Author Topic: [HAMR] Steve's Kit  (Read 54483 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Steve's Kit
« Reply #150 on: 10 February, 2015, 01:41:29 pm »
As I say, some don't care as they don't find it to be a problem. I have overlap with the mudguard of my fixed and I mostly track stand at lights during my London suburban commute.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and this is yacf, so hey, correct me even if I'm not wrong) but I would have thought toe overlap and trackstanding is a sub optimal configuration option

If you have big feet and a short torso, especially if your legs aren't long, you'll need a small frame with a short top tube. Toe overlap is likely...

If you have long legs and a short back, you might be a Marsh Gibbon...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #151 on: 10 February, 2015, 06:57:07 pm »
As I say, some don't care as they don't find it to be a problem. I have overlap with the mudguard of my fixed and I mostly track stand at lights during my London suburban commute.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and this is yacf, so hey, correct me even if I'm not wrong) but I would have thought toe overlap and trackstanding is a sub optimal configuration option
I am not blessed with the relevant skill,  but I think the idea is to turn the front wheel towards your "forward" foot. If  its going well you only make quite small steering movements - shouldn't need to ever turn the bars far enough back the other way to catch your toe.

(I don't like toe overlap,  but am well aware that some deal with it quite happily. Handy!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #152 on: 11 February, 2015, 12:00:19 am »

I don't find it a big deal either, but it's not as though I'm swinging the front wheel back and forth when track standing.

You have to be aware of it, but I've never found it a problem. Going through tight chicanes on daft anti-cyclist gates, it's just a matter of adjusting your speed and remembering to angle your foot, but for me, that's about as much hassle as I get.

All things being equal, I'd rather not have toe overlap, but I find it a minor issue and it wouldn't put me off a bike.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #153 on: 11 February, 2015, 02:12:17 pm »
I once almost fell off through toe overlap, on a very tight corner - you turn through more than 270 degrees, going uphill and carry on climbing. The next time, I remembered this, so took it really wide - and nearly lost the front wheel on some gravel!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #154 on: 11 February, 2015, 02:35:18 pm »
Toe overlap, very tight corner, badly-trimmed mudguard stay with no plastic cap, open-toed sandals = trail of blood on the road from Craig-cefn-parc to Rhyd-y-pandy.

« Reply #155 on: 12 February, 2015, 01:06:58 pm »
I am interested in the performance of Steves Tubeless tires.  My understanding is so far he has only had one  puncture.  Is this correct and what was the situation surrounding this flat?

« Reply #156 on: 12 February, 2015, 02:43:32 pm »
I am interested in the performance of Steves Tubeless tires.  My understanding is so far he has only had one  puncture.  Is this correct and what was the situation surrounding this flat?

He'd shredded the sidewalls on a couple of tyres during the first 3 weeks ..... but I haven't heard any rumours/details since then.
Perhaps Swiss Hat could enlighten us ........

..... also has no.1 bike's front wheel received new bearings yet ?

Leo

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #157 on: 12 February, 2015, 03:17:08 pm »
[HT2 bearings]
All I seem to read about is how the newer BB bearings need replacing because of water ingress causing failure and corrosion etc
I'd be interested to know exactly what is the Hope BB Steve has on the Raleigh ? [Or maybe there is only the one and that's it].

I think it's the old problem - you read these things but you don't hear from the thousands of users who haven't encountered any problems.  I think the new external-type BBs are a significant advance over the old type, and aside from anything else, they are extremely easy to replace.  If Steve were to arrive back at base complaining of roughness in the BB department, fitting replacement bearings is a 10-minute job.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #158 on: 12 February, 2015, 03:24:48 pm »
The Red bike that had front wheel play is at the LBS for overhaul this week. 

The Red bike work log shows:
780 miles - tyre sidewall damage. Wheel swapped on return to home.
1128 - bad puncture which Steve "helped seal - now ok"
1650 - original wheel installed with new tyre.
2530 - tyre slashed and replaced.   
No further reported tyre problems until front wheel play developed ~ 4500 miles.

The Silver bike that Steve used after the Red bike has no reported problems in 2200 miles. This is the at home spare which is ready to go after chain & cassette change.

The Black bike has been in use this week. No reported problems.

So it looks like there has been only 1 puncture that delayed Steve at 1128 miles and 2 cases of tyre damage where Steve was able to continue home and then replace tyre/wheel. That's excellent in ~7800 miles of winter cycling :thumbsup:

« Reply #159 on: 12 February, 2015, 03:47:28 pm »

I misread that to start with and assumed Steve had had to replace it at the roadside. If that really is one puncture requiring on the road attention so far, and all that needed was 'help to seal', then that's fantastic.

