Author Topic: Wheelbuilding, for cannon  (Read 1112 times)

Wheelbuilding, for cannon
« on: 03 January, 2019, 03:21:37 pm »
One man builds wheels for cannon, that's hubs, spokes, rims and tyres made of mahogany and steel. The completed wheels weigh about 75kg each. Part 1 of 12 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDybjDGBLg0

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Wheelbuilding, for cannon
« Reply #1 on: 04 January, 2019, 07:30:25 am »
He's brilliant isn't he? Such a laid back voice and attitude. Watch the series about the Borax wagon for some really big wheels. The gadget he uses for heating the steel tyres on his normal sized carts is spkendid too - two oxyacetylene torches play on the tyre while it spins slowly past them. Meanwhile he's elsewhere in the workshop doing stuff.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2 on: 04 January, 2019, 09:55:08 am »
Then he carries the near red hot rim using two mole grips, no gloves!

I learnt that cannon wheels are dished: that allows the rigid spokes to transfer axial loads to the rim. And some wheels have solid rubber rims where the rubber is held is compression by steel wires.

« Reply #3 on: 04 January, 2019, 10:54:59 am »
The house next door to us is built on the plot that was the village carpenters workshop. The last carpenter is still living in the village, he's in his 90s now. It was his fathers and grandfathers business before him and they made everything needed locally from coffins to waggon wheels. He told me about when he was young making wagon wheels then rolling them down the hill to the blacksmiths to get them shod with iron hoops. Fascinating guy.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.