Author Topic: Carradice Bag Supports?  (Read 7882 times)

Carradice Bag Supports?
« on: 12 January, 2019, 08:58:27 am »
So!

I've got a bag support, but try as I might it tends to drop - causing trouble with my brakes.

I'm now using my old proper pannier rack to support the bag but it seems like a waste of weight. (It's from Aldi, so built like a bloody tank)

I could just use a pannier bag, or buy a new bag that wouldn't need supporting but I'm loathed to waste.

So...

Anyone got a bodge idea / tips?

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: Carradice Bag Supports?
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2019, 09:28:14 am »
What bag on what bike? Do you have enough seat post exposed for something like the Carradice SQR system? Pics of the problem would help if possible.  :)

« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2019, 11:13:24 am »
What bag on what bike? Do you have enough seat post exposed for something like the Carradice SQR system? Pics of the problem would help if possible.  :)
Oh yeah. Details.

It's a Carradice Longflap on a Trek Alpha 1.2.

There would be room for their SQR - but it's so damn pricey. I do have screws for a mount in the actual frame - as you can see in the pictures - but the right hand side just won't come out and my attempts so far have only damaged the paint work.

« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2019, 11:39:36 am »
I recommend the Bagman support if you've got enough space on the saddle rails to fit one.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2019, 01:01:49 pm »
Another possibility is the Carradice Classic rack: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/carradice-classic-saddlebag-rack/

Might be too small for a Camper Longflap though, if that's what bag you have. But what bag support have you been using so far that "tends to drop"?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2019, 05:35:00 pm »
This is what I have at the moment...ignore the rust - it's old.

I had attached it on the seat stay, but that doesn't seem able to actually support it.

The classic support looks as though it might work.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 12 January, 2019, 05:43:33 pm »
It looks to me like you haven't got enough seat post showing to use an SQR, but I think Carradice give a figure on their website so you could measure.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: 14 January, 2019, 01:02:04 am »
>I had attached it on the seat stay, but that doesn't seem able to actually support it.

Doubt it ever will; those holes (with suspicious looking notch in l/h for a keyed binder bolt?) look bigger than any bolt you'd get into a seat stay, so you're not going to stop rotation, no matter how much MONGO you apply -

I'd guess you're missing a clamp that went around seatpost at required level (like above), thus allowing resting of protective covered (where the tape is wrapped) frame against the stays.

Best bodge is couple of toestraps from the cross support rail up and threaded over the seatpost then saddle rails, just in front of the rail cradle.

Best solution - toss it in favour of something that works.

I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #8 on: 14 January, 2019, 05:39:05 pm »
I had attached it on the seat stay, but that doesn't seem able to actually support it.
How had you attached it?  It is designed to hang from the seat tube/saddle pillar pinch bolt using the old style with a big nut (as iddu says).  It will not fit a modern type with recessed allen key bolt, you would need to fashion another fixing point.  It would not have come with a separate clamp - because we did not need one. These bag supports were primarily from the 60s/70s when many of us used centrepull or cantilever brakes, and the raised bar is to keep the bag clear of the brake straddle wire or other cable.  You can see a slightly different shape support in the picture on page 27 http://classiclightweights.net/united-kingdom/holdsworth/bike-riders-aids-1967-8/

« Reply #9 on: 14 January, 2019, 06:05:13 pm »
It looks to me like you haven't got enough seat post showing to use an SQR, but I think Carradice give a figure on their website so you could measure.
I'd agree with Cudzoziemiec.
If memory serves (and it is a good few years since I fitted an SQR to one of my bikes) Carradice's website quoted something like a minimum exposed seat-post of 135mm.
IME the minimum exposed seat-post requirement is more like 185mm.
Pics of your's, EllysH, look like it's less than that.

« Reply #10 on: 14 January, 2019, 06:51:02 pm »
Hmm.

Right, for now I'm just gonna stick with my pannier rack while I find a suitable stay.

Unless this would fit?

ETC Seat Clamp for Carrier - Black, 28.6 mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0057OM4W6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WNnpCbR8VH525