down form, into the back of my car isn't something I wish to repeat for the sake of my sanity. Or indeed the sanity of anyone within a 5 mile radius.

« Reply #1410 on: 16 May, 2014, 09:16:23 pm »
BN: I iz off with the lurgy

Part two is a bit like the audax ride reports! Thanks for the link!

« Reply #1411 on: 16 May, 2014, 10:34:34 pm »
BN:  I've only just got home after a 13 hr day

GN: I'm off for the next 2 weeks!

I hope that none of the supposedly senior colleagues I handed some crappy jobs off to, have problems with them ....

(feeling a bit guilty, but I'm pretty much a 1 man band and a very busy one at that!)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1412 on: 17 May, 2014, 09:47:47 am »
BN: At 8am this morning I sat my first ever driving theory test (aged 52). I did far worse than I did on the mock tests I did.
GN: At 8:50am I was told I had passed.

Theory Test 90%. Pass Mark is 86%
Hazard Test 66.67% Pass Mark is 58.67%

I am amazed, as poorly as I did, I passed.  I briefly assumed that everyone passes first time always. I was corrected on the train home when I overheard a lad who sat the test the same time phone is mum to tell her he failed.

« Reply #1413 on: 19 May, 2014, 06:06:55 pm »
BN: The AWL Magyar contingent will be decamping to Budapest for 5+ weeks from late July.

GN: The AWL Magyar contingent will be decamping to Budapest for 5+ weeks from late July.

BN: Wizzair's website is the clunkiest, shittiest bit of coding I have experienced in a long, long time. Take a lesson from easyJet you twonks and get an English native speaker to proof read your crappy content.

GN: Despite much aggravation, we got there in the end.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1414 on: 19 May, 2014, 06:13:14 pm »
I am amazed, as poorly as I did, I passed.  I briefly assumed that everyone passes first time always. I was corrected on the train home when I overheard a lad who sat the test the same time phone is mum to tell her he failed.
Just wait 'til you sit your practical test, then  ;)
When I sat my theory/hazard perception tests the results were waiting for me as I left the examination room - I was handed the appropriate bits of paperwork with a 'congratulations, you've passed' from the receptionist, although a couple of the people who were sitting the test at the same time as me weren't quite so lucky.

Be prepared to fail your first practical test, though ... I did, in pretty boneheaded fashion (on the way back to the test centre, half a mile to go and the examiner asks me to pull over in a safe place. Right before a crossroads is not a safe place  :facepalm:)

Ruth

« Reply #1415 on: 19 May, 2014, 10:22:44 pm »
GN:  A bloke at work wivva van has agreed to help me move for £300.00

BN:  No idea where I'm going to live

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1416 on: 19 May, 2014, 11:39:22 pm »
'S obvious inni? You're going to live in the YACF commune.
 ;D

(seriously - i thought you'd been through all this recently, with the kitchen trauma and all that?)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Ruth

« Reply #1417 on: 19 May, 2014, 11:42:30 pm »
'S obvious inni? You're going to live in the YACF commune.
 ;D

(seriously - i thought you'd been through all this recently, with the kitchen trauma and all that?)

My landlord said I could move immediately, before the end of the lease, as it would be easier to sell without a sitting tenant.  I did not get this in writing  ::-)  He then changed his mind.  I'm moving in July.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1418 on: 20 May, 2014, 01:16:42 am »
NN: I had an appointment at The National Hospital, Queen Square for my annual review at 15.45 19/5/2015.
NN: I booked a taxi for 14:35 to take me there.

GN: The taxi arrived on time
NN: The meter failed after a few miles. I told the driver, who said he was taking the cab to be fixed after he'd dropped me.

BN: The taxi 'died' at Russell Square. It would not budge an inch.
GN: It was close enough to our destination to walk, so David pushed me to Queen Square.

GN: I was seen on time.
?GN: My regular consultant was on maternity leave so I was seen by a locum.
BN: They have remolished the clinic and there is not enough space for wheelchairs.
NN: I needed a blood test so Consultant gave me a form.
BN: The patient's name on the form was Kenneth **** whoops!

NN: After clinic, I used the loo.
BN: Nothing happened when I pressed the small flush button or the big flush button repeatedly. We reported this to clinic staff.

NN: We had time to kill as I had a meeting to chair a couple of miles away at 18.30.
BN: There was a voicemail message from the burglar alarm people to say my alarm had activated.
GN: From the timing, I reckoned there would not have been any intrusion as it was at the time were leaving the house.
GN: We had nice salads at Prêt A Manger.
NN: David thought he'd push me the two miles to my meeting.

BN: We passed the taxi that had died; it had still not budged after two hours though the AA was in attendance. Chatted briefly with driver (a regular).

BN: Alarm company rang to say alarm had briefly activated again...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1419 on: 20 May, 2014, 08:13:50 pm »
BN: I somehow tipped out of my wheelchair when I was unloaded from a cab.
GN: Apart from some minimal bruising to my head and right shoulder, I seem uninjured.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1420 on: 20 May, 2014, 08:18:26 pm »
GN: Tomorrow is my last day at the asylum until next Wednesday  :thumbsup:
BN: Have you seen the weather forecast for the weekend?  :sick: Perfect timing for a couple of overnighters on the Moors ...  ::-)

« Reply #1421 on: 21 May, 2014, 01:40:49 pm »

!

GN: Apart from some minimal bruising to my head and right shoulder, I seem uninjured.
Phew
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1422 on: 21 May, 2014, 01:42:20 pm »

How was the chair?  </obligatory post-off question> ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #1423 on: 21 May, 2014, 05:58:42 pm »
Bad news: I'm being hassled about the disc use of my email.
Amusing news: Said email included an advert for hello kitty knickers. Just my thing.  :)
Good news: I've actually made it back into work and started to catch up from the lurgy last week.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1424 on: 22 May, 2014, 01:10:13 am »

How was the chair?  </obligatory post-off question> ;D

The chair's fine.
I are a naughty gurl. I told my Mum I'd phone her after I arrived as she knew David was out; we'd shared the taxi, dropping her en route close to her abode.

After my off, I went to the loo and then phoned her. I told her I was in one piece; there is no evidence that this is not true.
I think my knowing about my off would upset her.