Author Topic: The "Buzzard" is back!  (Read 9281 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Re: The "Buzzard" is back!
« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2017, 12:49:14 pm »
"RSPCA confirmed it is a buzzard".

The Devon one is long gone.  It met its match trying to intimidate a van.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2017, 12:59:12 pm »
Aha.  (That piece has been updated since I posted it)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2017, 06:33:11 pm »
I was expecting to read about a popular ride back on the calendar.  #Disappointed.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2017, 06:56:47 pm »
I was expecting to read about a popular ride back on the calendar.  #Disappointed.

It's not been away.  60 something entries so far.

« Reply #5 on: 28 June, 2017, 07:38:52 am »
OK, not a buzzard, but equally intimidating...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-40412209/cyclist-repeatedly-attacked-by-staffordshire-bird-of-prey

Cromer Hill going into Milwich. Stop for a calming drink in tbe Green Man if you survive!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 28 June, 2017, 08:15:33 am »
That has happened here to a couple of blokes I know. One of them had to do battle with his pump. Fortunately he's a traditionalist and uses a full-length frame pump.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

essexian

« Reply #7 on: 28 June, 2017, 08:24:44 am »
Given the "speed" I go up that hill, I think I am best staying away from the area or I am likely to become bird food! :o

Do we know if the bird hangs out before or after the farm on the left as you go up hill: I could not tell from the film?

« Reply #8 on: 30 June, 2017, 05:08:00 pm »
Given the "speed" I go up that hill, I think I am best staying away from the area or I am likely to become bird food! :o

Do we know if the bird hangs out before or after the farm on the left as you go up hill: I could not tell from the film?

after the farm.

« Reply #9 on: 03 July, 2017, 07:46:55 am »
Anybody tell me what the parking situation around Leighton Buzzard trains station is like please?

« Reply #10 on: 03 July, 2017, 09:05:11 am »
Anybody tell me what the parking situation around Leighton Buzzard trains station is like please?

There's long-stay at the station.  This app suggests £11.60.
https://www.londonmidlandparking.com/consumer/find-and-book/carparks/leightonbuzzard

« Reply #11 on: 03 July, 2017, 02:49:44 pm »

Dominic, I'm thinking it might be better to cycle to the event. There's a space on my driveway if you'd like to join me. It's 28 miles to the start from Northampton.

« Reply #12 on: 03 July, 2017, 03:29:12 pm »

Dominic, I'm thinking it might be better to cycle to the event. There's a space on my driveway if you'd like to join me. It's 28 miles to the start from Northampton.

Agreed.  It's always better to warm-up before a big event.

« Reply #13 on: 03 July, 2017, 04:26:55 pm »
I'll be cycling from MK. Not far enough to ece 100km unless I do a loop. Only done this ride once, on my birthday (hint!) as my second 600 for LEL 2013, when I struggled to eat (dehydrated?). Hoping to enjoy it more this time!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #14 on: 03 July, 2017, 09:23:54 pm »
Sorry Ritchie, I just read the buzzard forum and noticed you are planning doing the Buzzard this weekend also.  See you at LB station this Saturday and discuss the flat liner perm further.
Raymond
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #15 on: 03 July, 2017, 09:45:25 pm »
Buzzard forum?

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #16 on: 03 July, 2017, 10:13:51 pm »
Buzzard forum?
Yep, my error. Too much audaxing......not enough sense.
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #17 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:06:22 am »

[/quote]

Sounds like a plan, let me know if you decide to.  Message me your details as and when if you do.  Very kind offer.  Not sure I will be thinking that on the way back though!!

« Reply #18 on: 04 July, 2017, 02:19:21 pm »
PM sent Dominic..

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #19 on: 05 July, 2017, 05:17:15 pm »
Regarding this weekend's ride(s), rather than our feathered friends fiends: what are people's sleep plans for Saturday night? I've booked a travelodge near pangbourne but now I've done some proper time calculations it seems rather pointless and very many £ per minute given how long I'll actually be able to spend there...so thinking I may cancel and take a bivvy bag instead.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #20 on: 05 July, 2017, 05:36:31 pm »
In 2013 I rode with someone looking for a haystack, while I wasn't planning on stopping. We ended up resting in a McD in the early hours (can't remember if we nodded off).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #21 on: 05 July, 2017, 05:43:29 pm »
Last Thursday night–well, Friday morning to be accurate–I stopped at the Holiday Inn on the A4 just before Woolhampton.  I believe that is full, but there's another motel-style place a few 100m before, which might have rooms. 

Obviously this applies to Exe-Buzzard riders only.

« Reply #22 on: 06 July, 2017, 09:50:12 am »
We've got a room booked at the Grange Best Western.  It's a couple of k past the left turn in Woolhampton.  They still have rooms I believe.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #23 on: 08 July, 2017, 09:51:56 am »
Just back from getting a bit of shopping done in Pangbourne where I witnessed several LB starters controlling at the Co-op.  Sun is shining and it's going to be a hot day down to Exeter.  Good luck everyone, and enjoy the ride.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #24 on: 08 July, 2017, 10:43:03 am »
The Exe-Buzzards should be through sometime during the small hours.