Author Topic: "Summer" touring tyres.  (Read 10244 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: "Summer" touring tyres.
« Reply #25 on: 21 January, 2019, 06:02:13 am »
Planet X are selling the excellent Vittoria G+ Revolution for £8 right now.

I've had these tyres on my deliveroo bike since last March. Done approx 5000 km on them and not one visit from the fairy.

Sizes 28-42mm https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVITREVG/vittoria-revolution-g-graphene-700c-wired-tyre

No brainer! I'm getting a few pairs as a stockpile...
I dd consider those, but put off by the weight of them, even heavier than marathon greenguard!

« Reply #26 on: 21 January, 2019, 06:58:13 am »
Planet X are selling the excellent Vittoria G+ Revolution for £8 right now.

I've had these tyres on my deliveroo bike since last March. Done approx 5000 km on them and not one visit from the fairy.

Sizes 28-42mm https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVITREVG/vittoria-revolution-g-graphene-700c-wired-tyre

No brainer! I'm getting a few pairs as a stockpile...

Out of interest, how is the ride quality on these? I find my Marathon shod Croix de Fer feels basically unstoppable, but the ride is a bit harsh.

Tks

A

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #27 on: 21 January, 2019, 07:24:20 am »
I think it's terrific. Presumably even better in the wider versions.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #28 on: 21 January, 2019, 07:41:32 am »
Enjoy your new tyres Brian! Am sure you will and you got a bargain there to boot!
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

BrianI

« Reply #29 on: 29 January, 2019, 03:26:16 pm »
Lol, still not fitted or tried them yet, still to cold and icy to get out cycling.  :-[

« Reply #30 on: 29 January, 2019, 04:05:29 pm »
Lol, still not fitted or tried them yet, still to cold and icy to get out cycling.  :-[

I'm still riding my Hewitt Cheviot on my 32mm Supremes almost every day, though getting home tonight might get interesting...

« Reply #31 on: 29 January, 2019, 06:33:53 pm »

these vittorias have one major snag; if you ride where there are flints, they get stuck in the tread grooves. After this happens you are dependant on the puncture-resistance of the tyre.   Where I am, quite a few riders have ditched tyres with this kind of tread (but not necessarily the same carcass) after just a few hundred (puncture-infested) miles. Even if you don't get punctures, the sound of myriad little stones trapped in the tyres can drive you absolutely crackers.

cheers

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 29 January, 2019, 09:37:12 pm »
My trailer tyres are of that sort of pattern, and do seem remarkably efficient at collecting small stones etc from the gutter or middle of the road where they inevitably end up.  They've never actually punctured, but I put that down to relatively few miles and not bearing a lot of weight.

BrianI

« Reply #33 on: 12 February, 2019, 04:23:33 pm »
First ride with the 32mm Marathon Supreme today. A mere 2.4km each way commute to work.
Certainly plusher compared to the old Marathon greenguard.   :thumbsup:

BrianI

« Reply #34 on: 17 February, 2019, 07:51:17 am »
First ride with the 32mm Marathon Supreme today. A mere 2.4km each way commute to work.

Flat tyre on the front of the bike yesterday. Hopefully it was just a duff valve on the tube, certainly could not feel anything in the tyre, or see any holes in the tube once inflated...

« Reply #35 on: 17 February, 2019, 09:41:27 am »

Flat tyre on the front of the bike yesterday. Hopefully it was just a duff valve on the tube, certainly could not feel anything in the tyre, or see any holes in the tube once inflated...

That's bad luck, have had my current set on my daily commuter for about 18 months with no punctures

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #36 on: 17 February, 2019, 09:50:36 am »
I've been wondering whether Panaracer Gravel King would be a suitable alternative to Paselas. Been riding the Gravel King SK on my Cross-Check with no problems. Can get a tubeless version too.

« Reply #37 on: 17 February, 2019, 09:28:14 pm »
I've been wondering whether Panaracer Gravel King would be a suitable alternative to Paselas. Been riding the Gravel King SK on my Cross-Check with no problems. Can get a tubeless version too.

They're good.

My GF has a 26mm Gravelking on the rear of her bike.
5100+ miles and still with plenty of life (it would seem) left.
She's happy with the grip and the rolling resistance.
One puncture and that on a thorn-tastic ride that also took out a Marathon Plus, a Marathon Supreme and a GP 4 Seasons.
The GK had the decency to stay inflated enough to get to the pub where we could repair it over beer and with warmth and copious quantities of soap and water. The other tyres were less thoughtful.
It was a *kin cold day.

