Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 394318 times)

Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #1475 on: 08 July, 2014, 08:59:46 pm »
GN: I don't have to fly out to Muscat this evening.

BN: I will be deploying the parachute on Saturday instead.

EBGN: the client has delayed approving my travel so I won't be going in the immediate future.

BN: this means the contractor won't be getting the support required and this part of the project is in trouble.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1476 on: 11 July, 2014, 09:12:29 am »
GN: They have filled in the pot holes on Shark Lane!

BN: See GN
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Ruth

« Reply #1477 on: 13 July, 2014, 05:57:11 pm »
BN:  I had to bribe The Boy to get him to pack any boxes for the move.

GN:  I bribed The Boy and he's packing the boxes for the move.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1478 on: 13 July, 2014, 09:06:45 pm »
GN:  The football's nearly over.

BN: The football starts again in a couple of weeks.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1479 on: 13 July, 2014, 09:20:11 pm »
GN: I can no longer hear the incessantly overflowing overflow from the building opposite.
BN: Nearby jazz festival.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1480 on: 14 July, 2014, 10:02:31 am »
Bad news: I've lost my Kindle. It fell out of my Barley somewhere between Victoria and Teddington on the way to work this morning. It's my own stupid fault, really - the bag was very full, so I didn't have it properly tucked inside the main compartment, just secured under the flap. I've done this before and got away with it but not this time. I first realised something was up when I got off my bike at work and noticed the flap seemed quite loose.  :facepalm:

Good news: it's an excuse to buy a new Kindle, one with a built-in light.  :thumbsup:

Bad news: I can't really afford such frivolous purchases at the moment. But I feel bereft without it.  :(
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1481 on: 14 July, 2014, 10:23:40 am »
Bad news: I've lost my Kindle. It fell out of my Barley somewhere between Victoria and Teddington on the way to work this morning. It's my own stupid fault, really - the bag was very full, so I didn't have it properly tucked inside the main compartment, just secured under the flap. I've done this before and got away with it but not this time. I first realised something was up when I got off my bike at work and noticed the flap seemed quite loose.  :facepalm:

Good news: it's an excuse to buy a new Kindle, one with a built-in light.  :thumbsup:

Bad news: I can't really afford such frivolous purchases at the moment. But I feel bereft without it.  :(

Bad news: YHPM
Good news: Fewer excuses ;)

(or should that be the other way around?)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1482 on: 14 July, 2014, 11:27:36 am »
Good news: yacf!  :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1483 on: 14 July, 2014, 12:43:21 pm »
BN: spent yesterday morning selling accumulated 'tat' from the garage that hadn't been unpacked in the 4 1/2 years since the house move.

GN:  despite me worrying that we wouldn't cover the £10 pitch cost, we made £50 profit! Sproggles have extra holiday pocket money  ;D

BN: we only took half the 'tat' from the garage, so we'll have to do another

GN: we only took half the 'tat' from the garage, so we'll have to do another
       It was, to my surprise, quite good fun, and we should make some more £ from the rest of the 'tat'....
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #1484 on: 15 July, 2014, 08:49:49 pm »
Good news.
N+1 has happened, got a 29er on the way :thumbsup:

Bad news.
I purchased it when my wife was out and have received a massive bollocking. She's not talking to me at present. Actually this may be good news too :thumbsup:

Its being delivered tomorrow so I'll be out on it with her ignoring me from afar ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #1485 on: 17 July, 2014, 10:39:37 am »

EBGN: the client has delayed approving my travel so I won't be going in the immediate future.

BN: this means the contractor won't be getting the support required and this part of the project is in trouble.

BN It's back on again flights are being booked for Saturday.

GN I hear Muscat is a nice place to visit.

« Reply #1486 on: 17 July, 2014, 11:27:10 am »

BN It's back on again flights are being booked for Saturday.

GN I hear Muscat is a nice place to visit.

There's a song about that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgCk3bnvO5Y

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1487 on: 18 July, 2014, 01:42:06 am »
BN: the car decided that three cylinders was sufficient when passing Edinburgh on the way south.

GN: It is no longer my problem

BN: retrieving the trailer may be difficult.

GN: the replacement waggon is big enough for everything
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1488 on: 18 July, 2014, 02:06:03 am »
GN I found the lost Naproxan tablets

BN I need them
It is simpler than it looks.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1489 on: 19 July, 2014, 12:41:44 pm »
BN : Volvo fails MOT
GN due only to one of the two rear number plate light bulbs being non-operable

no too shabby for a 14 y.o. vehicle.

GN: the 'orrible noise emenating from the rear o/side was not tyre related
BN :the 'orrible noise emenating from the rear o/side was another wheel bearing failure

GN : the various malfunctioning functions relating to the tailgate,none of which result in an MOT failure, (HRW,lock*,wiper, ) were restored to operation following repair to broken wiring in the tailgate loom.
BN : this required the attentions a person with a licence to print £, a.k.a. an auto electrician.