« Reply #160 on: 12 February, 2015, 03:58:20 pm »

I misread that to start with and assumed Steve had had to replace it at the roadside. If that really is one puncture requiring on the road attention so far, and all that needed was 'help to seal', then that's fantastic.

Yes it may be that he replaced it at the roadside rather than at home as I originally thought. He does carry a spare tyre in the Carradice.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #161 on: 12 February, 2015, 04:49:05 pm »
How's that reflective tape on the rims holding up?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #162 on: 12 February, 2015, 05:09:44 pm »

Fantastic - see pic from thread a few days ago. Also on the frame, forks and rack as shown. It's a Scotchlite product that appears black in daylight but really stands out when illuminated.

« Reply #163 on: 12 February, 2015, 05:16:25 pm »
It's a Scotchlite product that appears black in daylight but really stands out when illuminated.

I bought some recently from ebay  .....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141424356578?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=440567170308&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Leo

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #164 on: 12 February, 2015, 06:01:56 pm »

Fantastic - see pic from thread a few days ago. Also on the frame, forks and rack as shown. It's a Scotchlite product that appears black in daylight but really stands out when illuminated.

You can just make out the tape in this early morning shot of the black bike. Top tube and the front rim between the decal and the floor

It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #165 on: 12 February, 2015, 06:29:23 pm »

My experience of Scotchlite on rims is disappointing, but I suppose the combination of disc brakes and getting a regular wipe from non-bored fettlers helps a fair bit.  The advantage over the usual 3M spoke reflectors is no aero penalty.

(I'm a big fan of the black Scotchlite in general though, and it's being used to good effect there.)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #166 on: 12 February, 2015, 09:18:32 pm »

Yes, it was that pic that went ping.  I ordered some tape yesterday but not Scotchlite.

I have 3M spoke reflectors on one spoke in 3 but in a strong side-wind they're murderous. When I had them on every spoke they damn near succeeded.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #167 on: 12 February, 2015, 10:02:42 pm »
I wonder how many more miles Steve could do over the year if he routed his gear cables through his tribars like most people do? ;)

« Reply #168 on: 12 February, 2015, 10:06:27 pm »
I am not convinced by the temperature figures on Steve's Strava logs.  For example today it shows zero degrees for the bulk of the ride apart from the stops whereas the weather reports suggest that it was more like 3-4 degC in the area where he was cycling.

« Reply #169 on: 12 February, 2015, 10:53:50 pm »
I wonder how many more miles Steve could do over the year if he routed his gear cables through his tribars like most people do? ;)

Two?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #170 on: 13 February, 2015, 01:51:45 am »
I am not convinced by the temperature figures on Steve's Strava logs.  For example today it shows zero degrees for the bulk of the ride apart from the stops whereas the weather reports suggest that it was more like 3-4 degC in the area where he was cycling.

Well, quoted figures tend to be based on being in a built-up area /conurbation where it does tend to be warmer than out in the sticks where Steve spends most of his rides.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #171 on: 13 February, 2015, 05:32:40 am »

Yes it may be that he replaced it at the roadside rather than at home as I originally thought. He does carry a spare tyre in the Carradice.

Checked with Steve:
1128 miles - tyre lost some pressure but sealed and then needed to be pumped up
2530 - slashed tyre replaced at roadside

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #172 on: 13 February, 2015, 10:51:42 am »
Interesting. Was the roadside replacement with a tube or does he carry a compressor in that rack pack too? ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #173 on: 13 February, 2015, 11:09:12 am »

Yes, it was that pic that went ping.  I ordered some tape yesterday but not Scotchlite.

I have 3M spoke reflectors on one spoke in 3 but in a strong side-wind they're murderous. When I had them on every spoke they damn near succeeded.
Interesting. I've always been side-wind-phobic but it had never occurred to me the spoke reflectors were making things worse. I don't recall feeling any difference when I first added them, and they are pretty small. Still, viewed simply as reflectors, the tape probably offers a larger area and is less likely to be hidden by the angle of the rims.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #174 on: 13 February, 2015, 03:31:30 pm »

Well, quoted figures tend to be based on being in a built-up area /conurbation where it does tend to be warmer than out in the sticks where Steve spends most of his rides.

I agree that Met Office etc forecast temperatures appear to be based on built-up areas but I was looking at recorded temperatures from places like Wittering which has a real 'sticks' feel about it.

On a related thought  -  do you get frost hollows in the Fens ?