My experience of Pasela TGs wasn't great: OK up to a certain point and then puncture, puncture, puncture, bin.
If 32mm Gravelking SKs weren't so suited to my riding, I'd use the "ordinary" Gravelkings.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #38 on: 18 February, 2019, 11:23:11 am »
I must admit to having become a fan of Continental GP 4000 SII tyres (now superseded by a supposed even better GP5000).
I have run 25's and 28's (depending on bicycle clearance) year round for over 2 years now (15000+ km) with only a single unscheduled deflation due to a shard of glass working through.
They roll REALLY fast and, with a 330 tpi casing, are supple and comfortable. Chalk as cheese speed and comfort wise compared with Marathons.

(Tyres used up so far: Stelvio Plus, Stelvio, Durano plus, Marathon, Marathon Supreme, Marathon Plus, Bontrager AWS, Marathon Winter)

dat

« Reply #39 on: 18 February, 2019, 11:33:00 am »

They're good.
I've been running 38mm Gravelkings for three weeks. I've had my front tyre let loose twice on a slightly muddy country road and got a flat yesterday. Super comfy but I'm going to be swapping the front out for an SK if I get loose at again.
My GF has a 26mm Gravelking on the rear of her bike.
5100+ miles and still with plenty of life (it would seem) left.
She's happy with the grip and the rolling resistance.
One puncture and that on a thorn-tastic ride that also took out a Marathon Plus, a Marathon Supreme and a GP 4 Seasons.
The GK had the decency to stay inflated enough to get to the pub where we could repair it over beer and with warmth and copious quantities of soap and water. The other tyres were less thoughtful.
It was a *kin cold day.

My experience of Pasela TGs wasn't great: OK up to a certain point and then puncture, puncture, puncture, bin.
If 32mm Gravelking SKs weren't so suited to my riding, I'd use the "ordinary" Gravelkings.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #40 on: 02 March, 2019, 10:32:17 am »
How are the Supremes running? I'm looking for fast rolling 35c tyres to replace Vittoria Randonneurs on my LHT. Currently wavering between Paselas (tubed obviously) and Gravel King but interest in Supremes is sparked because I notice that they can be run tubeless.

« Reply #41 on: 03 March, 2019, 10:20:40 am »
Do you need tread, Windy?

I'm still loving my Hypers. 37mm, riding on bad tarmac and riverside paths. Roll well (not just my impression, the bike rolling resistance measurements say so) and very lush feeling. They are a 'slick' though.

Supremes might be a bit better.

Hypers are a bit cheaper I think.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #42 on: 03 March, 2019, 10:41:08 am »
I used to run Michelin World Tours. I’ve not thought of them for ages, but a quick google shows they’re still available, cheap, and seemingly well received.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #43 on: 03 March, 2019, 11:57:52 am »
May I put a word in for Vittoria Corsa G+ Controls? Expensive but Ive been really enjoying mine. Fitted them as a winter tyre but see no reason to change them back. Only had them since October so can't speak for their longevity, but they are fast, grippy, fun to ride + seem pretty tough.

« Reply #44 on: 03 March, 2019, 03:49:49 pm »
I used to run Michelin World Tours. I’ve not thought of them for ages, but a quick google shows they’re still available, cheap, and seemingly well received.
I have some on a bike.
By comparison with modern tyres they are not good. Reasonable grip, not poor puncture resistance (not impressive, either). Relatively high rolling resistance (compared to 'good' modern tyres).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #45 on: 03 March, 2019, 04:50:43 pm »

I'm still loving my Hypers. 37mm, riding on bad tarmac and riverside paths. Roll well (not just my impression, the bike rolling resistance measurements say so) and very lush feeling. They are a 'slick' though.

Cheers, hadn't thought about Hypers - I do like my Radonneurs, they're just a bit 'heavy'

« Reply #46 on: 04 March, 2019, 10:47:03 am »
I'm on my second set of Hypers, love them although I suspect they can't be as durable as Marathons.
Reine de la Fauche

BrianI

« Reply #47 on: 13 March, 2019, 08:46:13 am »

That's bad luck, have had my current set on my daily commuter for about 18 months with no punctures

Looks like it was a valve stem leak. No tube in, and no deflations.

The Supremes (32mm) are certainly a nice tyre, nice and plush compared to the rather wooden feeling 32mm marathon greenguard

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #48 on: 23 September, 2019, 11:09:14 pm »

Been using Hypers on my LHT this year with no problems. Currently £5 at Planet X

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOWT/vittoria-voyager-wired-tyre

« Reply #49 on: 23 September, 2019, 11:53:55 pm »

Been using Hypers on my LHT this year with no problems. Currently £5 at Planet X

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOWT/vittoria-voyager-wired-tyre

the link appears to be for standard voyagers, not voyager hypers. Despite what the description says, standard voyagers have a coarser carcass, and considerably more weight and  rolling resistance vs hypers.

cheers