GN : the cause of high level brake light failure in the tailgate was identified as
BN : a failed relay of some description which costs approx. £260 :o. I'll have this done when I win the lottery.Meantime I can live without it.

BN : the fuel filter was replaced upon tester's recommendation
GN : NisNIbs was not in attendance so he left staff with instructions to give me the keys & asked for me to pop in during the week to settle the bill.It is rather flattering to be so trusted.You don't get that a main dealership.

GN : *this restored the operation of the remote central locking via key fob

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1490 on: 21 July, 2014, 10:16:09 am »

GN : the various malfunctioning functions relating to the tailgate,none of which result in an MOT failure, (HRW,lock*,wiper, ) were restored to operation following repair to broken wiring in the tailgate loom.
BN : this required the attentions a person with a licence to print £, a.k.a. an auto electrician.

puck a fig

My wallet is in need of cardiac massage ::-)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1491 on: 21 July, 2014, 04:44:25 pm »
Hurrah: I have a new North American road atlas :thumbsup:
Bah: I should have bought the spiral-bound version, not the large format :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1492 on: 31 July, 2014, 11:40:51 pm »
BN: My hearing aid got knocked out while hugging a friend at BiCon this evening. When I picked it up off the floor it was dead.

GN: I had packed my spare hearing aid so I was able to say to friend it was OK, calmly walk back to my room, chuck a battery in BAHA #2, have a quick 'definitely dead' test on #1 and carry on my BiCon.

GN: Friend is not worried that my hearing aid is broken and believed me when I said it wasn't her fault. These things happen and this is the 1st time in 23.5yrs of using bone anchored hearing aids that one has broken immediately after getting knocked out and they can get knocked out a lot.

« Reply #1493 on: 02 August, 2014, 12:43:09 pm »
GN: This has been a pretty good summer so far.

BN: As soon as I go camping in The Peaks, it pisses down non-stop. Almost biblically on Thursday afternoon. My shoes are still soaking from that downpour.

GN: The venerable Vaude Taurus II tent has withstood everything thrown at it.

BN: I really want to go home. it's not fun. But some friends are coming for the night, so we're stuck here another night, whilst they sleep soundly in the bunk house.

BN: A couple in a nearby tent decided it was good to carry on chatting at normal volume well into the early hours last night. Twunts.

GN: I have Monday off to recover.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1494 on: 02 August, 2014, 01:24:31 pm »
Hurrah!  I have taken delivery of my new doorbell :thumbsup:
Bah!  It's b0rked. One of the terminals, and associated wiring, for connecting the bell wire to the coil is simply NOT THERE.  There is no way it could have fallen off.  Gits >:(  >:(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1495 on: 02 August, 2014, 03:03:18 pm »

Does it do Rod Hull?   :D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1496 on: 02 August, 2014, 03:26:39 pm »

Does it do Rod Hull?   :D

Eh ???

I do know that Half Man Half Biscuit don't play Rod Hull Is Alive - Why? live these days.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #1497 on: 02 August, 2014, 03:32:47 pm »
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=80029.25

Quote from: Basil on February 07, 2014, 07:20:28 PM

I've still no idea what Kim means by a Rod Hull door bell.
    IANW.

http://youtu.be/FZiAU6ydtv8

(If you're of a generation that was never exposed to this programme, count yourself lucky.)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1498 on: 02 August, 2014, 06:05:36 pm »
Hurrah!  I now have a working doorbell, energised by the voles and ants that come out of the wall.  Went and bought one from Screwfix (which I should probably have done in the first place), recycled the power lead from a dead cassette deck to supply anbarism to the transformer.  All worked first time which was something of a surprise, especially to anyone who has witnessed my attempts to home-brew bicycle lighting systems.

Bah!  My feet hurt and I still have to parcel up the DOA one for collection by Nozama's Minion on Monday.  If said minion doesn't use the doorbell to attract my attention s/he will be killed utterly to DETH.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1499 on: 02 August, 2014, 06:47:47 pm »
BN: My hearing aid got knocked out while hugging a friend at BiCon this evening. When I picked it up off the floor it was dead.

GN: I had packed my spare hearing aid so I was able to say to friend it was OK, calmly walk back to my room, chuck a battery in BAHA #2, have a quick 'definitely dead' test on #1 and carry on my BiCon.

And then the bloody fucking second spare starts conking out and DIED on me at 6pm.  Can't get home and back before end of BiCon, really can't hear at all. Am at use laptop and hope stage.  Fucking public fucking transport and total unfair having TWO hearing aids fail on me.