General Category > Freewheeling

What bike for instructing?

(1/3) > >>

gordon taylor:
If all goes to plan, I'm taking the Bikeability Instructor course in the summer.

Is there an ideal bike for instructing... gears? singlespeed? drops? straight bars? clipless?

Any tips would be appreciated.

delthebike:
If it was me I'd go for hub gears and brakes, easy maintenance. (Carrera Subway 8 springs to mind)

eck:
That's good news Gordy.  :thumbsup:

Do you mean a bike for you to use as an instructor?

I use my old steel Marin Bear Valley, which is fine. I think it's better not to have too "flash" a bike, which mine certainly isn't, just one that comfortable and reliable. The only adjustment I do is to lower my saddle a little, as you'll be doing a lot more stopping and starting than you'll be used to. I tried using mine with flat pedals but am much happier with SPDs, especially if you're doing "advanced manoeuvres". Definitely straight bars, and I'd say you should have gears if using gears is something you'll be teaching. Again, I'd say it should be derailleurs because that's what 99% of your learners will have  - unless they've got BMXs  ::-) ;) Oh, and not big knobbly tyres.

HTH Have fun!  :)

orienteer:
I generally use a Brompton, as it's convenient for using any mode of transport. Kids are usually fascinated by it, and it has both types of gears!

keepontriking:
Brommie here too. ;)
The trainees are fascinated and its parking fold is just so convenient.
I've found it by far the best bike to use.

I use a standard road tourer (Roberts) for when I need to ride some distance to the training venue, but I always have to explain its not "pink", its cerise  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version